Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Beach

S

syrup1971

VIP Member
Hi,

I've posted in a couple of other forums, but thought now that I have officially ordered my Beach, I should introduce myself.

I've ordered a 7 seater, yellow beach.

Now pick up scheduled yet, but very excited to join the California owning crowd.

Chris

& it was Christened by my Mother-in-law last night as

"The Yellow Submarine"

Made me chuckle, and highly appropriate.

Welcome to the gang Chris

what spec did you go for?

I am having a sticker made up - Life's a Beach lol

James

It's the showroom model from Tonbridge VW. Yellow Bluemotion, with parking heater, 7 seats & front & rear parking sensors. Aftermarket BT kit being fitted before I pick it up next Friday.

There are a couple of other options I'd have liked (privacy/laminated glass, folding mirrors, heated seats), but actually having this one available was probably a good thing, as it stopped me pushing the price too far North!

Of course - you've said lol - sorry - trying to do several things at once lol. Nice van - seemed like a very nice dealership.

Put up some pics

:)

James

Ah - our own section.

I test drove one - a bluemotion - I'd like to know how this engine performs as it is new to the UK market. My short test drive did not reveal any noticable shortcomings although I was confused by the start/stop.

It did not feel as rapid and as quick through the gears as a 140 but i would not expect it to be and it did not feel sluggish compared to a 140bhp - and i am interested in what mpg you can get out of it.

Any general driving impressions?

James

I'm hoping to achieve at least 40MPG. My daily commute is about 23 miles each way, 97% on Motorway, which I normally take at 55-60.

I have to confess, I haven't actually driven a Bluemotion yet, but then I'm not expecting a speed demon. It may though, take a while to get used the doubling of the 0-60 time compared with my current Altea Freetrack!

Probably a section for just 2 of us at the moment, though I noticed Luke was looking at the Beach, though seems to have been swayed over to the darkside of the full cali ;)

syrup1971 said:
I'm hoping to achieve at least 40MPG. My daily commute is about 23 miles each way, 97% on Motorway, which I normally take at 55-60.

I have to confess, I haven't actually driven a Bluemotion yet, but then I'm not expecting a speed demon. It may though, take a while to get used the doubling of the 0-60 time compared with my current Altea Freetrack!

Probably a section for just 2 of us at the moment, though I noticed Luke was looking at the Beach, though seems to have been swayed over to the darkside of the full cali ;)

I can understand Luke's dilemma - we seem to be a forum of two. I don't know if you have looked, the Brandup Accessories brochure has some good bits.

I drove a bluemotion round an industrial estate in Peterborough and it felt fine. It's nowhere near as quick as my 2007 2.0d Volvo C30 (Ford 2.0 Diesel Engine) but it is far more refined and in many respects easier and nicer to drive.

I think keeping the speed down to 55-60 will make a big difference.

syrup1971 said:
Still on ebay at the moment, quite a few pics there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320871544781? ... 1365wt_937

I have to confess, I haven't seen it in the flesh yet, though looked over similar spec ones at VW in Guilford (unfortunately, not Bluemotion)

Devils Advocate here - 30k plus is a lot for a car - what made you go for VW Cali Beach - just interested.

What is the appeal for you?

I wanted a bigger car, we frequently go camping or places, and I couldn't fit things like the inflatable canoe etc. etc. in the current car. The Beach (in Bluemotion form) struck me as something I could just about justify in terms of taxation & fuel bills, whilst being a wholly practical vehicle for daily commute, shopping trips, trips to Ikea etc. etc.

I was considering (amongst others), the VW caddy Maxi life & the Seat Alhambra.

However, I was lucky enough to have the money, and I am hoping, that either

a) It will be a long term investment for years to come
or b) The depreciation will be favourable enough, that if I sell it after 3 years & 45K miles, it won't have cost too much more than the other 2 options mentioned.

I was strongly considering something like a Volvo V50 Drive, as the appeal of 70+MPG was tempting.

I am well aware that I have bought a vehicle for the 20% of my life, not the 80% of my commuting/work life. But heh, life is short, lets face it most of us live for that 20%, not the other 80%!

+ a lot of people spend ÂŁ30K+ on a BMW, land rover, Audi's ...

That's pretty much how i thought.

I looked at it as a possible long term investment or, as you said, I'd have a good trade in value after three years.

I liked your reply, really could have not put it better myself :)

We also flirted with the idea of Caddy Maxi Life - they offer a lot and had seen a few camper conversions .

James

syrup1971 said:
I wanted a bigger car, we frequently go camping or places, and I couldn't fit things like the inflatable canoe etc. etc. in the current car. The Beach (in Bluemotion form) struck me as something I could just about justify in terms of taxation & fuel bills, whilst being a wholly practical vehicle for daily commute, shopping trips, trips to Ikea etc. etc.

I was considering (amongst others), the VW caddy Maxi life & the Seat Alhambra.

However, I was lucky enough to have the money, and I am hoping, that either

a) It will be a long term investment for years to come
or b) The depreciation will be favourable enough, that if I sell it after 3 years & 45K miles, it won't have cost too much more than the other 2 options mentioned.

I was strongly considering something like a Volvo V50 Drive, as the appeal of 70+MPG was tempting.

I am well aware that I have bought a vehicle for the 20% of my life, not the 80% of my commuting/work life. But heh, life is short, lets face it most of us live for that 20%, not the other 80%!

+ a lot of people spend ÂŁ30K+ on a BMW, land rover, Audi's ...

Interesting reading!

Ermmm - we also have a ÂŁ**k BMW... :oops: :oops: :lol:

I wasn't dissing any of those brands of car!

Just trying to point out, that whilst it is a lot to spend on a car (for me anyway), it isn't an absurdly abnormal amount compared with the cost of many a family car.

syrup1971 said:
I wasn't dissing any of those brands of car!

Just trying to point out, that whilst it is a lot to spend on a car (for me anyway), it isn't an absurdly abnormal amount compared with the cost of many a family car.

Don't worry, I completely agree with you! :thumb

I think/thought the beach is expensive when compared to the California.

However to put things into perspective, I have just ordered my wife a fully loaded Golf GTD DSG, with literally every option, and that was the thick end of ÂŁ27k (retail approx ÂŁ32k!!!!!), even with my terms! Makes the Beach look very good value indeed.

Cars just aren't cheap any more, entry level diesel golfs are ÂŁ20k!

Enjoy

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
I think/thought the beach is expensive when compared to the California.

However to put things into perspective, I have just ordered my wife a fully loaded Golf GTD DSG, with literally every option, and that was the thick end of ÂŁ27k (retail approx ÂŁ32k!!!!!), even with my terms! Makes the Beach look very good value indeed.

Cars just aren't cheap any more, entry level diesel golfs are ÂŁ20k!

Enjoy

24k for a top end Focus to be equipped like ones they show on adverts? Cars are not cheap, not if you want the goodies and VW give you a lot options!

There is nothing in the UK quite like the Beach - and it does have a certain something - and of course, you pay because it is a VW and a VW Camper.

James

Hope you like your Beach! We have one that is in build at the moment over in Germany. We are hoping to have it in late May and are very excited :clap . We ordered from Gary at VW Leicester and he was very professional. We have a family of 5, so we went for the three-seat bench at the back. The engine is the Bluemotion, as it ain't about the speed it's how you get there!

Please let us know how you get on with your Beach.

Excellent, we are gathering more & more beach owners :D

What spec have you ordered, how many of those oh so tempting extras boxes have you ticked ;)

That was one of the things that swayed me in favour of the show room model - not too many extras so kept me from raiding the piggy bank too much!

Hello! We've just ordered our Beach - whoo hoo!!! We're very excited, as it ticks all the boxes for us. We wouldn't cook in the van. We have trangia stoves so are perfectly happy to make a cuppa outside under the awning! We've also gone for 'blue motion' with 5 seats. We're a family of 3, but mainly take my mum and dad out too - so the 5 seats and space are perfect for us! Can't wait to get it!

Excellent,

Did you select any other optional extra's, or just the awning?

Chris

We've gone for one that's already built so took the extra's that it came with. So it has satnav, bluetooth add on kit (not the one with satnav), front and rear parking sensors - & yep as you've said the awning. We're just waiting for it to get to the dealers from VW and fingers crossed we should be up and running in a couple of weeks.

I wonder though if anybody might be able to help us? We're going to order the california front seat covers - but wondered if anybody had any recommendations for the 3 seat bench covers? We've bought the cali for the long haul so want to look after her to start with. However, the only ones I've seen specifically made for her are very, very expensive.

Also, just wondered what thoughts/feelings were on the mudflaps?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kim
:thanks

Agreed, I'd like some seat covers.

I think that their are the Brandrup ones, which look good, but especially for a 7 seater are very expensive.

I've read good things about the Inka ones. I emailed and asked about ones for the Beach, and they said not yet, but I think the following may fit:

3 seater Bench:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110862806797? ... 1884wt_905

Front seats (with wasted 2 bench rear, if you have 3 seater bench) & I am wondering if it would fit the 2 middle row seats two.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-California ... 910wt_8914

Has anyone bought a cover for a fifth seat in a California before?

Back