Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali discounts

I paid £1740 all-in for the job, at the end of last August.

I understand the cost of the film is by far the major contributor to cost - mine took one man one day, plus a bit of prep. at the end of the preceding day, plus on the morning I collected . . . so say 10-12 hrs at £40ph giving £400-480, and the rest is the film? I'm guessing here though, as I didn't ask for the bill to be broken down!

My chaps said that they only use Avery Dennison, or 3M films, as they are by far the best and most durable materials, proven over the longest time.

I didn't need to do much research into who to use, as this company was used by my ex-employer for all sorts of high-end and complex commercial work - the chap who wrapped our van had done a lot of prestige work for Volvo trucks, before then doing all of McLaren's F1 transporter cabs, trailers and motorhomes - and this was my link.

A few people have asked me for the contact, but the company did the work as something of a (paid!) favour for me as, effectively, a colleague, and they do not normally work for private individuals.

I am a fussy sod, and so was very pleased at the degree of care, skill and creativity with which my chap approached the job - I for example asked for the colour break line to be half way up the 45deg 'chamfer' just as the VW two-tone factory paint line is, but in the event he lowered it ca. 3mm to the first (i.e. lower) transition where the vertical panel departs inwards to become the upper panel. This was so that he didn't have to lay in a fiddly little fillet of colour over the upper edge of the California badge directly behind the headlights, which apparently are absolute murder to remove and usually break if they are taken off. In the event I liked the result much better, as the shadow cast on the Ascot Grey in the body chamfer looks for all the world like a subtle dark grey pin stripe running round the waistline of the vehicle.

Any more questions just ask, and I'm happy to take photos for anyone who should want them.

Hope that helps!

Try swansway Liverpool for brand new purchases - I had a fantastic deal from them on a new coast that noone else could beat....

I paid £1740 all-in for the job, at the end of last August.

I understand the cost of the film is by far the major contributor to cost - mine took one man one day, plus a bit of prep. at the end of the preceding day, plus on the morning I collected . . . so say 10-12 hrs at £40ph giving £400-480, and the rest is the film? I'm guessing here though, as I didn't ask for the bill to be broken down!

My chaps said that they only use Avery Dennison, or 3M films, as they are by far the best and most durable materials, proven over the longest time.

I didn't need to do much research into who to use, as this company was used by my ex-employer for all sorts of high-end and complex commercial work - the chap who wrapped our van had done a lot of prestige work for Volvo trucks, before then doing all of McLaren's F1 transporter cabs, trailers and motorhomes - and this was my link.

A few people have asked me for the contact, but the company did the work as something of a (paid!) favour for me as, effectively, a colleague, and they do not normally work for private individuals.

I am a fussy sod, and so was very pleased at the degree of care, skill and creativity with which my chap approached the job - I for example asked for the colour break line to be half way up the 45deg 'chamfer' just as the VW two-tone factory paint line is, but in the event he lowered it ca. 3mm to the first (i.e. lower) transition where the vertical panel departs inwards to become the upper panel. This was so that he didn't have to lay in a fiddly little fillet of colour over the upper edge of the California badge directly behind the headlights, which apparently are absolute murder to remove and usually break if they are taken off. In the event I liked the result much better, as the shadow cast on the Ascot Grey in the body chamfer looks for all the world like a subtle dark grey pin stripe running round the waistline of the vehicle.

Any more questions just ask, and I'm happy to take photos for anyone who should want them.

Hope that helps!
That sounds like a bargain to anyone who fancies going into technicolour!
I’m lucky I already have a two tone in green

Seeing as the cost of 2 tone paint finish is about £2900 , ordering the base colour you want and then a wrap would seem to be the most cost effective way forward., if you want a dual coloured vehicle.

Or the ONLY way, if you’re buying on impulse (not quite, we spent ca. two weeks wrestling with the proposition, meantime requesting that the salesman fend off others), and so have to accept what’s available, but still fancy a bit of subtle jazzing up ;-)

Also, I really didn’t want to put a brand new car into a paintshop - that just seemed (technically) ‘rude’, heavy-handed, and of course very much a one-way street!

Or the ONLY way, if you’re buying on impulse (not quite, we spent ca. two weeks wrestling with the proposition, meantime requesting that the salesman fend off others), and so have to accept what’s available, but still fancy a bit of subtle jazzing up ;-)

Also, I really didn’t want to put a brand new car into a paintshop - that just seemed (technically) ‘rude’, heavy-handed, and of course very much a one-way street!
I fancy having an Indium Grey Cali, with the top half with a silver wrap. I think this is a colour combination available in mainland Europe, but not in the UK. Another option might be a lighter Grey top. A top half wrap will help to protect the bonnet, which is always susceptible to stone damage, and should be cheaper, less work.
Any chance of a visual of these combinations

I fancy having an Indium Grey Cali, with the top half with a silver wrap. I think this is a colour combination available in mainland Europe, but not in the UK. Another option might be a lighter Grey top. A top half wrap will help to protect the bonnet, which is always susceptible to stone damage, and should be cheaper, less work.
Any chance of a visual of these combinations
Posts #22 & 23 might be helpful

The combinations shown in posts 22 & 23 all use Ascot Grey as the base colour, BTW.

A few mates suggested I ought to finish the job by wrapping the top half green, and getting myself a Great Dane . . .

If anyone - SusiBus included - would like a colour set demo-ed, then I'm sure my daughter, who is the Photoshop wizard, would oblige . . . however she's right now working all hours to earn money for a grand tour of Europe in the Caddy I've been converting for her, so a modest contribution to funds might be welcome - message me separately please with any serious requests, including specific identifiable colour codes / definitions, and I'll see what she says. Thanks.

66923136108__3B6B3C40-56B6-4C8E-A053-6759F3FCF3E6.JPG

Back