Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali owner from Cape Town

Sun Chaser

Sun Chaser

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi everyone.
We (my wife and I) have just bought our first California Beach, with the 3 seater bench. We had been looking for one second hand for a few years, but they are just not available in SA. We eventually found one for sale at VW in Malmesbury. It was a demo model, 2014 with 18000 km on the clock. We took it for a test drive in June this year and were both very impressed with the performance of the 2.0l Bitdi engine.
I must say, I had my concerns with going to a 2.0l 4cylinder engine, as I had bought a Jeep GC 3l V6 last year for towing our boat, and now going back to a 4cyl was a bit worrying. I have looked at the specs of 400Nm Torque and that should be ample to tow my boat with. I still haven't towed the boat yet, but Im sure it will do it with ease.
So we traded the Jeep for the Cali and were the proud new owners all in a week.
We both just love the California with all the thought that has gone into its design, making it a very comfortable camper and also compact as a daily runner.
I have been browsing around the forum and some of the other sites that sell parts and accessories, and I must say that you guys in Europe have it great with so much available for the Cali's, something we are seriously missing in SA.
Thank you all for making this a great forum, and enjoy many happy km's in your Cali's.
Cheers
Ian

Here is a pic of our new beauty.Cali open tent.jpg

Welcome ,
Coming soon : Cali's on the Farm in South Africa

Cotf-SA....:cool:

Welcome to the forum Ian, are there many Cali's on the road on SA?
Hi Martin
I dont think there are that many over here, I have only seen one other driving around in the area where I live.
You know how it goes, when you own a certain make of vehicle is when you start to notice others on the road.
I have only just got mine, so will certainly be keeping an eye open for any more around.
Most of my friends that i have shown it to, didn't even know they existed. So i think I have sparked a bit of interest amongst alot more guys and gals in SA. They all love it, its an awesome vehicle, I cant wait to be getting to do some nice offroad adventures.

Welcome.

I am guessing that is not Malmesbury in Wiltshire in the UK?
If so that was some first trip...

Alan

Y
Welcome.

I am guessing that is not Malmesbury in Wiltshire in the UK?
If so that was some first trip...

Alan
Hi Alan
You right there, it would be quite the trip. I wasn't aware there is a Malmesbury in the UK. It is a town about 35min drive North of Cape Town city. :)

Great choice. Nice van. The MY15 Cali Beach Standard Spec sheet for SA in Feb this year listed 'Twin sliding doors' as standard. How ever that has changed and there's no mention of them any more on the current SA Standard Spec list. Does yours have twin or single sliding doors? Apart from no being able to fix the table to a wall, and maybe an issue with EHU, twin sliders would be great on a California Beach.

Great choice. Nice van. The MY15 Cali Beach Standard Spec sheet for SA in Feb this year listed 'Twin sliding doors' as standard. How ever that has changed and there's no mention of them any more on the current SA Standard Spec list. Does yours have twin or single sliding doors? Apart from no being able to fix the table to a wall, and maybe an issue with EHU, twin sliders would be great on a California Beach.
Hi there
It has a single sliding door on the RH side, which is the drivers side, which is opposite all other single sliders on other vehicles. This actually suits us better, as we prefer to camp to the drivers side for various reasons.
The table fits onto the wall behind passenger, which is perfect.
What is the EHU?

EHU = Electric Hook Up

Electric Mains Hook Up to vehicle supplying mains electric sockets in vehicle and power to a built in leisure battery charger.

Ok
EHU = Electric Hook Up

Electric Mains Hook Up to vehicle supplying mains electric sockets in vehicle and power to a built in leisure battery charger.
ok, thanx, thought it had something to do with electrics. Its a great feature to have.

Sorry posted on wrong thread

This is exactly what I'm looking for, unfortunately I'm assuming a t4 Westfalia uses a different rail system apart from that there are none for sale anywhere.

Attachments

• 1990CaliforniaAdditionalSeatSalesBrochureGermanWM.pdf
    720.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Welcome!!! Let me send you my regard's from Portugal, that was born in RSA (Johannesburg).

Welcome!!! Let me send you my regard's from Portugal, that was born in RSA (Johannesburg).

sorry... ment to say:

"...Let me send you my regard's from Portugal, from a guy born in RSA (Johannesburg)

sorry... ment to say:

"...Let me send you my regard's from Portugal, from a guy born in RSA (Johannesburg)

Thanx, I assume you emigrated to Portugal, I hope you finding many cool places to camp over there, we have so much in abundance over here, and the Cali makes for such comfortable camping. cheers