Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali owner from Hereford

Hi from beautiful Herefordshire. I’m so lucky to live here and start my life on the road without having to travel very far (at first) to find ideal camping spots
Welcome Gillie, lots of great sites within around an hour from Hereford; Hay on Wye, Pencelli and Brecon club site are all excellent.

Congrats on getting your van and welcome to the forum! You are indeed fortunate, and you’ll hopefully give us all an insight into the best camping spots in your area.

How about posting a photo of your van - we all love pics of people’s new toys! ;)

Congrats. Enjoy your new van and the adventures that lie ahead.

We picked ours up last month. We waited ten years, hired many times and now finally have our very own.

First trip was in your area, through Hereford and out to Hay-on-Wye. Rained almost non-stop for three days but didn’t dampen our spirits one bit. Today closer to home in the Cotswolds. Much better weather. Loving it.

Congrats. Enjoy your new van and the adventures that lie ahead.

We picked ours up last month. We waited ten years, hired many times and now finally have our very own.

First trip was in your area, through Hereford and out to Hay-on-Wye. Rained almost non-stop for three days but didn’t dampen our spirits one bit. Today closer to home in the Cotswolds. Much better weather. Loving it.
Thank you - it’s a brave new world for me but can’t wait to get going

Thank you - it’s a brave new world for me but can’t wait to get going
I really need advice on essentials apart from a mattress and kettle etc. What first 10 items would you suggest?

I really need advice on essentials apart from a mattress and kettle etc. What first 10 items would you suggest?
Unfortunately the VWCC search function is broken.
So “Google search” “vwcaliforniaclub essential items” and take a few days reading.
Then make a list.
Then check prices.
Took me best part of a year to have the right kit for me. Everyone is different with different needs.
But it’s fun. And Expensive ;)

So “Google search” “vwcaliforniaclub essential items” and take a few days reading.
Then make a list.
Then check prices.
Took me best part of a year to have the right kit for me. Everyone is different with different needs.
Thank you

You can use Google for specific searches on the forum. Here’s a pertinent one for you …

These lists always get shot down in flames, but here you go !

Hook up cable, plus 240v plug adapter
Gas bottle 907
Levelling ramps and chock set
Lightweight tarp for the van side / edge of sun awning.
Tie down straps for sun awning
Porta Potti
Dish wash bucket
Outdoor cooker/ bbq etc
More comfortable lounging chairs….
Beer/ Wine/ Gin

Gas bottle
Hook up cable ( we have a 15 m )
Folding basin ( to carry dishes to washing area )
Kettle ( we have Outwell folding kettle )
Porta potti ( Thetford 335 , though lots of debate on this .. lol)
Travel pillows ( we have Thermarest )
Sleeping bags ( though all sorts suggested on this forum )
Camping cutlery and crockery.
Cafetière

The list is endless and you’ll discover that yourself

I would however mention that many of us have the Sparesafe on the spare wheel ( to deter the opportunist thief ) And personally we use a Safelock Pro on the steering wheel, more of a visual deterrent.

Happy adventures and it’ll fall into place exactly what you personally need.
Many of us have ‘stuff’ sitting in the garage and seldom used !

These lists always get shot down in flames, but here you go !

Hook up cable, plus 240v plug adapter
Gas bottle 907
Levelling ramps and chock set
Lightweight tarp for the van side / edge of sun awning.
Tie down straps for sun awning
Porta Potti
Dish wash bucket
Outdoor cooker/ bbq etc
More comfortable lounging chairs….
Beer/ Wine/ Gin
I so appreciate your list thanks

I
Gas bottle
Hook up cable ( we have a 15 m )
Folding basin ( to carry dishes to washing area )
Kettle ( we have Outwell folding kettle )
Porta potti ( Thetford 335 , though lots of debate on this .. lol)
Travel pillows ( we have Thermarest )
Sleeping bags ( though all sorts suggested on this forum )
Camping cutlery and crockery.
Cafetière

The list is endless and you’ll discover that yourself

I would however mention that many of us have the Sparesafe on the spare wheel ( to deter the opportunist thief ) And personally we use a Safelock Pro on the steering wheel, more of a visual deterrent.

Happy adventures and it’ll fall into place exactly what you personally need.
Many of us have ‘stuff’ sitting in the garage and seldom used !

Then make a list.
Then check prices.
You can use Google for specific searches on the forum. Here’s a pertinent one for you …

Forum Search up and running with the new hardware etc:

I am really confident that I have the definitive top 10 list of essentials!!! Tin hat at the ready…

1.Gas bottle
2. Folding electric kettle (if like us you always use campsites with EHU)
3. Folding gas kettle (for a cuppa on the way to the campsite)
4. Yeti cups that fit the dash cup holders (for a cuppa for the start of the journey)
5. 25m electric cable (with cable tidy complete with bag as I hate packing a soggy cable)
6. Ridge monkey (for a toastie with my cuppa)
7. Cadac safari chef
8. Folding washing bowl
9. Bedding
10. Cutlery

:thumb so that’s a combined 28 top ten items. Quite restrained really, I thought there’d be more! I don’t disagree with any. Looking round my van now, as I sit with a decadent G&T at 4pm, a couple of other must-have items we use on almost a daily basis:

- Small bin, ours is a flip top job from IKEA
- Windscreen and side window insulated black out panel (ours are Brandrup Isolite) - VW front blinds are no good if you sleep downstairs).
- Sticky silicone mats for the countertops - protects from scratches, heat, and nothing shifts when travelling, e.g. fruit bowl, kettle.
- Pegs and a hammer - if you only even use the Thule side awning.
- Tools. We have a little box with some essential tools in, including lump hammer, claw hammer, various pegs, spare guy ropes (for awning/wind break), peg puller, multi head screwdriver, awning tie down kit, mini clamps (useful for a million uses), thin rope and duct tape.
- A small brush. We originally bought a rechargeable Shark mini vacuum (about £100) and never bring it now. A £2 brush is just as good.
- Very small bamboo chopping board, and 2 small but v sharp kitchen knives. Perfect for my limes for G&T.
- Wine bottle / bottle opener tool !

IMG_7270.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow these tips are what I’ll need besides bedding etc. any tips for mattress Upstairs in California?