Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali owner roof question.

R

roadrunner 45

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello,

We have just picked up our first Cali , it is a 2011 California 4 motion and we are given it a bit of TLC before we head out on adventures.
I have heard a lot about roof problems but not sure if it is something I need to be aware of?
Whilst having a closer look , I have noticed small rust spot in the corner , should I be getting it checked out or am I worrying unnecessarily? It is such a big investment and I don't want anything to ruin the dream.
Could someone please have look at the photos and advice accordingly?
Thanks for help.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi there,

Take it along to your friendly VW Commercial dealer and get it register with VW.

It'll get sorted eventaully but at least it'll get you onto the list.

Rgds

Mark

yep, welcome to Corrosion Club! Get on the list with VW...wait patiently and meanwhile just enjoy:happy

Thanks for your answers.
So all I need to do is drive it into my local VW van centre and highlight the area and they will be happy to rectify the problem?
Is there anything I need to say or do? Is this something that VW are happy to deal with and what is involved?
What concerns me is that we brought it from VW dealer , miles away as the local dealer didn't have any used Californias at the time. Ideally I would have expected them to pick up on it?
Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't be too surprised the dealer that sold you it didn't either inform or fix the problem as there is a long wait for a fix. Up to six years old VW will pick up and repair the faults (both front roof panel and elevating roof) but you do need to get the fault registered. Nearest VW commercial dealer is fine - no need to go back to selling dealer because they won't do the work themselves anyway.
Welcome to the club! Its a nuisance and disappointing but do the necessary, put it out of mind till called up for repair and in the meantime just enjoy.

PS
When it goes into be logged with VW get the dealer to pull off all the rubber seal round the elevating roof - almost certain there will be corrosion bubbles under there and you will want both front and elevating rooves fixed at the same time.

Most Vw dealers have their heads up their own a holes and are in complete denial about this problem.
Nothing in their minds can possibly go wrong with a Vw.
Get yourself in the queue.

Just make sure the dealer doesn't "fob you off"...

It's a known issue and the local dealer may not be fully aware of the process if they've not had much dealing with California.

They need to take pictures and get it logged with VWCS.

It cannot be fixed locally and ultimately needs to go away to one of the (currently) 4 approved centres.

Be aware that it's likely to take a couple of years before it's sorted, but relax... It will be and most importantly, don't let it spoil the enjoyment of your fantastic new lifestyle. :)

It is cosmetic after all and will be ultimately sorted.

Get out there, get campering and just enjoy. :)

Rgds

Mark

T^hanks for posting the pics - hear a lot about this but have never actually seen what it might be like - will be out there with a torch shortly....

al

Just make sure the dealer doesn't "fob you off"...

It's a known issue and the local dealer may not be fully aware of the process if they've not had much dealing with California.

They need to take pictures and get it logged with VWCS.

It cannot be fixed locally and ultimately needs to go away to one of the (currently) 4 approved centres.

Be aware that it's likely to take a couple of years before it's sorted, but relax... It will be and most importantly, don't let it spoil the enjoyment of your fantastic new lifestyle. :)

It is cosmetic after all and will be ultimately sorted.

Get out there, get campering and just enjoy. :)

Rgds

Mark

Thanks for the advice.

What is my best approach to make sure I don't get "fobbed off".
Should I book an appointment to get it looked at or just turn up at the dealer and speak to someone in the van area. How have other people dealt with this?

Personally, I'd book an appointment and let them know what you're coming in for.

They'll probably need their "warranty" guy on hand (Our local dealer doesn't have one and uses on that moves between a number of dealers). With mine they also took paint thickness readings.

Need to make sure they're ready to take photos to send to VWCS, I also took a memory stick with the photos on it just in case.

It's well known and shouldn't really be an issue to get it registered/logged.

There are a few on here (and elsewhere) that have had a quick respray to the bubbled panel, arranged through their local dealer. This doesn't fix the issue but only covers it for a short while. Don't agree to this. (It shouldn't actually happen these days given the profile of the issue, but you never know)

All the best,

M

As you are in Wimborne, I would go straight to Breeze in Tower Park, Poole. The Warranty Manager there is great and knows all about this problem. Breeze sell lots of Calis so know them well.
Your van is still within the 6 year paint warranty so should not be a problem.

Good Luck

Alan

Hello,

We have just picked up our first Cali , it is a 2011 California 4 motion and we are given it a bit of TLC before we head out on adventures.
I have heard a lot about roof problems but not sure if it is something I need to be aware of?
Whilst having a closer look , I have noticed small rust spot in the corner , should I be getting it checked out or am I worrying unnecessarily? It is such a big investment and I don't want anything to ruin the dream.
Could someone please have look at the photos and advice accordingly?
Thanks for help.

View attachment 7718

View attachment 7719

Hi again,

I could be wrong here but I looked again at your photos and wonder if you actually do have rust in the corner of your windscreen recess rather than the far more usual corrosion in the alloy roof? I don't see any bubbling in the roof parts though it normally starts as tiny bubbles and is sometimes tricky to photograph.
Is the windscreen original? You can normally spot one that has been changed by the fact it is not stamped as VW so something like Pilkington instead - not impossible to get an OEM one retrofitted tho.. Just possible they nicked the steel bodywork.
Take a closer look or let a reliable dealer examine it closely as they need to look under your main roof rubber seal anyway.
Hope that helps.

Back