Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New California: pop top roof material hangs down when I shut the roof. When I press the button to put the roof down, the material hangs down

It’s normal like the others say. You’ll get use to it. I pull the main bit down at 90% closed and fold the sides in as neat as possible. When pulling the shutter closed pull the bellows towards the back of the van as you slide it closed, you’ll get use to it

4d
Sorry also a bungee is a must!

I disagree - see earlier post. Just make sure a window/door is open.
I would clarify it slightly as there are different canvases with different stiffening ribs in different places.

T5.1 and earlier - maybee use a bungee
T6 shouldn't need a bungee
T6.1 pre MY23 bungee not needed
T6.1 post MY23 no room left in the roof space for a bungee.

I would clarify it slightly as there are different canvases with different stiffening ribs in different places.

T5.1 and earlier - maybee use a bungee
T6 shouldn't need a bungee
T6.1 pre MY23 bungee not needed
T6.1 post MY23 no room left in the roof space for a bungee.
We had a T5 Cali for seven years and a T6 for the last four, and have never had any issue of getting the canvas caught in the bellows, as we always open a window or door.
This thing of opening a door or window before opening/closing the roof doesn't seem to get mentioned often, but it's absolutely critical.
Maybe we should start a new thread: things newbies need to know.

That’s a bit worrying! Anyone else had same problem? I may try slackening mine off a little
There are other threads about bungee cords and canvas pulling away, so the answer is yes. I’m not saying fitting a bungee will lead to issues with the canvas, but it may be a factor. Also, if you see older vans with the bungee on, you get a distinct line round the pop top due to sun bleaching and wear.

On the newer Calis (T6 onwards) there is no reason to fit a bungee as the canvas folds in nicely - provided you open the side door. You do see bungees on rented vans to partly protect against misuse. The only time we are very careful when lowering is when there’s a strong cross wind.

That’s a bit worrying! Anyone else had same problem? I may try slackening mine off a little
The pressure from a Bellows Bungee will be a lot, lot less than that exerted by a mild breeze when the roof is up. There have been a number of cases of the bellows becoming detached in one corner, frequently without a bungee and ultimately the canvas was replaced. This is due to substandard fitting or a bellows fault.

The early models with electric roof are a little more tricky than the later ones. The front roof panel has a strengthened vertical strip in the middle, and - when coming down - it can sometimes bend outwards instead of inwards. This means it gets trapped when the roof is right down, and can spilt the fabric. That happened to me! I've learned to pull that strip in from in the hatch inside (maybe stand n the front seats) until the roof is happily down, without trapping anything. My roof now has gained - through trapping - 4 rips after 15 years! All easily mended though - just affects the sale value.

Back