Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New California. Should I take up a great deal on the T6.1 Should I wait for the T7?

V

Vodder

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We’re in the market for a new California after 26 years of towing a caravan.
There’s some great deals right now on remaining stock of T6.1 but T7 is out soon with the LWB and twin side doors.
Opinions welcome.

We’re in the market for a new California after 26 years of towing a caravan.
There’s some great deals right now on remaining stock of T6.1 but T7 is out soon with the LWB and twin side doors.
Opinions welcome.
Opinion depends on what you need it for?
What will your use of a T6.1 be? or the T7?
camping for a week, once a year. The odd couple of days away.
Or
2 week camping trips around europe? Every month.

Also think about how many miles a year will you drive it?
Will it be for business, (Like in my case, so need comfy seat and car like driving)
Or only used when going camping?
Do you have a 2nd car? that will be used to do the usual shopping, days out.
To help us help you, need the details.

Thank you.
We would be looking at several holidays a year including touring in Europe.
Not just camping but some running about.
8,000 a year would cover it.
Yes there are other vehicles available for us to use.
My question was really about the differences between the two and the anticipated extra cost.
The T6.1 has reached its peak after evolving over a long time. Is it time for a LWB car type replacement or are VW spoiling their best camper?

In my opinion the T6.1 and "T7" as shown uptill now (based on what I have seen and read so far) are hardly comparable, different views of VW on the basis of a campervan. So it will be upto you, for instance do you want a fairly complete kitchen (T6.1) or is a one stove kitchenette enough? Sleeping upstairs or down, or both? etc. etc. I admit I did not see the "T7" in reality yet, but from what I have seen it would not meet our demands.

Thank you. We may hire a T6.1 for a short break and see how it is for us.

In my opinion the T6.1 and "T7" as shown uptill now (based on what I have seen and read so far) are hardly comparable, different views of VW on the basis of a campervan. So it will be upto you, for instance do you want a fairly complete kitchen (T6.1) or is a one stove kitchenette enough? Sleeping upstairs or down, or both? etc. etc. I admit I did not see the "T7" in reality yet, but from what I have seen it would not meet our demands.
Judging by the number of posts regarding NOT cooking inside because of the smells, requests for campsite recommendations with pubs/restaurants within walking distance and multiple posts relating to barbecues etc: 1 gas ring and 1 pot cooking suits a large numbers of owners, and it sleeps 4 still.

Thank you. Apparently the one burner thing was in response to customer feedback along with larger onboard water tank. Access from the left is useful too.

Thank you. Apparently the one burner thing was in response to customer feedback along with larger onboard water tank. Access from the left is useful too.
Fresh water tank is now 28l ip 5l they say.
But thought it was 25l anyway ?
Can take off awning with two locks, and with two people, reposition on the other side.
In case you want to park into pitch or reverse into pitch for view.

Thank you. We may hire a T6.1 for a short break and see how it is for us.
I suspect that you have stumbled upon the answer to your own question. Which van to buy is I think a personal question, so go try before you buy and let us know what you find :thumb

Very true, and now I’m looking at Beach Camper rather than Ocean, as the wardrobe is good, but not that good.
Can you get away with a fridge between the seats and a vango roar. ?
Who uses the sink anyway ?

Can take off awning with two locks, and with two people, reposition on the other side.

Removable awning sounds like a pain with regards to security.

The new T7 seems to have lost a lot of storage space, firstly because of the 2 sliding doors and also the bench seat draw has gone. As someone who had a beach style conversion before getting an ocean, camping is a lot easier if things have there set place in cupboards rather than being moved around in boxes etc.

I think there will be loads of good deals on T6.1s for quite a while. Why not wait until Breeze or another dealer have a T7 to check out? There might be compromises with the T7 that do not bother you. There might be advantages that make it a no brainer. I would wait. We bought our van to keep ten years. If we were looking to buy now then we would wait and see.

The new T7 seems to have lost a lot of storage space, firstly because of the 2 sliding doors and also the bench seat draw has gone. As someone who had a beach style conversion before getting an ocean, camping is a lot easier if things have there set place in cupboards rather than being moved around in boxes etc.
Don't forget you get a window storage bag .

Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 11.34.11.png

This image says it all for me. The T7 Beach Camper would be unusable. In the T6.1 and previous iterations you have space to put the bed out, stand up, change, sit in the other seats and chat etc. lots of usable floor space even with the bed deplyed. Now, it is like a caddy camper, like and afterthought bit of design. Nowhere to stand, so you have to change before making the bed, nowhere to put your bags, toilet, fridge.... and what the hell is that middle chair doing there? All from a vehicle that is 25cm longer. For comparison current 2 and 3 seater beach:
Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 11.44.40.png
beach-hostel-deluxe-bed-1.jpg

Last edited:
Fresh water tank is now 28l ip 5l they say.
But thought it was 25l anyway ?
The t6 water tank is 30L. So customer feedback said they wanted less burners and a smaller tank did they? I cook in mine all the time and often use both burners. Boil the kettle at the same time as frying bacon.
Also the water tank filler is inside the van, I fill mine til it overflows. What happens on the new one? It overflows into the van that's what.
In my opinion I'd go 6.1

View attachment 126127

This image says it all for me. The T7 Beach Camper would be unusable. In the T6.1 and previous iterations you have space to put the bed out, stand up, change, sit in the other seats and chat etc. lots of usable floor space even with the bed deplyed. Now, it is like a caddy camper, like and afterthought bit of design. Nowhere to stand, so you have to change before making the bed, nowhere to put your bags, toilet, fridge.... and what the hell is that middle chair doing there? All from a vehicle that is 25cm longer. For comparison current 2 and 3 seater beach:
View attachment 126128
View attachment 126129
Would have helped if the numpties that did the video had perused the Handbook when setting up the bed.

Would have helped if the numpties that did the video had perused the Handbook when setting up the bed.
Nope, that's how it is supposed to be, handbook and all. to set up the bed you turn the middle seat round and put it in its up position. (because i guess the middle seat when down has an arm rest / middle table function, so it's higher when folded) I've seen it in four videos, including a VW made one. The numpties are the vw design team in this case. Staggering. You want to get dressed in the morning? you have to stand up on the bed.

Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 13.09.58.png

Try before buy is always a sure option - its a lot of cash to part with if not right for the job.
There is no 'one size fits all' with a California - it has to do the job for you.
Regarding buying - Breeze have some 'proper' deals on their website - they seem to have got in first with reality. Unlike the extortionate prices of other dealers and private sellers.

Just looked at the Breeze Web site and most California Oceans start at £60k up to £65k and the most expensive is £75k
Can't see any special deals

Judging by the number of posts regarding NOT cooking inside because of the smells, requests for campsite recommendations with pubs/restaurants within walking distance and multiple posts relating to barbecues etc: 1 gas ring and 1 pot cooking suits a large numbers of owners, and it sleeps 4 still.
Don’t think we have used more than 1 burner at the same time so far.

View attachment 126127

View attachment 126128
View attachment 126129
The Beach Camper has gone from the best variant of a great model to the worst variant of a not so great model…. :)

Don’t think we have used more than 1 burner at the same time so far.
that doesn't mean 2 aren't needed ,1 is no good for me. i think the concept had 1 gas and 1 induction hob,but the induction hob has gone

Back