Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New California. Should I take up a great deal on the T6.1 Should I wait for the T7?

I think it’s the logic of there’s no budget to create anything too bespoke, we’ll just shoehorn a camper as best we can into the new Multivan shell so we can satisfy that part of the market and try to sell all the compromises we had to make as benefits.
Didn’t they shoehorn a campervan into a panel van in the first place?

Didn’t they shoehorn a campervan into a panel van in the first place?
Sort of yes they did but with fewer compromises as they did spend the extra money modifying the shell for external water filler, for example. Different sliding door options available on T6.1 so 2 burners possible etc. Perhaps you’re missing the point I’m making? It’s the result of the compromises that have had to be made that has changed the market to which the vehicle appeals. I haven’t said there is anything wrong with the T7, just that it now appeals to a different market as a result of the many compromises that have had to be made and I don’t think that was the intention. The beds don’t have enough room for 2 adults! It’s a squeeze on a T6.1 so must be virtually impossible for 2 adults to sleep in the same bed on the Multivan platform. Combine that with even less storage (yet an even longer vehicle) and it won’t suit a family of 4 anymore.

Last edited:
Speak for yourself, I’m 39!
By dinosaurs, I was referring more to the vehicle we are fans of - fossil fuel burning, ancient platform.

The age of the driver may or may not correlate. I haven’t run my regression analysis yet!

Thank you. We may hire a T6.1 for a short break and see how it is for us.
It's difficult. We went through the thought process last summer. A Cali or a conversion.
We decided to rent and try. First rental was a good conversion then we rented a Cali Ocean from California Campers in Telford. The difference was unbelievable. The factory built California was better in so many ways and not a huge price difference in the end. We ordered through Drive the Deal last October and collected our brand new Cali in March with the 5 star deal. We are delighted . Lots of talk and features about the T7, but we decided not to wait. I worked in the car manufacturing business for 35 years and I am well aware of issues with new model launches.
The 6.1 is tried and tested. Its a 5 year project for us and then we will look at the T7, maybe T8 by then.

Sort of yes they did but with fewer compromises as they did spend the extra money modifying the shell for external water filler, for example. Different sliding door options available on T6.1 so 2 burners possible etc. Perhaps you’re missing the point I’m making? It’s the result of the compromises that have had to be made that has changed the market to which the vehicle appeals. I haven’t said there is anything wrong with the T7, just that it now appeals to a different market as a result of the many compromises that have had to be made and I don’t think that was the intention. The beds don’t have enough room for 2 adults! It’s a squeeze on a T6.1 so must be virtually impossible for 2 adults to sleep in the same bed on the Multivan platform. Combine that with even less storage (yet an even longer vehicle) and it won’t suit a family of 4 anymore.
Maybe they make more profit selling base vehicles to Conversion companies and have concentrated on a particular market with the in-house produced California, offering a premium product for a particular demographic.

Maybe they make more profit selling base vehicles to Conversion companies and have concentrated on a particular market with the in-house produced California, offering a premium product for a particular demographic.
Possibly. It doesn’t make a great deal of business sense to narrow your demographic, but it does make business sense to make only one type of shell for the body of the Multivan.

By dinosaurs, I was referring more to the vehicle we are fans of - fossil fuel burning, ancient platform.

The age of the driver may or may not correlate. I haven’t run my regression analysis yet!
Ha ok, I understand now.

Possibly. It doesn’t make a great deal of business sense to narrow your demographic, but it does make business sense to make only one type of shell for the body of the Multivan.
Seeing as the new VW/Ford van is built in Turkey and not Hanover probably financially more rewarding to transport commercial base vehicles direct to country of sale, rather than to a separate “ California “ factory in Turkey ( they would have to build one ) or to the present Hanover factory and then onwards to country of sale.

Seeing as the new VW/Ford van is built in Turkey and not Hanover probably financially more rewarding to transport commercial base vehicles direct to country of sale, rather than to a separate “ California “ factory in Turkey ( they would have to build one ) or to the present Hanover factory and then onwards to country of sale.
Yes exactly. Times have changed quite significantly in the vehicle manufacturing world.

Always buy the last of an old model. Never the first of a new one.
Vehicle manufacturers use their customer's to carry on there product RnD work. The T6.1 is the last of the line and most of the niggles should have been resolved by now. Choose the T7 and you should expect a whole new catalogue of hassle.

Always buy the last of an old model. Never the first of a new one.
Vehicle manufacturers use their customer's to carry on there product RnD work. The T6.1 is the last of the line and most of the niggles should have been resolved by now. Choose the T7 and you should expect a whole new catalogue of hassle.
T6.1 didn’t have niggles ?
I’d say there were plenty.
Bellows gate, roof droop, heater controls, door latch not working in -4 degree winter (not that cold)
DSG not knowing if it’s drive or park.
Bluetooth apple play not fit for propose. Have to use usb cable to be reliable.
Lose cards down the front of windscreen between dash.
I’m thinking there’s more hassle too.
Multivan has been out for 3 years, so not brand new and is based on more like the golf platform ?

T6.1 didn’t have niggles ?
I’d say there were plenty.
Bellows gate, roof droop, heater controls, door latch not working in -4 degree winter (not that cold)
DSG not knowing if it’s drive or park.
Bluetooth apple play not fit for propose. Have to use usb cable to be reliable.
Lose cards down the front of windscreen between dash.
I’m thinking there’s more hassle too.
Multivan has been out for 3 years, so not brand new and is based on more like the golf platform ?
I think you are missing my point.

I didn't say that the T6.1 was perfect, far from it. IMO, the T6 was/is, in many ways, a better vehicle.

My point was simply that, if you buy the first of a new design you can expect trouble.

I didn't say that the T6.1 was perfect, far from it. IMO, the T6 was/is, in many ways, a better vehicle.

My point was simply that, if you buy the first of a new design you can expect trouble.
I dont disagree with you about buying the first version of something.
I usually do the same, but I see the only real change is the electric parking brake, and dashboard gear selector. Which has been done before.
So I cant see what functions would have an issue.
I'm not naive to think the first production model California based upon the T7 wouldnt have issues, But at least I'd have a go in my own personal circumstances.
As I'm a single user for 95% of the time.
So in otherwords, I'd enjoy the helping of ironing out the bugs.
I have another car I can use, whilst they iron out the bugs.
I'd enjoy the feeling of driving a more comfortable car like experiance
I'd have the "day van" ability of rustling up a bacon sarnie, mid route to South or west coast of UK from Midlands. Use an EF2 for coffee. fridge for cold pop, milk, food.
Cupboards for my OCD dashcams, routers, starlink gizmo's and for when I need to do some work.
Ability to maybe camp for a week, once a year.
(Yes I could rent one, but who wants to rent, when work give me money every month for a vehicle)

Just an FYI, would love a Sven Hedin, as the loo and shower would be great, but its still too big to park up at customer sites. Also the new James cook, based on a sprinter and a 4x4 next year 2025, would be even better, but again, I need a vehicle for work.
And I really really dislike the T6.1 seat. crippled me.
Fingers crossed the T7 seat is a revelation.
And looking forward to the two 40Ah LiPo batterys, which I hope are in a good position to be swapped out for larger Ah!
At least I'll provide feedback to the forum for other peoples delights or relish in the fact its a lemon ha! (Still wish for a loo and shower inside, Joker no good, as the seat issue would still be there, and tried a T6 height adjustable and its still too low.)

Seeing as the Multivan has been out for 3 yrs and the new California is available and now being ordered/made for the German Market by the time it is OTR in the UK it is going to be at least 6 months into its model life. Whereas the T5.1/6/6.1 were available in all markets virtually simultaneously.

I have toured europe in a beach most years for the past 7 years getting as far as Gibraltar and Austria. Two burners (we have a slidepod with which we cook at the back) isn't enough especially if you are not staying on proper sites. We use a Cadac for BBQ/Griddle/Casseroles, 1 burner for vegetables and 1 for kettle for washing up/Tea. Induction hobs need mains electric which isn't always available when using french/spanish/portugese aires.
From what I have seen of the T7 it is longer to compensate for less width and two sliding doors is ok for the use as a passenger car but would be problematic when in camper mode. Is the T7 a VW or a transit? The VW Caddy is the Transit Connect, the Multivan is a Transit isn't it?
The T6 beach has a kingsize bed downstairs 140cm wide and a double upstairs 120cm wide. For comfort the T6.1 wins

I have toured europe in a beach most years for the past 7 years getting as far as Gibraltar and Austria. Two burners (we have a slidepod with which we cook at the back) isn't enough especially if you are not staying on proper sites. We use a Cadac for BBQ/Griddle/Casseroles, 1 burner for vegetables and 1 for kettle for washing up/Tea. Induction hobs need mains electric which isn't always available when using french/spanish/portugese aires.
From what I have seen of the T7 it is longer to compensate for less width and two sliding doors is ok for the use as a passenger car but would be problematic when in camper mode. Is the T7 a VW or a transit? The VW Caddy is the Transit Connect, the Multivan is a Transit isn't it?
The T6 beach has a kingsize bed downstairs 140cm wide and a double upstairs 120cm wide. For comfort the T6.1 wins
No, the Multivan is a completely different vehicle and has no relationship to the Ford/VW commercial vehicle.

No, the Multivan is a completely different vehicle and has no relationship to the Ford/VW commercial vehicle.
Apparently it is the VW Caddy/Transit Connect underneath

Transit is, Transit connect isn't

T7 Transporter will be built in Turkey at Otosan, a Ford venture.
The T7 Cali will be built into the VW Multivan, a VW product.

So the T7 Transporter is bigger than the T6 Transporter.
The T7 California is smaller than the T6 California. (not so tall, not so wide, can't tow so much so not as capable).
Its all very confusing........I think I'll get a Ducato based something next

It's clear now after earlier VW promo cockups that the new California is not the T7 and shouldn't be labelled as such, to avoid confusion it's a Multivan California. The Cali is now on a different platform to the past.
There is no T7 California, T7 is the new Transporter van (joint venture with Ford).

Back