Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New California. Should I take up a great deal on the T6.1 Should I wait for the T7?

that doesn't mean 2 aren't needed ,1 is no good for me. i think the concept had 1 gas and 1 induction hob,but the induction hob has gone

You need 2. Partitioned ridgemonkey on one with bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, black pudding (cook the eggs at the end) + kettle on the other.

If you are eating cereal you are not doing the camping thing properly!

Don’t think we have used more than 1 burner at the same time so far.
Chilli con carne with rice this evening, both hobs plus kettle. As someone just said, there is no such thing as a ‘one size fits all’ Cali. I would add that there isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ Cali user either. :thumb

We need two gas rings. We need as much storage as possible. We don't need two sliding doors, especially if they are electric! It's a T6.1 for our needs everyday.
Option for Full electric sliding doors.

I think what’s confusing is the “T7” is going to appeal to a different sort of buyer than the T6.1. Normally you’d expect the replacement to appeal to the same market - definitely not the case here. Loads of the features that make the T6.1 great are gone sadly. 2 burners a must for us. Porridge and kettle at the same time is essential. Loads of the storage gone too - not good for us. I can see the T7 appealing to couples, but not 2 adults with 2 children. T7 won’t fit in a standard parking bay either like the T6.1 does. Apparently the T7 is better to drive though. So it’s great for travelling but not for camping. I have a car for driving places. The camper is just for holiday travels and the odd secondary use vehicle. It’s pretty obvious the T7 has been designed around the compromises that VW can’t change without excessive cost. The 2 sliding door body for example prevents 2 hob burners, but it’s being sold as a benefit. The LWB is a necessity because it’s the only way to get even close to the T6.1 storage due to the crazy shaped front end, but now it won’t fit in a parking bay. Another compromise because it’s an unsuitable base vehicle. The water tank filler in the boot to save cost modifying the shell and make installation easier and therefore cheaper. Another compromise. If they were designing from the ground up to be purely a camper then the Multivan shell would have been deemed unsuitable I think, which is why it now suits different markets. I doubt that was their intention.

What is the roof made of ?

What is the roof made of ?

Alu - same as T5/T6

(…but looks more like GRP/Fibreglass towards the rear, possibly due to curved roofline. Rear spoiler spoils the look)

No, that's why I hope it is an Option and not Standard.
On the German configurator it's linked to the two tone metallic colours but not the solid ones. I would probably choose the indium grey and shed a tear for the ascot grey on my T6.1.

Roll on T8, VW will see sense when the 7 does a Buzz.
The T8 will probably be a collaboration between Ford, VW and Nissan or Fiat.

If it works then don't fix it!
The T5.1 has worked amazingly well for us, our needs, our travels. The interior design and layout provides secure comfortable camping in all weathers. After nearly ten years of great service we have no plans or need for change, upgrade or improved street cred. The vehicle is still much admired by complete strangers who ask questions and show interest.
I have only viewed the T7 on YouTube, not in the flesh. We must have two burners, the underseat storage drawers, simple downstairs bed organisation with room to dress & Porta Potty, and the deal breaker is the internal sliding table. The T7 seems to require going outside, tailgate up, retract table, assemble and bring in - just doesn't work with our pattern of use.
I thought the T7 interior styling and 'car' based drive were attractive. However, we both love the T5 DSG drive and great visibility.
If I were currently looking at new then Wildax or Wheelhouse would be on the shortlist. There are so many great converters who have stood the test of time and insurance companies accept.
We spent 10 years dithering about taking the plunge. My only regret is we didn't buy a Cali sooner.

I think what’s confusing is the “T7” is going to appeal to a different sort of buyer than the T6.1. Normally you’d expect the replacement to appeal to the same market - definitely not the case here. Loads of the features that make the T6.1 great are gone sadly. 2 burners a must for us. Porridge and kettle at the same time is essential. Loads of the storage gone too - not good for us. I can see the T7 appealing to couples, but not 2 adults with 2 children. T7 won’t fit in a standard parking bay either like the T6.1 does. Apparently the T7 is better to drive though. So it’s great for travelling but not for camping. I have a car for driving places. The camper is just for holiday travels and the odd secondary use vehicle. It’s pretty obvious the T7 has been designed around the compromises that VW can’t change without excessive cost. The 2 sliding door body for example prevents 2 hob burners, but it’s being sold as a benefit. The LWB is a necessity because it’s the only way to get even close to the T6.1 storage due to the crazy shaped front end, but now it won’t fit in a parking bay. Another compromise because it’s an unsuitable base vehicle. The water tank filler in the boot to save cost modifying the shell and make installation easier and therefore cheaper. Another compromise. If they were designing from the ground up to be purely a camper then the Multivan shell would have been deemed unsuitable I think, which is why it now suits different markets. I doubt that was their intention.
I wonder if the logic goes along the lines of appealing to a younger audience?

Ultimately that was my first lesson in business. Your existing customer base are great, but you want the 20/30 somethings to be your next lifelong customer.

Perhaps that segment have kids later (or no kids), take short breaks, not 2 week tours etc. Or mix & match with hotels/Air BnB on tour.

Also the perception of environmental friendliness will be more of a driver for them.

Plus they are tech savvy / they will all get a power bank for a one burner induction and electric kettle.

We are dinosaurs.

I wonder if the logic goes along the lines of appealing to a younger audience?

Ultimately that was my first lesson in business. Your existing customer base are great, but you want the 20/30 somethings to be your next lifelong customer.

Perhaps that segment have kids later (or no kids), take short breaks, not 2 week tours etc. Or mix & match with hotels/Air BnB on tour.

Also the perception of environmental friendliness will be more of a driver for them.

Plus they are tech savvy / they will all get a power bank for a one burner induction and electric kettle.

We are dinosaurs.
I think it’s the logic of there’s no budget to create anything too bespoke, we’ll just shoehorn a camper as best we can into the new Multivan shell so we can satisfy that part of the market and try to sell all the compromises we had to make as benefits.

Back