Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

NEW California Surf

Forget this. Its awful
I’ve read that many times! I had the Comfort Mattress in My Beach and it was OK for the amount of time I slept on it!

It’s strange as we didn’t camp that often in our various Beaches but after having a Kombi for nearly 6 months, I’ve started to really miss a California lately!

The idea that the surf is designed on the (un)availability of fog lights and reversing camera is madness. A Cali must have 10,000+ components, so do you really think he they have run out of 2 but have the other 9,998+ and have designed a special edition to suit? :).
What's next, a 'Roller skate' run out edition with no brake pads?

Interestingly, the configurator for a Beach suggests a shortage of rear view cameras and Sat navs…

The idea that the surf is designed on the (un)availability of fog lights and reversing camera is madness. A Cali must have 10,000+ components, so do you really think he they have run out of 2 but have the other 9,998+ and have designed a special edition to suit? :).
What's next, a 'Roller skate' run out edition with no brake pads?
I worked at a car plant for 27 years, we had “parts bin” run out models regularly. It’s a “thing” in the industry, based not on the 10,000+ components that are easy to get, but the dozen or so that are hard to get and expensive add ons.

We actually had two full on models that were parts bin from the start - the Nissan Sunny and the Nissan Pulsar. Hideous things that were and looked like someone had thrown up a load of cheap parts inside them.

This is a run out parts bin model through and through, dreamt up by the product marketing and sales departments all the time in co-ordination with factory parts production planners.

The Surf is 100% the brainchild of that mess - designed completely on the (un)availability of fog lights, reversing cameras and many other hard to get expensive parts.

It's also why they are UK only and will all arrive in the summer.

Last edited:
I may have been interested in ordering the Surf, but without a Rear View Camera, it’s very unlikely.

I’d much rather ditch the Parking Sensors than a Camera.

6F3B5419-C0EE-4967-B680-BEE5633991BE.jpeg

I worked at a car plant for 27 years, we had “parts bin” run out models regularly. It’s a “thing” in the industry, based not on the 10,000+ components that are easy to get, but the dozen or so that are hard to get and expensive add ons.

We actually had two full on models that were parts bin from the start - the Nissan Sunny and the Nissan Pulsar. Hideous things that were and looked like someone had thrown up a load of cheap parts inside them.

This is a run out parts bin model through and through, dreamt up by the product marketing and sales departments all the time in co-ordination with factory parts production planners.

The Surf is 100% the brainchild of that mess - designed completely on the (un)availability of fog lights, reversing cameras and many other hard to get expensive parts.

It's also why they are UK only and will all arrive in the summer.
Just wondering why there is no mention of Surf versions in any other country than UK. Feels more like just a UK Sales marketing thing…

Back