Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California T6.1 Stops production 1st June!

Correct. The multivan Cali concept will be the new California. VW ford connection will just be commercial product
VW has missed the boat on this one by switching to a product that is bigger on the outside and smaller on the inside, while basing it on a vehicle that VW announced in press releases in Germany will be a stopgap with a short commercial life while VW converts to 100% electric production. Aftermarket converters will be busy.

VW has missed the boat on this one by switching to a product that is bigger on the outside and smaller on the inside, while basing it on a vehicle that VW announced in press releases in Germany will be a stopgap with a short commercial life while VW converts to 100% electric production. Aftermarket converters will be busy.

Probably what Volkswagen wants. I bet the profit margins are slim on a California compared to a standard panel van.
The California probably creates more hassle than what it’s worth, as they try to streamline production lines…

Probably what Volkswagen wants. I bet the profit margins are slim on a California compared to a standard panel van.
The California probably creates more hassle than what it’s worth, as they try to streamline production lines…

Would agree, especially if vans keep getting returned to have roof canvas swapped over.

Everyone has their own idea, but I strongly suspect that Volkswagen makes the most profit on the sale of the California. Our dealer told me this and I tend to assume this. The California has been up to the T6 since the early 2000s and with only minimal changes. Then a completely new electronic system (most likely as a test for the later California) in the T6.1, which is still the same van from back then. Minimal development costs for more than 20 years and a sales success. Profit margins are huge, I would assume. The California is such an important product for them that they have already expanded the range and certainly did not rush into the successor to the California; the new one on a multivan basis will not be to everyone's taste, but in all probability it will also be sold like hot cakes again and for a long time. The converters will extensively convert the new Ford Transporter and there will be customers for that, but Volkswagen will continue with the Multivan California and not a transporter cali. Not my first choice if I had to replace ours, but fortunately I don't want this and plan to drive and travel with it daily for a long time to come.
Everyone has their own idea and no one is wrong or right because time will tell.

Last edited:
Everyone has their own idea, but I strongly suspect that Volkswagen makes the most profit on the sale of the California. Our dealer told me this and I tend to assume this. The California has been up to the T6 since the early 2000s and with only minimal changes. Then a completely new electronic system (most likely as a test for the later California) in the T6.1, which is still the same van from back then. Minimal development costs for more than 20 years and a sales success. Profit margins are huge, I would assume. The California is such an important product for them that they have already expanded the range and certainly did not rush into the successor to the California; the new one on a multivan basis will not be to everyone's taste, but it will certainly also be sold like hot cakes again and for a long time. The converters will extensively convert the new Ford Transporter and there will be customers for that, but Volkswagen will continue with the Multivan California and not a transporter cali. Not my first choice if I had to replace ours, but fortunately I don't want this and plan to drive and travel with it daily for a long time to come.
Everyone has their own idea and no one is wrong or right because time will tell.
Yes, the devlopmnent costs are minimal, especially when much of it is done by 3rd party suppliers vis a vie the new bellows. The new MV Cali is the biggest departure from the original concept in decades. As you say, time will tell if its a success or a flop.

Would agree, especially if vans keep getting returned to have roof canvas swapped over.

Roof corrosion came first, then we had the batch of leaky side windows, now it’s roof bellows.
All of which eat into profits.

Now, although the original concept hasn’t changed much over 20years. The same can be said for the Transporter panel vans, with a lot less headaches and complications.

Roof corrosion came first, then we had the batch of leaky side windows, now it’s roof bellows.
All of which eat into profits.

Now, although the original concept hasn’t changed much over 20years. The same can be said for the Transporter panel vans, with a lot less headaches and complications.
Those are just marginal costs for vw, embarrassing for them but marginal. The transporter panel van with a lot less headaches and complications? Of course. That kind of makes sense since they are not a California.
Edit:
Development costs have been recouped years ago and the prices for a California are not exactly low and many are still sold (I found the number of 160,000 copies already sold, but don't quote me on that because I also read 140,000 from 2003-2021). And all this on the basis of a van that sold reasonably well. Count your profit, Volkswagen! I don't know whether the new one based on the multivan will be such a success, but I suspect it will. But although I like the look of it and I suppose it will drive well, the camper part does not appeal to me: double sliding door and a drawer refrigerator and then small boxes under the two seats at the back, resulting in significantly less storage space inside.

Last edited:
Latter is what I’m after
This is what I bought for mine.
replaced the original mattress, left the pad in at the bottom underneath the new mattress. seems better that way. Roof closes fine.

I read somewhere that they were modifying the T7 Multivan
I guess they’re almost done, they've been working on it for some time I would think ;)
volkswagen-multivan-t7-california-concept.webp

Quite a bit can also be found on YouTube.

I guess they’re almost done, they've been working on it for some time I would think ;)

Can't wait to see one in one real life. I better head over the Nutzefahrzuge Kundencenter and see if they have a demo on display. Only then can I tell if the interior size is compromised. It's already tight enough in a T6.1.

The outside of that looks way nicer than the dodgy t6.1.
Still think the t6 is the best looking version to date (outside).
I have no real pro or con for the new one: it will be good for many. I too think it's nice looking, but the camper part is a step backwards because of the two sliding doors, a drawer refrigerator and small containers under the two rear seats, which means there is a lot less storage space. For us (4) a no go, but for others maybe the new campervan they dreamed of. In any case, we will keep our reliable t6.1 coast (which I think is the best looking, but that is personal and I will not enter into a debate about it ;)).

Can't wait to see one in one real life. I better head over the Nutzefahrzuge Kundencenter and see if they have a demo on display. Only then can I tell if the interior size is compromised. It's already tight enough in a T6.1.
I have read several times and also saw this on YouTube that it gives a more spacious feeling than you would think. This is indeed something we can only experience when he finally arrives. It is quite clear that there is less storage space in that California concept than what we all have now. I even suspect that they are targeting a more exclusive buying public and want to turn it into a real lifestyle product. Now I think of my cali as a real camper, small but certainly effective as a camper for us. Whether it will still be suitable for a family of 4 remains to be seen. Maybe Volkswagen wants to send us to a larger size such as a GC (but I don't want that because the outside dimensions of our t6.1 are perfect as I want them and extremely suitable for daily use and certainly for our way of traveling). Everyone has their own choice of course.
Still, I'm very curious to see one in real life :thumb

Does look smart with double door opening! I think it is a longer wheel base than the Transporter?

Does look smart with double door opening! I think it is a longer wheel base than the Transporter?
Yes, it’s the long wheel base of the multivan (and a bit longer than the transporter we now know).
Although I am not a fan of the second sliding door at all, I do understand that you (right-hand drive vehicles) do appreciate that second door.

Guys, guys, listen to yourselves…
I loves a Volkswagen van, owned most of them. But you’re getting carried away with nostalgia of the previous versions. The infamous Volkswagen build and style disappeared post T4. A T6.1 does not have an ounce of charm or charisma of the older T1 or T2s maybe even a T3.
Since the T5 it really is like most of the others on the market, granted I prefer the drive of the Transporter and seating position. Otherwise, the competition (build, reliability and customisation) is now at VW levels.

The new vans looks great and more importantly it’s finally moving on. The platform has needed this for a while…
You can bury your heads in the sand if you want. But 2/3 years from now, the new platform will be established and everyone will want the latest model…

:thumb
I appreciate you're getting some stick, but I agree with you. I am trading my 3 month old Cali in a few months (nothing to fault about the Cali other than it not being quite to my requirements)
I am in the fortunate position to be able to keep it should I have wished and as much I would have liked it either remain at the same value or increase I could choose to keep it for another 12 months. If anyone had a view on this the dealers would, and I can say from experience of the past week I've found it extremely difficult to get a trade in now or even an underwrite for late spring. I called probably 10 different VW dealers and none of them would even bid on it as they said they are flooded with supply at present and uncertain about future values.
The Cali is iconic I agree, but there are only a minuscule percentage of vehicles where buyers have shunned the replacement over it's immediate predecessor, The 911 993 already mentioned is one of these rare examples. VW design chiefs & accountants will be acutely aware of the risks so I'm sure they will have to make the replacement worthy of change for existing Cali owners. Remember VW probably already knows what the successor will look like in full detail, we can only speculate.

I don't take @soulstyledevon views as anything other than a perfectly feasible if not very likely outcome. We may be wrong but sometimes I think peoples wishes can be father to their thoughts partiularly when they own said vehicle.

I of course could be wrong and I mean absolutely no offense to other like me who own the amazing VW California.

I appreciate you're getting some stick, but I agree with you. I am trading my 3 month old Cali in a few months (nothing to fault about the Cali other than it not being quite to my requirements)
I am in the fortunate position to be able to keep it should I have wished and as much I would have liked it either remain at the same value or increase I could choose to keep it for another 12 months. If anyone had a view on this the dealers would, and I can say from experience of the past week I've found it extremely difficult to get a trade in now or even an underwrite for late spring. I called probably 10 different VW dealers and none of them would even bid on it as they said they are flooded with supply at present and uncertain about future values.
The Cali is iconic I agree, but there are only a minuscule percentage of vehicles where buyers have shunned the replacement over it's immediate predecessor, The 911 993 already mentioned is one of these rare examples. VW design chiefs & accountants will be acutely aware of the risks so I'm sure they will have to make the replacement worthy of change for existing Cali owners. Remember VW probably already knows what the successor will look like in full detail, we can only speculate.

I don't take @soulstyledevon views as anything other than a perfectly feasible if not very likely outcome. We may be wrong but sometimes I think peoples wishes can be father to their thoughts partiularly when they own said vehicle.

I of course could be wrong and I mean absolutely no offense to other like me who own the amazing VW California.
I can imagine they are flooded with young second-hand Californias: many bought with the idea that it would be something for them, but without really knowing what it is and especially to travel with it. Not being quite to your requirements, you state: this is of course possible, everyone may have thought differently or even bought it somewhat impulsively. Why not? No harm done. But now there is a whole range of young second-hand ones coming up. You will get a very nice price, but you may have to wait a bit or try to sell it yourself. Good luck with your next purchase, whatever it may be :thumb

Last edited:
The outside of that looks way nicer than the dodgy t6.1.
Still think the t6 is the best looking version to date (outside).
It's an MPV with a poptop. Take another look with the poptop down. I don't hear anyone saying the MB MP is pretty and this MV could be related it looks so similar, especially the sloping roof line.

File:2019 Mercedes-Benz V220d Sport Marco Polo 2.1 Rear.jpg ...
VW Multivan T7 California Camper Spied In Production Form At The Nurburgring

The irony of the 993 vs 996 debate and the air cooled purists being that the 996 saved Porsche from bankruptcy.

As a former purist air cooled VW/Porsche owner, unless I have a barn of classics, I would never own one again. Slow, noisy (VW busses).

The relevance of this ramble? I guess markets evolve, tastes change and we change.

The 996 has gone from unloved oddball to the car of the moment for a lot of enthusiasts.

My gut instinct, the T6.1 may well be tomorrow’s 996. Quirky. Unloved by purists, but the defining end of an era, start of a new one.

I will be on the waitlist for a MV/T7. But if like the Buzz it doesn’t deliver, I’ll cancel and hold pat.

I understand the new Cali is being delayed, as there are issues with the MV hybrid engine and emissions I believe. Two alternative lumps are being considered and when one is chosen, the revised launch will be announced.

The irony of the 993 vs 996 debate and the air cooled purists being that the 996 saved Porsche from bankruptcy.

As a former purist air cooled VW/Porsche owner, unless I have a barn of classics, I would never own one again. Slow, noisy (VW busses).

The relevance of this ramble? I guess markets evolve, tastes change and we change.

The 996 has gone from unloved oddball to the car of the moment for a lot of enthusiasts.

My gut instinct, the T6.1 may well be tomorrow’s 996. Quirky. Unloved by purists, but the defining end of an era, start of a new one.

I will be on the waitlist for a MV/T7. But if like the Buzz it doesn’t deliver, I’ll cancel and hold pat.

I understand the new Cali is being delayed, as there are issues with the MV hybrid engine and emissions I believe. Two alternative lumps are being considered and when one is chosen, the revised launch will be announced.
But also people strive after cars that became infamous for different reasons, see the demand for Deloreans & Tribants today neither particularly great cars. I always thought the Boxster saved Porsche from bankruptcy ?

But also people strive after cars that became infamous for different reasons, see the demand for Deloreans & Tribants today neither particularly great cars. I always thought the Boxster saved Porsche from bankruptcy ?
The Boxster/996 financial saviour debate would rage on depending on one’s stance.

The 996 was designed to share Boxster parts. So the two will be eternally linked. Porsche had clearly determined their front engined direction was not the future. Which is a shame as the 928 is a wonderful car.

I don’t think people covet the 996 for anything other than it being a very good, underrated car.

This guy thinks so. And he knows a little bit.

IMG_1272.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought it was the Cayenne. Polluting the gene pool with an SUV (some with a VW V6) was considered sacrilege at the time.

You might be right. If the beds are the same width as the concept (around 10cm narrower than a T6.1) then that’s nearly into single bed territory for 2 adults. That is a step too far so it won’t be for us.
I concur. Also the mandatory twin rear seats that you can't lounge on, rather than the current comfy sofa is a deal breaker for me personally.

Back