Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New engine battery

simplybikes

simplybikes

Hi folks...I'm getting a new engine compartment battery and just wondering what will need to be reset after the battery is disconnected and replaced. The radio / nav unit will need to have the code inserted to work but I don't know what else. Anybody do this recently?

If you are just changing the battery over in one hit everything will be as it was. You should not need to enter codes etc. the only thing I found was that the one shot operation of the front windows stopped working but there is a reset function for this in your handbook.

I think the factory supplied Radio or SatNav is coded to the ECU. An aftermarket unit might well need the Code entered.

Just keep power to the battery leads via another battery and jump leads and everything will stay the same

Provided all the equipment is original VW, the computer looks after the codes so nothing will need to be reset.

I have had to disconnect the engine battery recently while fitting the correct trailer wiring with no ill effect.

Alan

But if you have a newer Cali with the smart generator, then if you change the battery to a different brand/type then you will need to use something like VCDS to update the settings. The settings also ask for the Serial number to be updated - I guess because the serial number will provide verification to the settings.