Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charging engine battery off leisure batteries

EddieEagle

EddieEagle

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just wondering if I were to unintentionally flatten my engine battery what is to stop me from running a CTEK charger from the inverter socket to charge the engine battery?

Too much time on my hands!!

Just wondering if I were to unintentionally flatten my engine battery what is to stop me from running a CTEK charger from the inverter socket to charge the engine battery?

Too much time on my hands!!
Assume this would be off hookup? So basically using leisure batteries to step up to mains ac then the CTEK BACK TO 12v. Probably not the most efficient route but can’t see why not, so long as the CTEK doesn’t overload the inverter.

Yes, no hook up.
Not efficient but in a fix ......
Just tying to work out if the 5 amp charger is more than 150W
W=VxA?

12Vx5A = 60W

Don't charge your engine battery and put the van on hookup at the sam time. I did it once, and everything went very hot!!

I was thinking 240 x 5
Maybe I have just answered my own question? Or is it output of 12 v ?
Thank you for replies

So how will you then charge up the leisure batteries after you run them down charging up the starter battery?

I am only thinking that if I were to flatten the engine with no hook up then to get it started in emergency situation .
I guess once engine started then all batteries will charge on the journey home then plug it in

I am only thinking that if I were to flatten the engine with no hook up then to get it started in emergency situation .
I guess once engine started then all batteries will charge on the journey home then plug it in
I get you, but if you are on day 3 of your camp won't the leisure batters be too low to achieve this?

We carry a modern Lithium jump pack nowadays.

Just had a look at the bumph on the charger, says input 240V 0.6A so happy days (just )
As I said . Too much time on my hands .

I’ve had a couple of issues with starter battery not having enough charge in it as it won’t work my start stop ,according to my main dealer it’s a low battery.
I think it’s a dodgy battery as it’s been like it on and off since new (3yrs) every time it goes in there’s an excuse not to replace it. ‍
Does anyone know how to close the side and rear doors fully with the electrical pull close, it’s the last bit at the end that requires an electric motor to close them shut ,I have doors now which aren’t sealed . Rain forecast and I’ve either got to get a new battery quick or try to get some charge in it first.
Cheers

If you are referring to the power latching, it sometimes needs resetting by shorting out the centre contacts on the pillar with your key. You should hear the latch cycle.
1587199764891.png
Otherwise, just push the door in on the left-hand side with flat palms until it catches.

Thanks for that , I did manage to get it jumped started off my other vehicle and all sorted .
Left if running for an hr here and there and all seems fine now .