Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New firepit

Looks good! Will be interested to hear how well it works!

First outing with the Oxbox.

Thoughts & Impressions:

Easy to pack in the Cali, as it is in a small flat cardboard box, really doesn't take up much space.

This however, I suspect, will collapse after a couple more trips. A square bag is needed. It would be nice if the manufacturers included one, as at £50, it is not cheap. At the very least an option would be nice.

Constructing the firebox was quick & easy. Moving it while constructed is a little more difficult, though is possible so long as the base is installed. Best to make it where you want it.

Worked well, no problems starting & maintaining a fire. I had been slightly concerned by the lack of ventilation from the bottom, but clearly didn't need to be, as there was no issues.

Cleaning out a nights ash in the morning was a relatively easy (though dirty) job, as the base lifts out, and you can pour the ash away.

Slight concern was the small amount of warping of the metal, and also the small patches of rust that had appeared. I'll need to keep an eye on these & report back.

Would also be nice to have optional grids for BBQ (perhaps on legs, so not needed to be full height, and fire, for heating pots on.

Overall recommended, though with the above noted reservations.

7334203878_c3b4d7d5a9_c.jpg

7334185176_f55929bcc0_b.jpg

Looks good, as does the van!

We dug a pit about 4ft x 2ft, laid heavy duty chicken wire over it and cooked for the masses. Hung a Dutch oven over it on a tripod too - that worked well.

Pit now restored - we managed to remember to "turf" the grass and got it back to looking the same (ish). This was in a relatives field though!

We always used to dig firepits, way back when I was in the Scouts! Most campsites don't seem too keen (!), but a few do allow elevated fires to be used. Some sites also seem to have strange rules, allowing BBQ's, but not raised fires .... I can't quite fathom the difference!

Back