Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New here, looking to buy the Ocean…

couplands

couplands

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
An introduction, we’re long time caravaners, now tenters but want a campervan.

Planning of going all-in with a new Cali Ocean.

Hi,

New here as we are just speccing up a California Coast or Ocean.

First question, given the current demand for campervans is it to be expected that there is little or no discount on ordering a new van..? Or do I need to try harder..!?

Edit: I’ve had some offers that equate to a 10% discount with May 22 deliver.

There is an offer at the moment to include 4yrs servicing, 4rs roadside assistance and Caravan Club membership.

The specs we are looking at are as follows, would be useful for any feedback on whats useful or useless..

Ocean 150BHP 7 Speed DSG

Choice of Metallic Paints
Removable Tow Bar
Removable 5th Seat
17” Woodstock alloys
All Weather Tyres
Comfort Mattress
80L Fuel Tank
First Aid Kit With Warning Triangle and Safety vest
All other Ocean features

Cheers

Simon

PS a photo of the colour my Mrs likes (and her getting giddy about it..lol!!)
974B363E-3314-4A1C-8B86-DC114C22C530.jpeg

Welcome! We're a couple of months ahead of you - we ordered mid April, currently expecting delivery around next April - original dealers estimate was this October!

Think you answered your own question re: discounts, we ended up with about 9%, by taking the "drive the deal" quote to our local dealer.

Just looked at your options list - you get the first aid kit and warning triangle as standard (at least when we ordered ours), you're paying £60 for the optional high vis jacket to go in it!

Hey - we have the same colour, go for it...looks great!

Feedback - do you need the 5th seat? Personally I think it would get in the way??? I have heated front screen, should be useful in the winter (we use as a daily driver). We also have the bigger battery too and the full driving aids - both work for us.

There are many owners who opt for the 5th seat only to find that it is under used.

By having the 5th seat it takes up quite a bit of cabin space, so if you do not use it it is an inconvenience.

The 5th seat is a large and heavy component to fit in and remove each time.

So do you really need it?

There are always loads of 5th seats on the second hand market, including here.

Might be better to opt for the non ocean option and have the 3 seat rear bench instead.

I'd certainly look to loan or hire an ocean with the 5th seat to see if it is practical for your needs.

In my eyes the 5th seat option in an ocean only works if you forego the rear boot space, move the bench seat as far as it will go rearwards, Probably ok for a day trip with the family but difficult if you are looking to travel and need to carry a load of camping gear etc......just my opinion on this.

Hey - we have the same colour, go for it...looks great!

Feedback - do you need the 5th seat? Personally I think it would get in the way??? I have heated front screen, should be useful in the winter (we use as a daily driver). We also have the bigger battery too and the full driving aids - both work for us.
Re: 5th seat, our thinking is that we look after our 3 young grandchildren and need to be able to have 3 seat belted seats for their car seats (plus us two). We won’t take them camping, so only need it when using the Cali as a daily driver, so will remove it. Our other cars aren’t big enough for 3 car seats plus two adults.

I like heated screens, have them on other car but don’t use it too often.

to give you some useful advice we'd need a bit more info. how many people will be camping? who sleeps upstairs? how long are your stays at a site?
Only two adults for camping, but we have 3 small grandchildren we regularly look after and it would be useful to have 3 seatbelted seats for their car seats. 5th seat would be removed for camping.

Might just order the 5th seat rail (I assume it’s not a retrofit..?) and buy the seat as/when needed….

Ignore the safety vest option, it just silly when they cost £1 at most
the Comfort mattress is an interesting one, I ordered it, but like many others now am in perpetual search of something to replace it with. As you have the best part of a year to find the correct mattress i would forego. Getting the VW option. Like the 5th seat they are always lots for sale in the 2nd hand market that have only been used for one night.

Just looked at your options list - you get the first aid kit and warning triangle as standard (at least when we ordered ours), you're paying £60 for the optional high vis jacket to go in it!
Might delete that then, a good excuse to purchase a good first aid kit instead…

The big problem with the fifth seat is is not like a jump seat that you get in other vehicles its a full size seat and for me would need to be used semi permanently if i went for it, its just too cumbersome for regular movement. As I went 4 motion it was a moot point for me as you cannot fit the required third rail. So far I haven’t had any reason to miss having one.

Re: 5th seat, our thinking is that we look after our 3 young grandchildren and need to be able to have 3 seat belted seats for their car seats (plus us two). We won’t take them camping, so only need it when using the Cali as a daily driver, so will remove it. Our other cars aren’t big enough for 3 car seats plus two adults.

I like heated screens, have them on other car but don’t use it too often.
I think that many go for the 5th seat for the same reasons as you. But the seat is large and heavy and not the easiest to install/remove.

I strongly recommend that you give it a try at the VW showroom. Then consider where you will store the seat when removed.

We have the heated windscreen in our ocean, and it is useless!

Having had heated windscreens in our Ford cars we opted for the same in teh ocean. But the VW screen simply does not work. It is far better to rely on the AirCon and Max button to clear the screen, and save the money. In our case this was a £500+ option that was wasted!

Ignore the safety vest option, it just silly when they cost £1 at most
the Comfort mattress is an interesting one, I ordered it, but like many others now am in perpetual search of something to replace it with. As you have the best part of a year to find the correct mattress i would forego. Getting the VW option. Like the 5th seat they are always lots for sale in the 2nd hand market that have only been used for one night.
We considered a different mattress topper, but like the factory one as it folds in the right places to sit on the rear load space.

Are there others that fold like that..?

It’s very bulky, and if you use a topper with it to get over the hardness then it takes up a huge amount of space. Though i do admit it is easy to set up from inside the van. I use my van daily so had to buy a bag for the mattress and it lives in the garage most of the time now Or the rear shelf would be unusable.

I have considered Duvalay and zonesleep but am current awaiting the Sea to Summit self inflating mattress. Until it arrives ???? I am using the upstairs bed with a topper as I can’t get any sleep on the downstairs bed without taking a house full of extra bedding to try and make it comfy.

It’s very bulky, and if you use a topper with it to get over the hardness then it takes up a huge amount of space. Though i do admit it is easy to set up from inside the van. I use my van daily so had to buy a bag for the mattress and it lives in the garage most of the time now Or the rear shelf would be unusable.

I have considered Duvalay and zonesleep but am current awaiting the Sea to Summit self inflating mattress. Until it arrives ???? I am using the upstairs bed with a topper as I can’t get any sleep on the downstairs bed without taking a house full of extra bedding to try and make it comfy.
Look forward to hearing your view on the Sea to Summit/Comfort mattress comparison.

:welcomeI hope that you end up with your ideal Cali and enjoy many happy adventures in he/she/it.

Hi,

First question, given the current demand for campervans is it to be expected that there is little or no discount on ordering a new van..? Or do I need to try harder..!?

There is an offer at the moment to include 4yrs servicing, 4rs roadside assistance and Caravan Club membership.

The specs we are looking at are as follows, would be useful for any feedback on whats useful or useless..

Ocean 150BHP 7 Speed DSG

Removable Tow Bar
Removable 5th Seat
17” Woodstock alloys
All Weather Tyres
Comfort Mattress
80L Fuel Tank
All other Ocean features

Cheers

Simon

View attachment 80773
Consider the Dynamic Chassis Control. Lots on here complain about the wallowing ride and upgrade the suspension after market.

I’ll check out the Sea to summit option, great to hear your practical experience..

Interesting, would be good to hear from those who went for the option (have you..?).
Yes I added it after I'd ordered based on the reviews of it on here. I was looking at coilovers based on the rave reviews of their ability to resolve ride issues (along with upgraded anti-roll bars (ARBs) and lowering etc). I had overlooked DCC as an expensive option better suited to sports cars, but the reviews on here (search DCC) along with the DtD 'discount' and the fact I intend to keep my Cali for decades led me to think the investment might be worth it, softening up the ride crashing through potholes round town, and on the motorway, and more importantly firming it up for B-roads, alpine hairpins and the like. I've never driven a Cali with DCC though, so we'll see...I look forward to trying it when my van finally arrives...

Hi,

Ocean 150BHP 7 Speed DSG

Removable Tow Bar
Removable 5th Seat
17” Woodstock alloys
All Weather Tyres
Comfort Mattress
80L Fuel Tank
All other Ocean features

Cheers

Simon

View attachment 80773

I ordered a new ocean about 3 or 4 weeks ago, there was tell at the time of 10% discounts but in practice I couldn’t find them and got about 6% in the end. I think the 4 years service, warranty, roadside and cc membership expires end on June.

I think that many go for the 5th seat for the same reasons as you. But the seat is large and heavy and not the easiest to install/remove.

I strongly recommend that you give it a try at the VW showroom. Then consider where you will store the seat when removed.

We have the heated windscreen in our ocean, and it is useless!

Having had heated windscreens in our Ford cars we opted for the same in teh ocean. But the VW screen simply does not work. It is far better to rely on the AirCon and Max button to clear the screen, and save the money. In our case this was a £500+ option that was wasted!

Yes agree on this, when we bought our Passat 2 years ago was excited to have the option of proper element heated windscreen, but it turned out to be useless and nowhere near as good as fords I had seen it on many years before, I wouldn’t bother with the VW version I have yet to notice it actually doing anything at all!!

Yes agree on this, when we bought our Passat 2 years ago was excited to have the option of proper element heated windscreen, but it turned out to be useless and nowhere near as good as fords I had seen it on many years before, I wouldn’t bother with the VW version I have yet to notice it actually doing anything at all!!
This is disappointing! We've ordered it for ours based on the experience of it in our Skoda which is pretty much ideal.

This is disappointing! We've ordered it for ours based on the experience of it in our Skoda which is pretty much ideal.
If you don't have a provisional build week yet you can delete it.