Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Member interested in T6.1 Beach

A

abz1734

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,
New member here from Lancashire, encouraged by the welcome email to post an introduction.
I’ve been following the posts on this site for a number of months and learnt so much from it so thank you all.

I’ve been debating whether to order a new Beach all summer or wait and get one that’s a couple of years old. By the time I’ve added the ‘essential’ for us options it’s easily over £60k even with the online broker discounts. The Coast with same options is a very similar price but we need 5 seats and bigger bed in case a third child arrives.
It will replace my car which is a lease that goes back at Christmas but I could manage without a car till factory order arrives in roughly a years time - not ideal but could make it work.
So options are order now or wait to see if a well specced T6.1 Beach comes up that’s not more expensive than a new one!

Hi,
New member here from Lancashire, encouraged by the welcome email to post an introduction.
I’ve been following the posts on this site for a number of months and learnt so much from it so thank you all.

I’ve been debating whether to order a new Beach all summer or wait and get one that’s a couple of years old. By the time I’ve added the ‘essential’ for us options it’s easily over £60k even with the online broker discounts. The Coast with same options is a very similar price but we need 5 seats and bigger bed in case a third child arrives.
It will replace my car which is a lease that goes back at Christmas but I could manage without a car till factory order arrives in roughly a years time - not ideal but could make it work.
So options are order now or wait to see if a well specced T6.1 Beach comes up that’s not more expensive than a new one!
This is the time of year, Autumn/Winter that traditionally saw more 2ndhand vehicles for sale and hence lower prices but with the pandemic that may not be the case.
You could hedge your bets, order a new one, continue looking and cancel the new order if something comes along. You should be able to get your deposit back.

That's good to know thank you. I hadn't considered being able to cancel an order - I'm the type of person that would feel bad but it does make sense to open up the options and finally commit.
The current 4.9% finance and 2 service offer is on till the end of Sept so that's another reason to go ahead and order - I can't see the offer improving with the current situation.
Does anyone remember roughly the difference in price between a new and 1-2 year old Beach was pre-pandemic?

How about getting a second hand beach now, that isn't necessarily your ideal spec, get some experience with it and then order your ideal one. When it finally arrives you resell the first one (or maybe you can use it as a trade-in), probably at very close to what you paid for it.

How about getting a second hand beach now, that isn't necessarily your ideal spec, get some experience with it and then order your ideal one. When it finally arrives you resell the first one (or maybe you can use it as a trade-in), probably at very close to what you paid for it.
Hi, thanks for the advice. The used T6.1 Beach Campers I've seen for sale in the UK are currently more expensive than ordering a new one.
We like the idea of the T6.1 camper with the fold out stove for hot drinks on the move plus it saves £300 a year (x5) on road tax compared to previous models - from my understanding!
If I go for one up to 5 years old they're still easily within £20k of getting a new one. Plus the finance packages on new are better which closes the gap - residuals at the end closing gap further. And I'd be much more comfortable knowing it was in manufacturers warranty. And I like the idea of getting a newer vehicle if I'm being honest!

That's good to know thank you. I hadn't considered being able to cancel an order - I'm the type of person that would feel bad but it does make sense to open up the options and finally commit.
The current 4.9% finance and 2 service offer is on till the end of Sept so that's another reason to go ahead and order - I can't see the offer improving with the current situation.
Does anyone remember roughly the difference in price between a new and 1-2 year old Beach was pre-pandemic?
Seems to me (about to take delivery) that the finance offers available to me are the ones available now, rather than the ones when I ordered 12 months ago...
Don't worry about cancelling your order - the dealer will love you, and sell it for much more than you'd have paid (especially of you had a 9%ish drive the deal discount). Even if you don't want it though, as it stands today it would be well worth taking delivery and selling privately for a healthy profit.

Hi,

I have done exactly this, sold my car with 4 months left on PCP, settled finance and put a deposit on a beach camper. I have been told wait time is shorter than for an ocean or coast, about 6-8 months. There are nearly new similar models selling for more than retail as people will want to jump the queue.
My advice would be to order one and if your circumstances change you can cancel order or sell for similar purchase price.
Obviously you may be without a car whilst waiting though

Seems to me (about to take delivery) that the finance offers available to me are the ones available now, rather than the ones when I ordered 12 months ago...
Don't worry about cancelling your order - the dealer will love you, and sell it for much more than you'd have paid (especially of you had a 9%ish drive the deal discount). Even if you don't want it though, as it stands today it would be well worth taking delivery and selling privately for a healthy profit.
That's reassuring, thank you. When I visited a dealer last month he seemed to imply that he could apply the best finance package between point of order and delivery. So if they get worse he can still honour the current 4.9% and two free services if I sign up before end of Sept. I may have mis-understood though. Maybe the finance deals haven't changed in the past year, or even improved?

That's reassuring, thank you. When I visited a dealer last month he seemed to imply that he could apply the best finance package between point of order and delivery. So if they get worse he can still honour the current 4.9% and two free services if I sign up before end of Sept. I may have mis-understood though. Maybe the finance deals haven't changed in the past year, or even improved?
I’m not sure either, but your dealer seems more focussed than mine on your best deal rather than theirs.

I have done exactly this, sold my car with 4 months left on PCP, settled finance and put a deposit on a beach camper. I have been told wait time is shorter than for an ocean or coast, about 6-8 months. There are nearly new similar models selling for more than retail as people will want to jump the queue.
My advice would be to order one and if your circumstances change you can cancel order or sell for similar purchase price.
Obviously you may be without a car whilst waiting though
Thanks for the info and advice. Interesting you were told 6-8months. When did you order if you don't mind me asking? I was told 8-10 when I enquired last month, but want to be prepared for longer just in case it slips.

@abz1734 not sure if it’s of interest to you, but I was at the Hereford van center on Wednesday and they had a second hand Beach in the showroom. White ‘Special Edition’, I recall it was a 2019 (?) at around £55k (not 100% sure on the exact price, just had a quick glance).

@abz1734 not sure if it’s of interest to you, but I was at the Hereford van center on Wednesday and they had a second hand Beach in the showroom. White ‘Special Edition’, I recall it was a 2019 (?) at around £55k (not 100% sure on the exact price, just had a quick glance).
The same dealer bought a two tone that was advertised on here for £62,500 and has applied some california tax to it...

1631804834500.png

There are clearly lots of mugs about, but I don't think there can be that many left surely?

That T6 edition they've got looks ok, but it doesn't have a parking heater.

I thought this one probably looked best of the bunch currently and it's under £50k.

1631805562629.png

If it was my money I'd get that with the "VW All In" warranty.

PS. Buying a used van doesn't have to be a worry.

If you didn't know about the "ALL IN" thing here is some more info on it:

The same dealer bought a two tone that was advertised on here for £62,500 and has applied some california tax to it...

View attachment 84479

There are clearly lots of mugs about, but I don't think there can be that many left surely?

That T6 edition they've got looks ok, but it doesn't have a parking heater.

I thought this one probably looked best of the bunch currently and it's under £50k.

View attachment 84480

If it was my money I'd get that with the "VW All In" warranty.
Thank you both. I'll have a proper look at them tonight. We need an auto so that narrows it down a bit. Didn't know about the all in warranty so will check that out too.

I’m not sure either, but your dealer seems more focussed than mine on your best deal rather than theirs.
Swings and roundabouts - my local dealer is very close so would prefer to go with them however the person I spoke to indicated that ~6% discount was the best they could do and got a little unsettled when I mentioned broker discounts. I haven't spent ages with them either - a finance quote over e-mail using a code I'd specced up online and 1/2hr answering questions and showing me the stock vans they had when I visited. We don't require a test drive. So it's not like they're going to spend loads of time getting the deal.
I'd have to go via drive the deal etc. route if we end up buying new. They're currently showing 9% discount and I've seen others on here achieve 10%. Around £2k additional saving for our spec.

Hi,

Hi. Just to say we were in same position as you 12 months ago. Company car has gone and now have a beach and an up!

it’s a very slippery slope. We started off thinking older van, then tempted to get something newer, then why not get exactly what you want. Suddenly £30k becomes £60k.

We have two young children and got the three seat bench. We’re not having any more but it’s still useful to have an adult sat with them sometimes!

big bed is great for all of us having a cuddle in the morning.

It’s a scary and big decision but think risks can be mitigated and we’ve had no regrets since delivery in May.

Hi. Just to say we were in same position as you 12 months ago. Company car has gone and now have a beach and an up!

it’s a very slippery slope. We started off thinking older van, then tempted to get something newer, then why not get exactly what you want. Suddenly £30k becomes £60k.

We have two young children and got the three seat bench. We’re not having any more but it’s still useful to have an adult sat with them sometimes!

big bed is great for all of us having a cuddle in the morning.

It’s a scary and big decision but think risks can be mitigated and we’ve had no regrets since delivery in May.
Yes sounds like we are in exactly the same position but a year apart! Great to hear your insight thank you! I've had a nosey at your previous posts and came across pics of your van... it looks very similar to the one I've specced and great to see the art velours interior in a Beach - it is darker than the Ocean and Coast - I was told it was the same colour. That, and the change in the dash and trim etc did worry me but yours looks great. I'm going to have a read of your 'FEEDBACK ON BEACH PURCHASE PLEASE' later tonight and I'll probably pick up more info. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info and advice. Interesting you were told 6-8months. When did you order if you don't mind me asking? I was told 8-10 when I enquired last month, but want to be prepared for longer just in case it slips.
Just a few weeks ago

Blimey. The logicaly me says no one will pay that this late in the season. I also think I'm wrong.

As a 2017 Beach owner with similar miles and a high spec I'm staggered. Albeit a manual I paid £10k less when new.
I know. I'd take it over a T6.1 though.

I’m starting to feel that I gave away my 18 plate Beach Edition earlier on in the year when I sold it for just under 43k!

You might like to read this...

Read it in the summer mate, it's just you venting your spleen about a van you don't own. You seem to take every opportunity to take a pop at the 6.1, you have to expect a little push back from those that do own them and are very happy with them.

Read it in the summer mate, it's just you venting your spleen about a van you don't own. You seem to take every opportunity to take a pop at the 6.1, you have to expect a little push back from those that do own them and are very happy with them.
Apologies, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. If you like cheap plastics it's a great choice.

The previous generation had a better finish. (And didn't look like a dog with a bone in its mouth)