Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ocean Battery Empty

Many people state on here that when your batteries go flat and are left a while they are knackered and need to be replaced..Not from my personal experience..Mine went down to zero on the control panel and listening to people on here I thought oh well they obviously know what’s what.. But I thought I will try and disconnect all my add ons, That is front and rear dash cams and sat nav..Charged the batteries for 24 hours to 100%. Turned of the control panel 8 weeks later into the lockdown without any use turned the control panel on..Batteries at 90%.. and everything working perfectly again..
Please see the AGM Battery warranty exclusions.
13F3F39B-17A9-4E0F-95A7-C2477AE7736A.jpeg

Hi again guys,
So I'm just back from the dealership. Believe it or not they said that they had two other Californias in this morning with the same problem. They managed to get sorted eventually. He said that there was some glitch with the software update but they had a fix. On the other two vans, they disconnected and reconnected all batteries and that worked. It didn't work on mine however and he was about to give me a temporary car and hold onto the California for the weekend, meaning having to cancel our plans for a trip this weekend. I wasn't happy. Then he came back out and said they tried again and mine was now fixed but that they were testing it.
@WelshGas they didn't actually reset the control panel as such.
@Rowls1958 Yes I imagine it was sitting up for a while but they assured me that the batteries were in fact fully charged but the van's system believed they weren't, until everything was reset.
The mechanic said (apparently a California engineer and the only one in Ireland :rolleyes:) that VW leave a battery terminal loose to prevent batteries going flat while being shipped.
Anyway all is good now. I'm off out to play with it now! :)
Hi, RTT!
Tell me please, is it all good with your car now?
I've had the same issue with my new T6.1 Ocean, and the dealer just updated the software and it worked.

But now I never know if it's charging on 220 hook-up. The yellow sign turns on but the battery range remains the same after 24 or 48 hours on hook-up...
How do you know if it's properly charging while on hook-up? And when do you know that's fully charged? How long do I need to let it hooked-up for full charge?

Thank you!

Hi, RTT!
Tell me please, is it all good with your car now?
I've had the same issue with my new T6.1 Ocean, and the dealer just updated the software and it worked.

But now I never know if it's charging on 220 hook-up. The yellow sign turns on but the battery range remains the same after 24 or 48 hours on hook-up...
How do you know if it's properly charging while on hook-up? And when do you know that's fully charged? How long do I need to let it hooked-up for full charge?

Thank you!
Hi Silviud. Unfortunately not, no. Our California is back in the dealership regarding other issues. I'm experiencing vast changes in battery status on the control panel. After driving for three hours, the control panel said 25hours remaining, then an hour later, while stopped it said 60 hours remaining, then back down to 40 hours.

Without a key in the ignition, the "Welcome Loading user profile" remains in the infotainment screen for ages.(Apparently there's a software update for this)

The control panel froze on the "please wait" screen while the auxiliary heater was on and I was unable to switch it off.

The table strap doesn't fit around the rear headrest and the child safety net is too short to click into the allocated poppers. The passenger seatbelt height adjuster also wasn't working.
Wonder if it's too late to request a refund.

Hi Silviud. Unfortunately not, no. Our California is back in the dealership regarding other issues. I'm experiencing vast changes in battery status on the control panel. After driving for three hours, the control panel said 25hours remaining, then an hour later, while stopped it said 60 hours remaining, then back down to 40 hours.

Without a key in the ignition, the "Welcome Loading user profile" remains in the infotainment screen for ages.(Apparently there's a software update for this)

The control panel froze on the "please wait" screen while the auxiliary heater was on and I was unable to switch it off.

The table strap doesn't fit around the rear headrest and the child safety net is too short to click into the allocated poppers. The passenger seatbelt height adjuster also wasn't working.
Wonder if it's too late to request a refund.
I have the same issues with the battery status. It's always changing like you said. Decreasing after hours and hours of charging while driving, then suddenly increasing, then decreasing again and so on. I never really know if it's charged or not. The same with the hook-up. I have 48 hours since it's on charge and on the control panel the baterry is still at 22 hours left, exactely like before charging...
The welcome user stays for decades to me as well.
The safety net is too short, the same!
Please tell me, does your auxilary heating starts when you simply press the remote button or when you operate it on continuous mode?

I am curious if others with T6.1 are reading this topic if they can tell us how is the baterry status on their car? The same like us?

Reactions: RTT
I’m seeing exactly the same on my control panel. After driving, 20 hours left and then a few hours later 36 or more hours left.
It’s definitely a software issue. The issue for me is that it once switched off my fridge, so be careful!

The user profile loading fixed it’s self but I don’t know how. I have read that special symbols in a user name or password can cause this issue. A user in Germany had ‘&’ in his password, and as soon as he removed this, it worked.

I haven’t tried the safety net or the table strap, but I know the fixing below the table is in a different place to the T5/T6 but I think the strap is the same

Very frustrating for those putted theire money in a T6.1 and having these problems.
The price went up by a large amount and issue's are not beeing solved , sad thing , still selling like hot cakes....
I was close to getting a T6 a few years ago , glad i did not .
Very happy with my 8y old SE , never had any issues with the battery's , but don't know if VW will ever sell me another California ...

It see
I’m seeing exactly the same on my control panel. After driving, 20 hours left and then a few hours later 36 or more hours left.
It’s definitely a software issue. The issue for me is that it once switched off my fridge, so be careful!

The user profile loading fixed it’s self but I don’t know how. I have read that special symbols in a user name or password can cause this issue. A user in Germany had ‘&’ in his password, and as soon as he removed this, it worked.

I haven’t tried the safety net or the table strap, but I know the fixing below the table is in a different place to the T5/T6 but I think the strap is the same
emoji2361.png

Swissian, tell me please how long do you leave the car to hook-up for a full charge? And how do you know it is full? Does the yellow light dissapear? Can you see immediately any change in your battery range?

And the auxilary heating starts any time just by pressing the remote button or "continuous mode" on control panel? Have you operated it on any temperature?

I' m trying to get information from other T6.1 owners, as Vw dealer could not give any usefull information.

Thank you!

Same fluctuation in battery runtime on mine but have done nearly 3days on battery without issues and the actual level meter goes down at a sensible rate. I just assumed it was down to load I.e. when the fridge is on flat out maybe it will be 25 hours but as it gets down to temp 60 is possible?

Also have the loading user without the key in, on software version 156 (latest). Infotainment also turns off after I think 30 minutes which is super annoying considering it now runs off the leisure battery. It was also me who had an & in my display name which stopped we connect from syncing to the dash, but sorted once I dropped the special character.

I also find it annoying that the rear heater display backlight comes on when you have the parking heater on as I sleep right under it but not sure if that’s always been a thing...

Safety net seems fine as we have used it several times with my nest of vipers being only 6 & 2. It does have 2 press studs on each side of the net but only 1 on the each side of the bed?

I also find it annoying that the rear heater display backlight comes on when you have the parking heater on as I sleep right under it but not sure if that’s always been a thing...

None of this has stopped our enjoyment of the van though, it’s a awesome thing even though I did expect better for this kind of money
70138CDF-CBA6-4FFC-BCE7-B4E0E2E60244.jpeg

I was a bit bummed, having bought a 2019 T6, that I missed on the latest T6.1 with a modern screen for the Camping Unit. Yet I have never been a fan of first gen new model.
These reported here are the inevitable "child problems"... sorry to hear

The irony is this is probably the last of the transporters in this form, so the outgoing version!

Also our table strap is also too short which was reported to VW Liverpool who are now ignoring me!

N
Also our table strap is also too short which was reported to VW Liverpool who are now ignoring me!
Sadly not surprised about VW Liverpool ignoring you we had very poor experiences with them so bought elsewhere.

Same fluctuation in battery runtime on mine but have done nearly 3days on battery without issues and the actual level meter goes down at a sensible rate. I just assumed it was down to load I.e. when the fridge is on flat out maybe it will be 25 hours but as it gets down to temp 60 is possible?

Also have the loading user without the key in, on software version 156 (latest). Infotainment also turns off after I think 30 minutes which is super annoying considering it now runs off the leisure battery. It was also me who had an & in my display name which stopped we connect from syncing to the dash, but sorted once I dropped the special character.

Safety net seems fine as we have used it several times with my nest of vipers being only 6 & 2. It does have 2 press studs on each side of the net but only 1 on the each side of the bed?

None of this has stopped our enjoyment of the van though, it’s a awesome thing even though I did expect better for this kind of money
View attachment 64737

View attachment 64737
I want to ask you the same question: how long do you leave the car to hook-up for a full charge and how do you know that it's full charged after hook-up? Is it a change in the range of the battery, is the yellow sign turning off when the charge is complete?

I am really enjoying this car and I have already had great moments with it! But it's just the fact that I am a little stressed because I have had that issue with emptying the batteries and not being able to recharge it anymore( only after soft update at Vw they could). And now I don't know if the problem is solved. Until now I have charged it while driving I think and I don't know how can I be sure that it is properly charging while on 220 hook-up. I am not sure that the yellow sign means that it is charging or that the cable is just pluged in...

And about the auxiliary heating, if you have used it, is it starting just by pressing the remote button or " continuos mode"? On my car, after a lot of trying, I could start it only pressing "continuous mode" followed after a few seconds by "heat imediatelly". There's no logic. That is an issue that at Vw they could not explain either and I just have to ask other owners how is it...

Not a lot of choice as Liverpool was autoebids dealer and i saved well over 6k with them!

I use the van a fair bit so its only been on charge twice for around 12 hours each time (before camping for a few days and to get the fridge down to temp) and the battery has not actually dropped below half according to the display even after 2 and half days camping. I just use the display to get an indication of charge when all the little lines are lit the battery is full as far as far as im aware. never take much notice of the time it states as it will be load dependant, if you look at it with the fridge cooling down warm food and the heater on full blast it will show a really small time until the batteries empty but that will increase as the fridge gets down to temp and the van warms up if that makes sense. I agree though the algorithm seems crap.

In terms of the heater it works using all methods but remember its on a stat so if you have it on say level 5 im guessing that will correlate to set temp (say 21 degrees or something). In the middle of summer you will need it on a high setting for it to actuate I would imagine

The yellow sign means its on mains and is charging unless the charger is knackered or the fuse to it is blown. This is my first cali though so im happy to be corrected on any of this

When I had the problem with charging the empty batteries the yellow sign was on, but no charge at all. I couldn't even start the control panel unless I switched on the ignition.
As described by the dealer, everything was ok, just a software problem, it did not recognise the charging.

It's been already 55 hours on mains, the yellow sign is still on and I have 22 hours range and 10/10 little blue lines, exactely as before charging. I don't know what this means, if it's charging or not...

Disconnect it and put the fridge on and see how long it lasts is my only suggestion. Then charge again, maybe it will sort itself out after a few charge cycles...

It see

Swissian, tell me please how long do you leave the car to hook-up for a full charge? And how do you know it is full? Does the yellow light dissapear? Can you see immediately any change in your battery range?

And the auxilary heating starts any time just by pressing the remote button or "continuous mode" on control panel? Have you operated it on any temperature?

I' m trying to get information from other T6.1 owners, as Vw dealer could not give any usefull information.

Thank you!

I normally charge for 12-24 hours before going away.
Yellow light comes on when plugged in and is only to indicate this. Light does not go off when the batteries are full.
I see the voltage in the display and anything over 12.7 is full.
When plugged in, or driving, it should show more (unless batteries are full I think)
So far I am ignoring totally the “time remaining” indicator as it is so inconsistent!
Yesterday I ran some errands in the Cali. Before setting off, display showed more than 60 hours, after driving around for more than an hour, it showed 22 hours left, and nothing was switched on!
It’s stressing me also, but I’m just going to ignore it.

I’ve not used the heating as it’s very hot here.

Ok, I understand it's the same for everyone, this is the way it is for every T6.1!
I'll just enjoy it from now on, no more worry! :)
Thank you for your replies!

hi guys is there a self fix? I have the same prob

Hi guys, is there a work around to fix this issue without going to the Garage?

The battery is actually charged after driving or with the power of the sun. it seems to be a software issue only.

thanks