New option for the California

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Lying in bed last night I had a genius idea for the boffins in Hannover to make a few extra €€€s. And also their awning supplier in Malmö.

A tickable option when ordering a VW California for an awning with integrated lighting and a 12 volt socket.

What genius option ideas do you have for the California.

The hydraulic roof that clicks in a slot when opened, so the pressure can be released from the hyrdraulic system.
On closing the roof, the pressure builds up again and unlocks the slot, and then starts closing the roof.

Lying in bed last night I had a genius idea for the boffins in Hannover to make a few extra €€€s. And also their awning supplier in Malmö.

A tickable option when ordering a VW California for an awning with integrated lighting and a 12 volt socket.

Thought the same thing actually about awning lights a while back. The homogeny of such would feel like the under kitchen top strip light but they screwed that up :rolleyes:

The hydraulic roof that clicks in a slot when opened, so the pressure can be released from the hyrdraulic system.
On closing the roof, the pressure builds up again and unlocks the slot, and then starts closing the roof.
Make it electric. The world has moved on since they installed the boffins at VW installed the hydraulics for the first time.

Many of these suggestions are personal, not all, but 2 that could be simply introduced without adding complexity are;
1. Swop the floor mounted handbrake to a Dashboard mounted version, mechanical not electric which have their own problems. The present models are all DSG due to emissions so the use of the handbrake is reduced in normal driving in comparison to a manual vehicle.
2. Move the boot 12v socket to the top of the rear D pillar trim. Easier access from outside for awning lights etc.

2. Move the boot 12v socket to the top of the rear D pillar trim. Easier access from outside for awning lights etc.
go one step further & put in an external socket under a flap.

go one step further & put in an external socket under a flap.
It's an added complexity, cutting an additional hole in the body panel, compared with just moving a hole in a plastic molding and adding a few feet to a wiring loom. Also an external socket could foul the sliding door.

It's an added complexity, cutting an additional hole in the body panel, compared with just moving a hole in a plastic molding and adding a few feet to a wiring loom. Also an external socket could foul the sliding door.

@andyinluton suggestion is just the sort of add-on tickable option intended by the thread. The thread was not intended for general design improvements, though these too are welcome.

I’d happily have paid an extra £100 for an external 12v waterproof socket. Integrating such a socket with the awning along with built in lighting was my original genius idea for the Hannover boffins. I reckon VW could charge an extra £200 for such an option.

A light on the awning…?
What, to help attract all the critters to the van.
I hope the option comes with a lifetimes worth of deet too.

1. External co-ax connector for TV aerial. (Maybe under EHU flap)
2. Finer mesh in pop-top vents (Midge proof)
3. Factory fitted solar panels (or wiring only with external connector in pop-top roof)

1. External co-ax connector for TV aerial. (Maybe under EHU flap)
2. Finer mesh in pop-top vents (Midge proof)
3. Factory fitted solar panels (or wiring only with external connector in pop-top roof)

I like #3, factory fitted solar panels. Is that an option with the Grand California or does it come as standard? It shows VW have considered it.

An external gas connection for BBQs (like the T3 Atlantic)
Integrated bottle opener mounted on the internal and or external tables.
Factory fitted gearbox Bearlock (very Ltd availability in UK)
Aux heater vent for the pop top

Serious suggestion, make the foldable Multi-Flex (as designed by @Max-Felix) which is available on new Beaches an option on the Ocean/ Coast.

It’s already been designed and executed in Beach, just needs to be implemented with the kitchen unit.

Back