Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Owner to be and Euro Driver 2016

B

Barnee

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all, I've read many posts on this forum and find the comeraderie and advice excellent, one in particular, "whose going where" by Jen. The replies to the thread have made me seriously consider Europe when I get a camper next year.
Two things however that make me hesitate a bit. First it will be my first camper, and secondly, a first for Euro driving, and being in my late seventies and fairly fit, I was wondering if there are any other "latecomers" who could give any advice based on their experience regarding driving and generally what I should look out for and basic do's and don'ts.
I had anticipated Brittany as a sort of introduction. Any help and advice most welcome.
Many thanks
BB

Book a one way ferry to Calais Barnee - you will have a great time. Give yourself time to acclimatise. My dad is 84 and loves his Euro trips - Easy tip - the kerb should always be just outside the drivers window. Have fun

You need to use your side mirrors much more than the rear view mirror.
There is a thread on driving in France where ToulonTom suggests lining up the screw heads on the wiper arms as a guide to keeping within the lines on the road.
I found this really useful when I first drove in France....you quickly get a feel of your road position and how close you can move to the verge to allow the sometimes over zealous overtaking behaviour of some road users

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for that info. A bit apprehensive but looking forward to it. Will be at the NEC next Thursday and hoping for a good day out.

Back