Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New squeak front roof panel

Simon Kelly

Simon Kelly

Peebs
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
A new and infuriating squeak has developed above the passenger seat. At first we thought it was something rubbing in the roof but it’s forward of that under the panel above the windscreen.
Anyone got any ideas or had this before? This area seems pretty solid and can’t imagine how anything could have changed within this panel or got inside?? Baffled. The squeak is worse at slow speeds over bumps in the road or turning.

A new and infuriating squeak has developed above the passenger seat. At first we thought it was something rubbing in the roof but it’s forward of that under the panel above the windscreen.
Anyone got any ideas or had this before? This area seems pretty solid and can’t imagine how anything could have changed within this panel or got inside?? Baffled. The squeak is worse at slow speeds over bumps in the road or turning.
With or without the roof shutter closed?

Has it had the Front Roof cap corrosion repair and if so which one, full replacement or plastic cap,?
It definitely had the corrosion repair, but not sure which one. It was a few years ago now.

It definitely had the corrosion repair, but not sure which one. It was a few years ago now.
The original repair was the complete replacement of the metal roof cap above the windscreen. The later repair was treatment of the galvanic corrosion and the fitting of a colour coded plastic cap sealed on with sealant. You should be able to decide which has been done by careful inspection. There have been reports of the plastic cap coming loose

Thanks WelshGas, I’ll look closely tomorrow once it’s full daylight, but I think it’s the roof cap, I’ve had a good nose round it over the last few days as I’ve been squeak hunting and I don’t recall a cap. The squeak does sound like it is inside the cap. Is that where the roof motor is house?

Thanks WelshGas, I’ll look closely tomorrow once it’s full daylight, but I think it’s the roof cap, I’ve had a good nose round it over the last few days as I’ve been squeak hunting and I don’t recall a cap. The squeak does sound like it is inside the cap. Is that where the roof motor is house?
The hydraulic motor and tank is located behind the Control Panel. Roof lining has to be removed for full access.

wow, im not sure I will go through that to chase the squeak

Yes, I have an idea what it can be but please try first what WG came up with.

I had exactly this when my van was brand new.
Was coming from the area above the sun visor on the drivers side. Squeaked/creaked when roof was up or down. Was worse in hot weather, creaked at slow speeds over bumps.
Took me months to track it down and fix it. Finally fixed it by attaching a long spray tube to a can of silicone spray and spraying all the areas where the front metal roof panel met the main body of the van. Had to pull the front of the headliner down for access.
Mine was the same, worse when turning at slow speeds over bumps, I think it was the actual body of the van/roof flexing slightly and ‘creaking’ on the joints where it met the metal section of the roof above the windscreen. It took me many attempts with silicone spray, but finally fixed it.

I think I did a post about it somewhere, but can’t find it now.

Last edited:
I had exactly this when my van was brand new.
Was coming from the area above the sun visor on the drivers side. Squeaked/creaked when roof was up or down. Was worse in hot weather, creaked at slow speeds over bumps.
Finally fixed it by attaching a long spray tube to a can of silicone spray and spraying all the areas where the front metal roof panel met the main body of the van. Had to pull the front of the headliner down for access.
Indeed, it is even a known problem at Volkswagen, but before they ‘want to know’ about it, it will take a while and it will only get worse. Usually it is the guide pins of the front roof spoiler (fixed piece) that scrape on the fixed original metal piece of the roof.
They also took off the headliner on ours and sprayed a grout in the holes. It is now resolved but next summer when there are hot temperatures again, I’ll see if it’s finally resolved.
It was as if the front window was cracking constantly, it drove me crazy. Drove around like this for many months and made sound clips, searched for hours on the internet and finally found a video on YouTube of a German with identical sound. That way I knew what was wrong and by passing this on to our dealer, they acknowledged it and did something about it. In the Netherlands (I'm Belgian) at Camper Centrum Amersfoort they know the issue and solve it for you immediately.

Thank you all for the advice. For the moment after about 4 days of squeaking it has vanished. Part of me wonders if my generous application of wd40 eventually made it down to whatever was rubbing. Or perhaps temperature changed it a bit and it will reappear?! Love the cali!

Hi @calibusje . Could a VW dealer in Belgium fix this squeak issue u think ? I still have warranty till december 2023. Thanks !

Hi @calibusje . Could a VW dealer in Belgium fix this squeak issue u think ? I still have warranty till december 2023. Thanks !
I would assume so because if you're experiencing the same thing I had a year ago, they're going to have to fix this: it was highly annoying and got progressively worse and louder. So with me it was the pins of the attachment at the top of the front window that can just touch the original piece of iron roof and scrape against it. They inject something in between (they can also put something else in between). My dealer did it for us and in CamperCentrum Amersfoort in the Netherlands they also know it and they have already solved a few. It would be a more common problem. Repaired under warranty but the problem had to be acknowledged by the importer first.
Success with it.

Back