Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Irritating Squeak

K

Kernowboy

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Thought I would share my experience of an increasingly loud and irritating squeak emanating from the cupboard area of my Ocean. Over a period of a few weeks, what started as a fairly quiet 'squeak' developed into a much louder and constant annoyance. Having emptied everything out and checked the table repeatedly, and with the kids reporting that it sounds like it's coming from the fridge, I finally resorted to having the wife drive around with me on my knees in the back with my head stuck in the under hob cupboard - clearly not on public roads! Finally found this under the fridge where the compressor etc is attached to the main fridge unit:
image.jpeg
There is a cage that contains the 'heart' of the fridge unit which is bonded to the foam insulation on the bottom of the fridge itself which had started to become physically detached, allowing the cage to drop a little and causing rubbing. Thus the squeak! Replaced under warranty, no quibbles. Silence restored!

Interestingly there were also a couple of what looked like refrigerant leaks evident, but which I am assured were just condensation reacting with the copper pipes, sounds plausible. All replaced anyway.
image.jpegimage.jpeg
So, if you have an annoying squeak, and it's not the table incorrectly stowed, then take a look through the inspection hatch in the side of the cupboard. It may just be a faulty fridge!

View attachment 42010

Thought I would share my experience of an increasingly loud and irritating squeak emanating from the cupboard area of my Ocean. Over a period of a few weeks, what started as a fairly quiet 'squeak' developed into a much louder and constant annoyance. Having emptied everything out and checked the table repeatedly, and with the kids reporting that it sounds like it's coming from the fridge, I finally resorted to having the wife drive around with me on my knees in the back with my head stuck in the under hob cupboard - clearly not on public roads! Finally found this under the fridge where the compressor etc is attached to the main fridge unit:
View attachment 42011
There is a cage that contains the 'heart' of the fridge unit which is bonded to the foam insulation on the bottom of the fridge itself which had started to become physically detached, allowing the cage to drop a little and causing rubbing. Thus the squeak! Replaced under warranty, no quibbles. Silence restored!

Interestingly there were also a couple of what looked like refrigerant leaks evident, but which I am assured were just condensation reacting with the copper pipes, sounds plausible. All replaced anyway.
View attachment 42009View attachment 42012
So, if you have an annoying squeak, and it's not the table incorrectly stowed, then take a look through the inspection hatch in the side of the cupboard. It may just be a faulty fridge!

View attachment 42010

It was the same with mine.

Pick it up and on the drive home the squeak drove me nuts. Fortunately SMG sorted it before my sanity became even more damaged than what it is normally :D

Well done tracking that down! We've got a similar problem with a noise emanating from above the drivers head....I've spent ages now scrabbling around in the back whilst husband is driving to try and pinpoint the source of the tapping noise - to no avail.....although on our first trip out this year at the weekend (and more scrabbling about) we think it might be the awning.....has anyone else had a problem with it?

Well done tracking that down! We've got a similar problem with a noise emanating from above the drivers head....I've spent ages now scrabbling around in the back whilst husband is driving to try and pinpoint the source of the tapping noise - to no avail.....although on our first trip out this year at the weekend (and more scrabbling about) we think it might be the awning.....has anyone else had a problem with it?
I've got what sounds like a similar noise.
I had the dealer look into it during its first service when a sliding door part was replaced but didn't cure the problem. They said that it would take time and need interior trim removing to trace the noise, a day or two and booked a return visit.
Took it back in and later got informed that it wasn't an exterior noise and would need trim removing for further investigation. No follow up on previous work apparently, started looking all over again. Then informed that as the Cali is over 6 months old panel/trim removal is no longer covered by the warranty and would be chargeable, I declined to have any further work carried out as it was a potential blank cheque and as I've lived with it for 2 years up to now I can either ignore it or investigate further myself.

At one point I thought that it may be the seat belt upper mounting, the part that is height adjustable. If I go looking I'll start there.

I've got what sounds like a similar noise.
I had the dealer look into it during its first service when a sliding door part was replaced but didn't cure the problem. They said that it would take time and need interior trim removing to trace the noise, a day or two and booked a return visit.
Took it back in and later got informed that it wasn't an exterior noise and would need trim removing for further investigation. No follow up on previous work apparently, started looking all over again. Then informed that as the Cali is over 6 months old panel/trim removal is no longer covered by the warranty and would be chargeable, I declined to have any further work carried out as it was a potential blank cheque and as I've lived with it for 2 years up to now I can either ignore it or investigate further myself.

At one point I thought that it may be the seat belt upper mounting, the part that is height adjustable. If I go looking I'll start there.

Mine was a very definitive squeak, the sort you get of foam on foam. Fortunately my local dealer is SMG who are excellent with those sorts of problems such as identifying squeaks.

We had the same problem, after much searching we removed the sun glasses from the holder behind the control unit, voila.

We had the same problem, after much searching we removed the sun glasses from the holder behind the control unit, voila.
Ha, we actually had that on our checklist! But still not the culprit

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Having had my Ocean for 4 weeks, this identical noise had been bugging me. Initially sounding like the table rattling in the side door, removing the table did not resolve it. However, closing the door from the outside I heard the identical tapping/rattle from within the awning housing. Placing various dense foam self adhesive pads from a cycle helmet on the folding arms within the housing and the cover that opens with the winding handle has reduced it significantly but further work needed to pin point all sources in this unit.

Back