Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T5 SE on Saturday, called Luna

Cemswood

Cemswood

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi I'm Claire and I live in Northumberland. Picked up Luna last sat and she's my every day vehicle for work but will be using her for road trip and festivals. Feeling a bit overwhelmed as not the most technical of people and not sure where to start setting her up, working how to use water, gas etc. Looks like this forum will be a godsend! Thanks!

Hi claire did you not get a demo of how things work when you collected it. Oh welcome by the way.

Thanks. It was quite late when picked her up and tbh just wanted to get away and work it out myself my using it rather than trying to take in a load of info I would just forget instantly

Welcome , if you don't get the technical part or need any help ....
One place to go....this forum;)
Try to reed some treads in the T5 & T6 specific sections on gas , water ,....
Reed the manual if you get one at the handover
Then go and check out in the Cali , use it on the driveway as an extention of your home for a weekend and you will be a whole lot wiser

Hi Claire - welcome to the forum!

I still have to go through a mental checklist of what to do and in what order re. gas and water etc. It does get easier after a couple of uses though and is definitely easier to learn when actually using it in my experience. Ariadne is also my everyday/only vehicle for work and holidays :)

Maud

Welcome to the Forum.
We started at the end of last October and had our first night in the Bristol Belle at the meet near Tewksbury. We've had quite a few weeks away in her now, but are still learning. The contributors to the Forum are so helpful. There is this video, made by a Dutch camper company that a number of us have watched and found really useful. Doesn't matter if you can't speak Dutch, he shows you what to look out for & do. Much easier than ploughing through the manual. Then look at specific bits of the manual afterwards to fill in extra detail. Hope it helps. Simon
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/basic-instructions-video.12678/

Hello Welcome
the putting down roof is the place where care is need until you get the hang of it, Always have windows / door open to let the pressure out as it comes down and check bellows not caught in arms on the last bit

Thank you everyone that is really helpful. I'm goin down to Cornwall in Feb half term with my 11 year old so trying to get the hang of it before then! The manual is a bit daunting but I've watched the video and feel a bit better!! Wondering if I should buy the beginners kit that's on sale through the club shop? It's £114 so not cheap...

Wondering if I should buy the beginners kit that's on sale through the club shop? It's £114 so not cheap...

You have to decided are you going to use it all. (my thoughts other will have threre own views)
We bought things we never used when we 1st started --- take from home until you know what you need

the pack has a lot of things you may already have at home or may have things you will never use

Pack includes:
Compact level ups ramps ( German made in black) Never owned or used ramps if I roll out of bed it is not level enough
Water fill up ( for filling your water tank)
Awning Tie Down Kit
Hook Up Cable (25 Metre)
Storage Bag for Hook Up Cable Use an old army bag already owned
Tent Peg/Utility storage bag Pre owned
UK 240v adapter ( For charging your Cali at home) Came with the van
Bellows bungee roof canvas protection BEST BUY you can make
80Amp Fuse (Spare)
Tent peg extractor Pre owned
Cali Club car sticker
Hook Up Polarity checker Pre owned BQ
3-Way Spirit Level Smart phone app
Camping Mallet Pre owned
Hanging fridge thermometer
Roll of Anti slip shelf matting in grey Ikea
Gas level indicator
USB Socket Converter (for use with inverter)
Cali Club Cards

As Meoncoast says, the roof is probably the bit you need to take real care with.
I would strongly advise that you get a bellows bungee which you put around the canvas to pull it inwards away from the scissor mechanism as you lower the roof. You'll find loads on it here. http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/search/1476959/?q=bellows+bungee&o=date at £12.99 it is very much the best buy.
It is, apparently about £700 to replace the canvas if it gets caught in the scissors as they come down.
The control console in the roof above the windscreen will instruct you to check that the roof bed is down, a window or door is open & the shutter above the front seats is open. You also need to look and see that the canvas is coming inwards.
You might want to see if there are any other owners around you having a meet that you could go along to and get some tips.
You won't regret buying the Cali and you will both have lots of lovely memories from your travels in it.

Right ok, again that is really helpful. I'm a bit scared of her tbh but determined to get what I want out of her; to escape and have freedom and independence. I appreciate the tips re the starter kit, I didn't think I would use half of it. I'm going to have a good read of threads and have a go next weekend on the drive. Regarding meets, I would love to go to one but here in the frozen north there's not much in the way of them! Thanks again folks

Hello and welcome from another newbie. We pick our first Cali up on Wednesday. Only two more sleeps!! :)

Welcome and have fun exploring all the great stuff&bits of your fantastic Cali!

Back