Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

We’re also interested to see what people would spec differently. As we’re back in the position of no provisional build week, I think we can make changes to order (just worried if this will impact any potential price protection).

We regret not speccing a tow bar, and would probably ditch the safe box if we can make changes, as I understand it takes up valuable room in the wardrobe, and as everyone knows where it is, it isn’t that safe.
I very much doubt if price protection would be maintained if you make changes.
As far as the safe is concerned you only lose about 6" depth and although California owners might know where it is I very much doubt if the opportunistic car thief does and trying to break into it is very time consuming. Wouldn't be without it.
OEM Towbar can be retrofitted at very little cost especially if adding to your order loses the price protection. The Dealer might be able to do it as a Dealer rather than factory fit option, otherwise PFJones can supply complete OEM kit including wiring loom etc. Just need coding into the electronics of the vehicle.

Apparently it is 2 layer - inside is a lighter colour and has a much higher water column rating .. (7500mm vs 300mm).
View attachment 95289View attachment 95290
Good upgrade. That’ll put the extortionate Brandrup one out of business. Wonder what a retro fit would cost…not that I’ve had any need so far for a second layer. But then I haven’t camped in searing heat or below 0 yet…

I very much doubt if price protection would be maintained if you make changes.
As far as the safe is concerned you only lose about 6" depth and although California owners might know where it is I very much doubt if the opportunistic car thief does and trying to break into it is very time consuming. Wouldn't be without it.
OEM Towbar can be retrofitted at very little cost especially if adding to your order loses the price protection. The Dealer might be able to do it as a Dealer rather than factory fit option, otherwise PFJones can supply complete OEM kit including wiring loom etc. Just need coding into the electronics of the vehicle.
Thank you, I appreciate your reply. The trouble with waiting so long for the van is it’s given us plenty of time to uhmmm and ahhhhh over every option we chose based on the helpful topics we’ve read here.

We would be daft to make changes now and potentially risk any price protection we may have. It’s just frustrating as when we originally ordered the van, we were led to believe we could make changes, but this was before VW started talk of price protection ending.

Clearly, we need to spend more time planning where to go when the van arrives, than worrying about the actual van - especially when the only thing we want to add (tow bar) can be done at a later date.

Sorry, waffling away here - more for my own benefit than anyone reading this haha!

Did you get any response to the question about help if the delays caused any issues..? I haven’t seen the letter either..!
Emailed dealer again this morning and friend also contacted them. Neither of us got a reply.

Giving up now, it comes when it comes.

Will return my existing lease car next month as planned (£1200 to extend for the minimum 3 months, can't justify that) and just do without a vehicle. Accordingly had to cancel European holiday road trip / festival plans for July and August and will now keep my fingers crossed for it arriving before August BH weekend.

Thanks! Not the kind of thing you want to be moving in out and each day then!
We deleted the 5th seat from our order after trying to lift one in the showroom at the club shop. I couldn’t lift it off the shop floor so had no idea how I’d get it in/out of the van without ripping the floor covering. Shame, as we wanted to be able to travel with our 3 grandkids.

We’re also interested to see what people would spec differently. As we’re back in the position of no provisional build week, I think we can make changes to order (just worried if this will impact any potential price protection).

We regret not speccing a tow bar, and would probably ditch the safe box if we can make changes, as I understand it takes up valuable room in the wardrobe, and as everyone knows where it is, it isn’t that safe.
I made a change to my order last month before I had a build week and it didn't affect price protection. I was told there was a risk it would further delay the order and that there was no way of knowing that for sure until the change was committed, but in the end it was fine.
I was also told when I got a build week that I couldn't make further changes without cancelling and replacing the order and that in that case I'd lose price protection.
Don't know if that info helps!

I made a change to my order last month before I had a build week and it didn't affect price protection. I was told there was a risk it would further delay the order and that there was no way of knowing that for sure until the change was committed, but in the end it was fine.
I was also told when I got a build week that I couldn't make further changes without cancelling and replacing the order and that in that case I'd lose price protection.
Don't know if that info helps!
Thank you, yes that’s a great help. Can I be nosey and ask what you changed? Hope your van is with you very soon.

After 13 months finally collected our Ocean from Liverpool, after waiting so long doesnt seem real yet. As far as we can tell no issues at all and over the moon with the Van. For a basic colour Ascot Grey is brilliant, looks totally different in different light.

Really enjoyed the drive home however I would say the suspension is probably my take away slight disappointment it wallows about a bit and a bit crashy on any bump, will think about an upgrade in the future.

For now solar install this weekend and working everything out before our first camping trip next week!! Can’t wait.

After 13 months finally collected our Ocean from Liverpool, after waiting so long doesnt seem real yet. As far as we can tell no issues at all and over the moon with the Van. For a basic colour Ascot Grey is brilliant, looks totally different in different light.

Really enjoyed the drive home however I would say the suspension is probably my take away slight disappointment it wallows about a bit and a bit crashy on any bump, will think about an upgrade in the future.

For now solar install this weekend and working everything out before our first camping trip next week!! Can’t wait.
Agree regarding the suspension. Getting mine swapped out on Friday (knew when ordering the Cali that I would get this changed asap)

I hope the optional strengthened ARB's help to tame this tendency.

Agree regarding the suspension. Getting mine swapped out on Friday (knew when ordering the Cali that I would get this changed asap)
What are you going with B14/16 etc? Where are you getting the work done?

suspension is probably my take away slight disappointment
Yes, for anyone thinking of ordering reading this, I opted for the Dynamic Chassis Control and can recommend it. I use sport mode in town for dinking over speed bumps/round corners/roundabouts and on twisty faster roads/hairpins, normal otherwise, and comfort wafting along motorways. Works very well.
optional strengthened ARB's
These aren't available in the UK, or may well be fitted as standard. I upgraded my MY22 ARB's and regret the cost slightly. When Steve from CRS Performance took the factories off, they were thicker than he was used to. The upgraded ARBs were only maybe 2mm thicker. I think I noticed a difference when heading round the roundabout leaving CRS performance, but with the DCC on Sport I'm sure it wasn't worth £600

Yes, for anyone thinking of ordering reading this, I opted for the Dynamic Chassis Control and can recommend it. I use sport mode in town for dinking over speed bumps/round corners/roundabouts and on twisty faster roads/hairpins, normal otherwise, and comfort wafting along motorways. Works very well.

These aren't available in the UK, or may well be fitted as standard. I upgraded my MY22 ARB's and regret the cost slightly. When Steve from CRS Performance took the factories off, they were thicker than he was used to. The upgraded ARBs were only maybe 2mm thicker. I think I noticed a difference when heading round the roundabout leaving CRS performance, but with the DCC on Sport I'm sure it wasn't worth £600
Around 300 Euro option for the strengthened ARB's. I#ll see how they fair and perhaps upgrade to coilovers down the road. This will be my primary vehicle and plan on keeping it for many years so I don't mind splurging a little to make the Cali more driveable, if warranted. Same for the DSG mapping too.

Thank you, yes that’s a great help. Can I be nosey and ask what you changed? Hope your van is with you very soon.
Sure - it was just the colour, which I changed to metallic paint having spent 10 months umming and ahhing about my decisions. I enquired about adding rear diff lock which I had previously not included which I guess would be more likely to cause a scheduling impact, but alas by the time I got round to that I had a build week and it was too late.
I would suggest you just ask the dealer if your proposed change affects price protection, depending on who it is they should just tell you? Mine has been very responsive and open (Poole Breeze), I hope you have the same experience.

Congratulations on the new van! Are you doing the solar bits yourself or taking it somewhere? I’m near to Liverpool so I’m interested in any installers nearby.

Our Coast is finally here after 10 months - a very exciting day in our household, just christened it by having a picnic on the drive! Can’t wait to start our Cali adventures
c905d0efad3656bf6d241b1a57ac6e8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Coast is finally here after 10 months - a very exciting day in our household, just christened it by having a picnic on the drive! Can’t wait to start our Cali adventures
c905d0efad3656bf6d241b1a57ac6e8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fabulous!! Love the “picnic on the drive” lol.
You going to change your username now then? ;)

Back