Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6 California Awning Sides

P

Paul Roe

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Got my brand new california ocean and i am looking at getting some sides for the awning
in little writing it says "thule"

My question is, does any one have any experience of the thule sides?
how heavy are they ?
how big are they ?
and do they have curtain poles with them ?

and where do you store them when not in use?

I am only looking at sides not the front panel
hope you can help

Got my brand new california ocean and i am looking at getting some sides for the awning

how heavy are they ?
how big are they ?

hope you can help
bump

I think most folk on here get the Comfortz ones. I guess the Thule will be similar but more expensive. We have the full three sides, don't take up much room and are not heavy. Store them in the boot or on top of the rear bed. You can use any combination of 1, 2 or 3 sides. No curtain poles, they zip to the existing supports.

I've learnt not to leave the awning out at night, btw.

I think most folk on here get the Comfortz ones. I guess the Thule will be similar but more expensive. We have the full three sides, don't take up much room and are not heavy. Store them in the boot or on top of the rear bed. You can use any combination of 1, 2 or 3 sides. No curtain poles, they zip to the existing supports.

I've learnt not to leave the awning out at night, btw.

why dont you leave your awning out at night ?

how heavy are they ?
how big are they ?

hope you can help
The Thule rain blocker sides have aluminium location struts that are fitted at the ends of the awning, the sides are fitted into these struts, it results in a braced structure that is larger/stronger than the room sides that rely on the awning frames only. The side struts are composed of two sections that fit happily at the side of rear seat/boot area. The whole system fits into a 64 ltr RUB with a floor mat and all accessories. We are very pleased with them and we also use the front section to complete the room. The shop stocks them, look up the video on YouTube.

The Thule rain blocker sides have aluminium location struts that are fitted at the ends of the awning, the sides are fitted into these struts, it results in a braced structure that is larger/stronger than the room sides that rely on the awning frames only. The side struts are composed of two sections that fit happily at the side of rear seat/boot area. The whole system fits into a 64 ltr RUB with a floor mat and all accessories. We are very pleased with them and we also use the front section to complete the room. The shop stocks them, look up the video on YouTube.

how does the curtain rail attach as there does not appear to be anything to connect it to, and there seems very little room to add anything at the rear end of the awning as the bendy arm thing is bolted right up next to the winding bit (if that makes any sense !)

how does the curtain rail attach as there does not appear to be anything to connect it to, and there seems very little room to add anything at the rear end of the awning as the bendy arm thing is bolted right up next to the winding bit (if that makes any sense !)
A picture tells a thousand words, look at the video. The "curtain rail " location fixings for the VW awning are different but the basic principal is the same.

why dont you leave your awning out at night ?
If it rains the top fills with water and bellies in, I had to get up 3 times one night to empty it! If the sides are not connected you can drop one side so the rain runs off, but you can't get enough drop if the sides are on.

Sound like the Thule is a better system from the above post, more sturdy and a bigger useable area as having the sides on the awning frame loses a lot of space.

If it rains the top fills with water and bellies in, I had to get up 3 times one night to empty it! If the sides are not connected you can drop one side so the rain runs off, but you can't get enough drop if the sides are on.

Sound like the Thule is a better system from the above post, more sturdy and a bigger useable area as having the sides on the awning frame loses a lot of space.
I use a Fiamma curved rafter pro and lower one leg, the awning/Thule side panels survived an epic thunder storm/downpour recently without any problem. Not exactly draft proof but good enough.