Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New to California

C

CaliforniaOnTheRun

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, just about to buy a Cali T5.1. SE. Has anyone got any “must do this” tips? Or essential checks to avoid future problems.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
California On The Run

Hi, just about to buy a Cali T5.1. SE. Has anyone got any “must do this” tips? Or essential checks to avoid future problems.
California On The Run
You could do no better than to download a van collection checklist from the Resources section of the forum. I think it’s for a 6 or 6.1 but a good start. The only wrinkle is you’ll need VIP membership to do this I believe - but that’s £14.99 and comes with shopping discounts from the club shop -5%, and lots of others such as Cotswold Outdoors -15%.

Nice name btw!

You could do no better than to download a van collection checklist from the Resources section of the forum. I think it’s for a 6 or 6.1 but a good start. The only wrinkle is you’ll need VIP membership to do this I believe - but that’s £14.99 and comes with shopping discounts from the club shop -5%, and lots of others such as Cotswold Outdoors -15%.

Nice name btw!
Cheers Hawthorn37, will look at that check list, also just took the VIP road and I haven't got the Cali yet!

Will the Euro5 spec be an issue for you as opposed to Euro6 on most T6's .Creeping ULEZ Zone?

Thanks for your reply, yes will be an issue, will just have to swallow the £12.50 every time I go in, unfortunately a T6 was just too pricey.

Unless there's a magic euro 5 to euro 6 conversion about..

Thanks for your reply, yes will be an issue, will just have to swallow the £12.50 every time I go in, unfortunately a T6 was just too pricey.

Unless there's a magic euro 5 to euro 6 conversion about..
I believe there is BUT tfl don't recognise them surprise - surprise.

a case of how many £12.50 trips you do for expected ownership period against T6 price difference (early T6's were Euro5). Residuals also a factor.

California On The Ru

Are you asking for tips for when you own it? Or tips on what to keep in mind when considering buying a second hand T5.1?

If the latter, then you could ask/check:

- have they experienced any roof corrosion and has this been treated and how? Any warranty still left on this or other major issues that were resolved.

- whether the shunt issue has occured/has been fixed.

- whether both the fridge and diesel heater have been working well / had any issues.

- if the control panel and or control panel knob has been replaced / shown any problems.

- if the electric roof has ever had issues.

- how old the leisure batteries are / when they were last replaced.

- if the bench/downstairs bed slides well and transforms well from bed to bench and back again.

- when the automatic transmission oil has been replaced (assuming it's an 'automatic').

- what accesories come with the van (matress, carpets, safety net, sink basket, emergency roof tie down kit, breakdown kit, isotop, etc.).

Any many more, which you may find when seaching the forums.

California On The Run

Make sure it's not the 180bhp version...

many thanks
Have taken the plunge and purchased a T5.1 140BHP, couldn't resist and seems to be the right version, collecting Saturday, drives like a dream, a few issues to be sorted like water pump not working,

Thanks for the info knusineenvolkswagenbus, not sure what the shunt issue is??

also appreciate the general good feel from this forum, hope mine is a goodn, tested everything i could think of, roof been serviced, seal replaced, no rust seen and works well.

roll on Saturday..

Another Cali owner in Watford. How about bringing it around to show us. I notice that you are a VIP member, so we can arrange it by PM. Enjoy.

Good to hear and a good plan, getting it valeted 1st as needs a spruce up, then need to find out how/if everything works.

PM means within this forum privately I'm guessing?

many thanks
Have taken the plunge and purchased a T5.1 140BHP, couldn't resist and seems to be the right version, collecting Saturday, drives like a dream, a few issues to be sorted like water pump not working,

Thanks for the info knusineenvolkswagenbus, not sure what the shunt issue is??

also appreciate the general good feel from this forum, hope mine is a goodn, tested everything i could think of, roof been serviced, seal replaced, no rust seen and works well.

roll on Saturday..
Shunt issue a problem for pre 2010 vehicles.

Good to hear and a good plan, getting it valeted 1st as needs a spruce up, then need to find out how/if everything works.

PM means within this forum privately I'm guessing?
Yes, PM stands for private message, a facility that's only available to VIP members. Beware I love talking Cali's and having had a T5.1, T 6, and a T 6.1, havex to built up a few tips on what works, but not having at the moment, feel I need a Cali fix.