Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Tyres

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
After 25,000 miles my front tyres needed replacing.

As I have a Bluemotion Beach - I've always had those 'Van Eco' low rolling resistance tyres fitted. I've not bothered with them this time, instead going for a set of reasonable priced if not fabulously expensive 'normal' tyres.

What a difference?

From the day I have had Betty Custard it's always been a bit twitchy at the front - not awful but you notice it at high speed. She's never struggled but it hasn't always felt as surefooted as you like, especially at speeds above 70, which obviously I never do because that would be illegal :)

But with these new tyres she is transformed, I appreciate they are new tyres with full tread but it has changed the handling and feel. Feels much more planted and more surefooted.

It makes me wonder about the 'Van Eco' tyres and how effective they are.

James

James,

It would also be interesting to know, if you can notice any appreciable difference in fuel consumption.

Chris

James said:
i will have to check the make - They are Continentals 215/65 R 16 C -

James

james,

Have to say... I'm a big fan of Continentals. Have them on the Cali and the Bay as well as Helen's car.

I know what you mean about "sure footedness"

Rgds
M

Picked up the Beach and it has the Dunlop SportMaxx tyres. Looking at the tread they don't look like they'll be much use in winter or in a muddy field as there is no real tread pattern - just looks like bands of rubber around the tyre like the F1 tyres of a couple of years ago. What's the general experience with these? I note the concerns over wear.

Also I read the manual on ferry back from collecting it and I see VW recommend changing to winter tyres when temp drops below 7 C (I do have a set) page 320. Why can't VW UK specify all season tyres for the UK where we have a Maritime climate unlike the Continent where you get much more extreme heat and cold and winter tyres are essential?

I see that the maximum tyre size for snow chains is 215/60 R17 which counts out all the tyres fitted to the Thunders and 18" alloys which appear to be 235/55 R17 or larger.

Andy

syrup1971 said:
James,

It would also be interesting to know, if you can notice any appreciable difference in fuel consumption.

Chris

Yes Chris - agree - I don't think they make any difference - but happy to be proved wrong - I have my DIS on setting 2 and I average 37 mpg over a month of mixed driving - if I am doing a long run then it creeps into the 40's.

So I will see how they fair :)

James

Back