Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Brand New VW T6.1 (Pics and Video)

Electronic handbrakes are useless when trying to set off uphill on a slippery surface without wheel spin and potentially getting stuck. Possible but .....
The first Passat I tried with the electric handbrake was a total nightmare in this respect, but my last Passat, 2009 reg also had hillhold assist. This transformed the handbrake practicability delightfully. Cannot believe they would conceive not including hillhold assist!

interesting that VW will be offering an official 'retrofit' to electic!! (according to that chap in the video). that's great news really. It means that we will just be able to swap our engines over in about ten years when we have no choice.

Wouldn't trust an electronic brake to hold a close to 3t vehicle up a slope. Seen to many other standard production cars have their brakes fail.. I know I would put it in first (if I remembered..). Still Not for me in afraid.

The only thing that bugs me about the manual handbrake is having to release it to swivel the drivers seat, I prefer a manual brake but I'm surprised they haven't managed to engineer a way around that.

It looks nice in that colour but i do prefer the proper front bumper of the 5&6 thats all grill ..

Yes, agree.
Not liking the styling at present.
A bit to much chrome on there for my liking too

Nice colour combo.

That is one area that VW could improve on without spending a fortune. The current colour palette is tired and limited to mostly boring drab colours. Come on chaps, let yourselves go? How about something a little more indicative of the free spirited California lifestyle? Just imagine yourselves frollicking and gambolling through fields of glorious wild flowers or driving through breathtaking scenery instead of being stuck in a traffic jam on the way to the office. Come on you can do it, just get the coloured crayons out and have a go. Failing that ask your kids.

Yes, agree.
Not liking the styling at present.
A bit to much chrome on there for my liking too
I think styling takes time to settle in our heads, a friend who works in the industry said designs soften over time through familiarity.

When I first saw the T6 I didnt like it, in fact I thought it looked like a Bongo from behind..

I think styling takes time to settle in our heads, a friend who works in the industry said designs soften over time through familiarity.

When I first saw the T6 I didnt like it, in fact I thought it looked like a Bongo from behind..

I didn’t like the T6 front end to begin with, but always liked the rear.
Perhaps it’s just because I’m an ass man...

I really like the metallic red and silver colour combination, but my financial controller doesn't. Trust VW to cause me problems!

A piece lifted from a German site.
Pics at bottom.

News about Cali 6.1:

Digital Control: new control unit increases comfort on the pitch

The Exterior: newly designed front area sharpen the character of the most successful camper

The Interior: New Handle Handles and decoration for kitchen and cabinets; sliding doors replace blinds in the rear; improved lying comfort

Driving Dynamics: New Electro-Mechanical Power Control allows for use with innovative assistance systems

Volkswagen commercial vehicles will present the new California 6.1 as world premiere at the caravan salon in düsseldorf at the end of August. Charm: the new front game. Well developed: the kitchen line and beds. Digital: the new multifunctional control part in the roof console. Another novelty on board the camper are the optional digital instruments and the next generation's next-generation infotainment systems with an integrated online connection. Redesigned and tailored to the digital world: the instrument board. A new mechanical steering also ensures a plus of safety and comfort, as it allows assistance systems such as the track stop assistant "Lane assist" to move into the series.

He is the favorite campervan of globetrotters all over the world: the California sold more than 175.000 times. Now, based on the sixth generation of bulli, a technical and visually extensive update is coming: the California Ocean 6.1. The first pictures show the top version of the camper with the California Ocean 6.1 Visually particularly distinctive is the new front area. The Upper area of the chromed ocean cooler is a unit with the new led day lights. Below is another large air entry for the efficient engines. A Chrome Bar also refined the new bumper at the California Ocean 6.1 Over The Chrome Elements, the equipment version ocean in the exterior is different from the models beach and coast models. Either way: the reinforced design emphasizes the width of the California 6.1 and leaves all versions of the camper even more sovereign on the road.

California, used in everyday life as a van, has always been convincing with its thoughtful detailed solutions. This includes a compact kitchen line at the coast and ocean. It has now been further developed and equipped with new details such as an additional usb double socket. Striking and practical: New Aluminium Handle Bars in all doors. Also new: Press Keys to open the kitchen surface (Sink, cooker, cooling box). The Blinds in the rear cabinet have been replaced by newly designed sliding doors; the aluminium handle that matches the style of the automotive campers have the same design as their counterparts in the area of the kitchen cabinets. The Noble Wooden Mesh of all cabinets have been redesigned: the brighter " Bright Oak " and the darker " Graphite Grey ". the interior designers have also adapted the new darker seat covers and covers in " Palladium Grey ".

The beds offer even more comfort. In the future, the roof bed will be equipped with spring plates; the two-seater bench can also be transformed into a lounge. Simply turn the bench back and put up the bed extension at the back in different stages - the interior is already transformed into a cosy lounge for reading and relaxing. More protects from too much light, the folding ball of the roof of the roof with the integrated upper bed is now available in a darker grey. A new sunrise function, however, makes waking up particularly pleasant, which with individually Selectable Leds in the roof and living area, consciously slowly and in an adjustable period, up to a desired light. The Sunrise function - like all the essential camper settings of the California 6.1-is controlled via the newly developed control unit in the roof console. Here, the monochrome display is replaced by a large touchscreen with significantly more functions and a colored display. Various information is obtained via the control panel: " camping " (mode), " cooling box ", " Light " and the " setup " of the system. In The California Ocean 6.1, the menu " on-set roof " is also controlled by the " on-set roof " menu, in this case, the standard electric hydraulic operation of the roof and via " Stand heating " the top model is also controlled by the " on-set Very Practical: the new level function. A level display informs about the length and cross angle in which the California is on the pitch. This makes it very easy to set the bulb horizontally. However, the sunrise function is set in the " Light " menu and activated via " alarm

Digitally executed are optional for the first time - the new "Digital cockpit" in the also new instrument board. In addition, the infotainment program has been re-configured. It starts with the " Composition Audio " (line display) and " composition colour " (Touchscreen, 6,5 inch). As a further news, the California 6.1 navigation systems " Discover media " (8,0 inch touchscreen) and " Discover Pro " (9,2 inch) devices of the third generation modular infotainment box (mib3) are also used in the California 6.1 . The most important new feature of all systems is an integrated esim ("Composition Audio" optional). It forms the interface to "Volkswagen we" and thus to numerous online functions and services. The Mib3 Systems also offer features such as the integration of the streaming services " Apple music " and " Tide ", a natural voice operation and " app connect wireless ". thanks to this new version of " app connect " you can iphone apps How the " Media Library " or " Google Maps " will be integrated into the infotainment for the first time via Bluetooth.

The most important technical change on the driving dynamic side is the switch from a hydraulic to an electrical power steering. Due to this now adjustable steering system, the California 6.1 will be launched in Autumn 2019 with numerous new assistance systems. The extended range includes, among other things, the track stop assistant " Lane assist ", the park lenka " Park assist ", a side protection (warns against obstacles) and the " trailer assist " (makes it easier to move with trailer). New and standard on board will also be the side wind assistant; it automatically stabilize the campervan in wind gusts.

Volkswagen commercial vehicles also has the drive program. The standard front and optional all-Wheel-Driven California 6.1 will start with highly efficient 2,0 litre turbodieselmotoren1 (2.0 tdi), all of which meet the exhaust gas standard euro-6 D-temp evap.

Regardless of all the new features of the California 6.1, as always, Volkswagen keeps commercial vehicles on all clever detail solutions that make this camper so unique practical and thus ultimately an icon - such as the camping table integrated in the sliding door and the camping chairs placed in the rear door .

The world premiere of the new California Beach, coast and ocean will take place at the caravan salon in düsseldorf at the end of August.

Photos: VW commercial vehicles

68EFC5F1-0CE5-4EE9-B6C8-86C190DB8BA8.jpeg

DCEB6AB3-FCC2-4E59-9346-C8E168D45189.jpeg

CCB078C9-3CE6-435C-915E-45CD73E36ED8.jpeg

FEEA92E5-B3B7-4149-8829-C79877EFFBCC.jpeg

9DFCF75B-8AC1-43A4-82BE-A553123AE0BF.jpeg

thats fancy! I wonder if the module can double up as a TV for the rear passengers?? :)

Looks to still have a (dodgy) sticky out button, prone to getting head butted or kicked when using the top bed

Those who must have their van 100% flat will love the controller

Looks to still have a (dodgy) sticky out button, prone to getting head butted or kicked when using the top bed
It says Touch Screen so that is probably an Icon to move to another page/menu.

Like the idea of the chaise long. Or at least I think that is what they are showing. I have rigged up a second prop to allow the rear base to be leant on while the bed is made up, for a more comfortable reading position. (I had my orders) but if this is like the RIB bed that will be an improvement.
Looks like sun shade blind? as well as pull down blinds as currently. Like the redesigned rear cupboard sliders. Frees up more space in the cupboard and stops them jamming on things although if something in the ‘wardrobe’ stops the rear slider from opening that will be a right faff to free up from the tailgate!
Was thinking of a bit of wood lino for the floor already.
I prefer it light up stairs as it makes the whole van lighter when the bed is lifted. Don’t much like ours when the wrap is on as it is much darker in the day time.

Certainly 'on trend' with it's pallet wood interior.

That chaise-long looks wonky to me, suggesting perhaps nothing has changed and it's still propped up on one prop.

A friend just send me this link and so I thought I'd share with you all. It an article on Autobild, the German car magazine website.

Enjoy

Looks like some nice little changes.

Sliding doors on the rear cupboard and wardrobe should be less fragile than the tambour doors