Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie from North Yorkshire

californiamatt

californiamatt

Vehicle
Just browsing
I started becoming obsessed with the idea of van life a few months ago when YouTube randomly started suggesting van life channels. I thought I was a Ford Nugget kind of a guy until I saw the California Ocean and completely fell in love.

I have no idea how I'm going to afford to buy one, but I have finally dipped my toe in the water and have booked one to hire for the New Year weekend to see if it really is my kind of thing.

It seems like there's a huge learning curve. Right now I'm engrossed in trip planning. I have the van for three nights / four days. I'm thinking about driving to Edinburgh and back, spending New Year's Eve itself in Edinburgh for Hogmanay.

Having decided that part, I've been looking at camp sites and wondering whether I should join one of the camping / caravan / motorhome clubs. I was hoping there would be an obvious choice, but opinion seems split! My goal this weekend is to make a decision and book the campsites I'll be staying at during then trip. Any advice will be gratefully received!

Hi, welcome! I joined the site yesterday and picked up my 07 reg Cali last week, personally I’m in the Caravan and Motorhome Club only as I’ve used them previously and found the club sites clean and quiet with good facilities.

I started becoming obsessed with the idea of van life a few months ago when YouTube randomly started suggesting van life channels. I thought I was a Ford Nugget kind of a guy until I saw the California Ocean and completely fell in love.

I have no idea how I'm going to afford to buy one, but I have finally dipped my toe in the water and have booked one to hire for the New Year weekend to see if it really is my kind of thing.

It seems like there's a huge learning curve. Right now I'm engrossed in trip planning. I have the van for three nights / four days. I'm thinking about driving to Edinburgh and back, spending New Year's Eve itself in Edinburgh for Hogmanay.

Having decided that part, I've been looking at camp sites and wondering whether I should join one of the camping / caravan / motorhome clubs. I was hoping there would be an obvious choice, but opinion seems split! My goal this weekend is to make a decision and book the campsites I'll be staying at during then trip. Any advice will be gratefully received!
Welcome !

Some advice I’ve followed and given is to start basic and work your way on from there.

For example rent a camper (anything) for the weekend, or a tent, go somewhere / anywhere, and see how it works for you.

A common mistake seems to aim for perfect and / or end of spending time / money in the wrong direction.

Plus you have the benefit of being in a beautiful part of the country !

I can recommend Herding Farm near Haltwhistle, Northumberland as a place to stop on way to or way back. We stayed there last new year and have been there several times since. The facilities are excellent, small site, not far from Hadrian’s wall (walkable) and a pub just up the road.

We are members of the Caravan and Motorhome club, however we often wonder if it’s worth it as we more often than not stay on wee independent sites. OK the membership isn’t high cost and they’re all well maintained etc but if you prefer ‘small’, that they’re not.
A good wee independent to try :
Seaview (Benderloch)
Happy travels and adventures.

It might be a good idea to book early as Edinburgh goes NUTS at that time! This site is open then and had good bus access to the centre (£2 each way). It is independent so you won’t need to join a club.