Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie needs advice!

S

Stuart Garlick

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hey there everyone.
Love the forum! Hoping you guys can help me out with some advice. I'm about to go and see (and hopefully buy) a 2012 (61) Berghaus 180.

Have seen quite a few posts about engine issues on the 2010/11 180s.

I have a couple of questions;
1) Is the 2012 (61) affected by this issue?
2) Is there a way of checking when I look at the vehicle?
3) If it is one the engines with the potential issue, are there any preventative measures I can take?

I really appreciate all your help and look forward to your replies.
Best wishes
Stu
(Bristol)

Thanks Sad,
Feels like a minefield! It does seem to suggest that the problem only continued to mid way through 2011, so fingers crossed I should be ok.
Cheers
Stu

Good luck. :thumb.. Make sure you check everything! The van should be looked after as a van, and all the camping stuff should work. There's a check list in the downloads (if you're a VIP member)

Welcome Stuart

I can not comment on the engine just some general thoughts: Take your time to check the van, download the checkinglists, ask the engine question to the seller and if he’s aware of this possible problem and how he‘s answering your questions could be a hint how he‘s going to handle future issues/problems (BTW private seller or VW Comm. Centre?)
Is there an option to buy a garanty (for example for 6 months)?

Hope all everything turns out to be good and look forward to some pictures of your Berghaus

If you brought the one I think you did (Mike's) I suspect you may have got a cracking deal, £5-6k less than similar advertised on here. :thumb

Welcome Stuart

I can not comment on the engine just some general thoughts: Take your time to check the van, download the checkinglists, ask the engine question to the seller and if he’s aware of this possible problem and how he‘s answering your questions could be a hint how he‘s going to handle future issues/problems (BTW private seller or VW Comm. Centre?)
Is there an option to buy a garanty (for example for 6 months)?

Hope all everything turns out to be good and look forward to some pictures of your Berghaus
sorry I'm new to this and I've only just noticed your reply! so a belated thank you. It was a private seller. I bought the van after doing lots of checking. Now very excited to get camping.... in comfort.

If you brought the one I think you did (Mike's) I suspect you may have got a cracking deal, £5-6k less than similar advertised on here. :thumb
Yes it was Mikes, and a lovely chap he was too. very forthcoming with the tea and rock cakes and the van is immaculate!

Sounds great, enjoy! :welcome

Back