Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie! Part conversion t5 61 plate buy advice

D

dyslexicwinker

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi guys!

Newbie so be gentle. Have been looking at ve transporter for a while and a friend is selling theirs and we have opportunity to buy.

It is part converted 61 plate 140ps panel van with 90k

The windows have been done professionally with self sound proofing and insulation although I know it will have been done right they’ve done can also. titan r&r bed with certification. Driveway alpro awning. Service history is varied as their mate did servicing so this is slight concern.

Will be looking at adding pop top and then probably a pull out kitchen to rear.

Am finding comparative vans grr to find and am just starting out.

Could anyone advise on approx. price as there seems to be no rhyme or reason to them? Also how much to bring up to full conversion and what potential worth could be? Realise this is a lot but any help appreciated. It’s not a money thing more about a lifestyle with the children we’d enjoy but also don’t want to throw money away!

Any help in what to look for when viewing. Have seen about flywheel, steering column etc.

Thanks.

DS

:welcomeDW, (I can’t spell your full forum name;))

90k for a 140 2011 / 12 is low miles (I sold my 2011 with 140k + miles, had no issues other than routine maintenance) sold in 2018 for about 11k from memory.

look for: in addition to what you have mentioned : I’ll presume it’s a manual with tailgate:
regular oil & filter changes (yearly) with correct oil
Cam belt & water pump being done
Presume manual gearbox: Clutch / dual mass flywheel - check for clutch judder, noises etc when pulling away and when driving, selecting gears etc.
Sliding door operates as it should (no drop / catching etc)
All weather seals, doors, tailgate, wheel arch etc.
Bodywork straight, sills etc (get underneath and check for damage / rust)
Roof no damage, rust etc
Suspension can be getting to the end of its life at 90k miles
Windscreen no chips/ cracks
under bonnet clean, no oil residue etc ( get underneath and check the engine and gearbox for leaks / residue),
check dip stick and filler cap for Mayonnaise type residue and colour of oil, particularly if you’re told it’s had a recent oil change.
if floor has been boarded out already be very careful, some converters screw ply through the floor pan which introduces all sorts of potential issues in the future. (Ask for photos etc) it should have had wooden blocks bonded to the floor pan recesses to allow the ply floor to be screwed to the wood blocks without screws damaging the floor pan.
hidden fixings to interior panels ? VW push in studs or screws ( screws not good)
lights presumably H4’s absolutely Diabolical, upgraded bulbs help improve the candle lights
Check Mot history on line for previous advisories etc and mileage tallies up with service history.
rear wiper motor works (if fitted)
signs of leaks from the high level break light (tell tale water marks inside the tailgate.
Check tailgate alignment, closing and no damage / repairs
Check both front door gaps all around , no signs of door sag, damage to sill from doors catching etc.
DIY electrics Use your judgment

cost of pop tops vary significantly starting at about 2.5k upwards

full conversion cost depends on how much you are willing to do yourself and what you want the finished spec of the van will look like when it’s finished.

have a look at the T5 /T4 forum for more specifics

that should keep you busy for a while.

:welcomeDW, (I can’t spell your full forum name;))

90k for a 140 2011 / 12 is low miles (I sold my 2011 with 140k + miles, had no issues other than routine maintenance) sold in 2018 for about 11k from memory.

look for: in addition to what you have mentioned : I’ll presume it’s a manual with tailgate:
regular oil & filter changes (yearly) with correct oil
Cam belt & water pump being done
Presume manual gearbox: Clutch / dual mass flywheel - check for clutch judder, noises etc when pulling away and when driving, selecting gears etc.
Sliding door operates as it should (no drop / catching etc)
All weather seals, doors, tailgate, wheel arch etc.
Bodywork straight, sills etc (get underneath and check for damage / rust)
Roof no damage, rust etc
Suspension can be getting to the end of its life at 90k miles
Windscreen no chips/ cracks
under bonnet clean, no oil residue etc ( get underneath and check the engine and gearbox for leaks / residue),
check dip stick and filler cap for Mayonnaise type residue and colour of oil, particularly if you’re told it’s had a recent oil change.
if floor has been boarded out already be very careful, some converters screw ply through the floor pan which introduces all sorts of potential issues in the future. (Ask for photos etc) it should have had wooden blocks bonded to the floor pan recesses to allow the ply floor to be screwed to the wood blocks without screws damaging the floor pan.
hidden fixings to interior panels ? VW push in studs or screws ( screws not good)
lights presumably H4’s absolutely Diabolical, upgraded bulbs help improve the candle lights
Check Mot history on line for previous advisories etc and mileage tallies up with service history.
rear wiper motor works (if fitted)
signs of leaks from the high level break light (tell tale water marks inside the tailgate.
Check tailgate alignment, closing and no damage / repairs
Check both front door gaps all around , no signs of door sag, damage to sill from doors catching etc.
DIY electrics Use your judgment

cost of pop tops vary significantly starting at about 2.5k upwards

full conversion cost depends on how much you are willing to do yourself and what you want the finished spec of the van will look like when it’s finished.

have a look at the T5 /T4 forum for more specifics

that should keep you busy for a while.
Has already found the T5/T4 forum.

Thanks so much. Going to test drive and look around at weekend. Seems pretty straight but good to know about flooring. I’ve built my own houses and done refurbs (am certainly no tradesman!) and reckon I’ve done a better job (no offence) than most trades due to how anal I am (doesn’t mean I get things right) about things and how much info I’d gather before committing to doing anything and gather this would be the same. Seller was similar so guess they’d have done things right but will definitely check with a fine tooth comb

Thanks so much. Going to test drive and look around at weekend. Seems pretty straight but good to know about flooring. I’ve built my own houses and done refurbs (am certainly no tradesman!) and reckon I’ve done a better job (no offence) than most trades due to how anal I am (doesn’t mean I get things right) about things and how much info I’d gather before committing to doing anything and gather this would be the same. Seller was similar so guess they’d have done things right but will definitely check with a fine tooth comb
Just a point you may or may not know.
The VW California has sound deadening fitted but No Insulation behind the internal trim.