Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie Numpty News

Not putting a slope on the awning during a rainstorm and coming back to it collapsed and full of water.
Amazingly it was okay.

Second numpty newbie thing:

Took out the shelves in the back cupboard to cut non-slip matting. Putting them back in and 2 of the shelf holding clips popped off. One conveniently dropped onto the gas compartment lid, the other dropped down into the gap around the water tank, doh. When the shelves aren’t pushing against them they’re a little loose and very “pingy”. So, I removed all of them and put double sided tape (not sticky pads) on the back of them, including the little knob. Now they fit tighter and are stuck on.

Can’t see the one I lost and it’ll drive me nuts if it starts rattling around when on the move. So tomorrow will put some sticky tape on the end of some wire, or a long knitting needle, to see if I can find/get it. If that doesn’t work I’ll try fixing some thin tubing to the vacuum cleaner.

It’s a right pain in the bum, so would recommend checking to see if yours easily come off and if so, sticking them on.
No luck finding the little devil so used a plastic/metal command hook. It’s slim enough to fit, has a ridge to hold the shelf in place and a hook for the water tank key that hangs unobtrusively under the shelf. Had one in my “spare” bits and bobs. Result!

2A26A25C-21AA-40FC-A118-7C84A8BDC7B7.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgot to put the upper bed down before closing the electronic pop top. Luckily no damage, but did make my heart miss a beat!

No luck finding the little devil so used a plastic/metal command hook. It’s slim enough to fit, has a ridge to hold the shelf in place and a hook for the water tank key that hangs unobtrusively under the shelf. Had one in my “spare” bits and bobs. Result!

View attachment 41388
I wonder if @Bigted could 3D print you one?

While having some time to kill to explore our new Cali while doing teenager ferrying duty I just managed to break the catch for one of the sliding windows by pulling too hard while seeing how to open it. Feel like such a muppet. Sorry for hurting you Snoopy!
Time to stop at the local dealer tomorrow and see if they can do a miracle cheap and rapid replacement part. Think maybe I should stop believing in miracles.....

You can get replacements, the forum shop do packs of 10 for just under £20.

Or another suplier who we can't name but rhymes with Scamper Tan Drastic do packs of 4 for about £6.

https://bit.ly/2tqe5Md

View attachment 41388

View attachment 41388
I have done the same with the rear cupboard shelf clips. Plan to do it to the kitchen shelves but as usual haven't got round to it.

Original shelf clips are available in a packet of 4 from your dealer. Not expensive as I recall.

Alan

I once shut my tailgate on the awning winding handle that was hanging out of the winder. Caused a small dent. Always remove the awning winder people.

Hi.... I’ve just purchased a California Ocean so I’m a newbie & I’d like some advice on storing Plates, etc to avoid them rattling around... any suggestions would be appreciated

Hi.... I’ve just purchased a California Ocean so I’m a newbie & I’d like some advice on storing Plates, etc to avoid them rattling around... any suggestions would be appreciated

We just use non-slip mats on each shelf and then put the stack of plates and bowls on that. We don't find anything moves around very much with that.

The club shop sells the matting: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/non-slip-mating-shevelve

We do carry a couple of real glass wine glasses (hate plastic ones) so those we keep in a suitably sized plastic box with a bit of foam rubber to stop them clinking.

Other than that, stuff rattling isn't usually a problem but on a really really bad road you can always turn the radio up.

;)

Thanks.... I have some of that matting as I used to have an Autotrail Mohican, that actually had a plate rack inside the cupboard but I used to use the matting to stop other things rattling, just like you suggested. Unfortunately after the death of my husband 5years ago I had to sell it as she was far to big for me to handle.

Hence me buying the Cali as I missed it so much & I just wanted to get back on the road again. Obviously I can’t fit as much in so I’m trying to be extremely practical.... I went to the Camping & Caravan Show at the NEC yesterday & managed to picked up a few accessories.

We use non slip shelving liners plus the plates we purchased....Royal Doulton Melamine plates from John Lewis also comes with an elastic band type thing that holds the plates together for storage.

Obviously I can’t fit as much in so I’m trying to be extremely practical.....

To me that's the joy of a Cali, you just don't have room for unnecessary dunnage. Just the basic life support items, ie a bottle opener and a chair to sit in and watch the sun go down.

We use non slip shelving liners plus the plates we purchased....Royal Doulton Melamine plates from John Lewis also comes with an elastic band type thing that holds the plates together for storage.
Wow that sounds brilliant, will check it out. Thanks

To me that's the joy of a Cali, you just don't have room for unnecessary dunnage. Just the basic life support items, ie a bottle opener and a chair to sit in and watch the sun go down.
You’re right.... there were so many unwanted items in our last one! To keep to the basics is just perfect... I can’t wait to get her on the road & meet up with my friends in the Lake District.... They still have their Autotrails so I’ll be baby of the pack!

Luv it!

Great post!

Went for a moonlit walk leaving the heater on for our return. Wondered why it was still freezing when returning later and discovered the drivers window was fully open. :sad

Now turn off the music when reversing as backed into a flower pot and put a chip in my bumper the size of a twenty pence piece. :mute

Hamish is only two months old....

:Iamsorry

Returning from Brighton this weekend. A sign I had left hanging on the window was clattering around so stopped at Pease Pottage services. Parked, got out, opened sliding door and removed aluminium step, got into van, removed offending sign, shut sliding door, got back into van, into reverse watching the camera and crunch! Managed to drag the step under the van. What a noise!! Had to pull forward to release very mangled step. What a muppet. No damage to van thankfully. Then sat in the M23 roadworks for an hour with plenty of time to dwell on my idiocy :(

1.) Not realising who much i would actually love this machine and there fore look with great apprehension when my kids get into it (as they are scruffy and break things). I thought i could be a relaxed and chilled Dad but Ive turned into Gollum from Lord of the Rings as it really has turned into "my precious"
2.) Not putting the table back in the door properly so it fell out and got jammed in the gap when opening the sliding door
3.) Not checking the actual height of a cali so when we turned up at a car park with a barrier of 2.1m, holding everyone up pannicking as my wife guided me in. I can now confirm, 2.1m was more thsn high enough.
4.) Getting excited and eating a pizza with the kids in the Cali then realising we need wipes, forks, knives, paper plates and of course seat covers.
View attachment 41134
that has made me laugh out loud. First night away tonight. Can I make the messy little people sleep outside?

So far, I haven't let anyone else drive it! In public car parks, while it fits a standard space, I always look for one on the end so I can leave a larger gap between me and the next car.
I let my girlfriend drive it. She’s American and had little experience of driving a ‘stick shift’ her driving was slow enough and erratic enough, she was reported to the police by more than one person as a potential drunk driver.