Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice for newbie

D

DAW

VIP Member
Having just acquired my first ever California (2011 140ps) I am looking for some advice. The van will be used infrequently, only for family weekend trips and motor racing events so probably every other weekend from April onwards and less frequently before then. It will be parked on the drive and be exposed to the elements. Wondered what the tips are for looking after it. Is it best to keep it connected to the mains? Do I need to worry about damp/condensation building up inside the van? Is it best to keep blinds closed/open? Water tank, waste tank, gas bottle advice? Anything else?
Apologies for numpty question but want to make sure it's well cared for whilst not in use.

Hi DAW, welcome to the forum. You will get plenty of advice in here.... and for starters I'd say...use it more often. That will be the best way to keep it free from the things you are concerned about.
Have a look around the various topics in here and you will see that the best practice eminates from the Cali being used. It may be false economy to keep it off the road.
Iain

Ours is only used at weekends etc we just make sure during winter to take out instead of one of the cars every couple of weeks or so. Reference batteries apparently it's advisable to charge for 24 hrs plus every month or so, also make sure to drain water tanks if winter so they don't freeze.

Mark

ours is used for weekends only and other than brake disks rusting up a little, it does not seem to have suffered.