Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to open Electrical hook up cover

B

Brianandjoy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Another stupid question from a newbie,how do you open the external cover for the electrical supply for a 1016 California,the manual says push down and lift up but nothing happens and I don’t want to force it.Will this charge the engine battery too
Thanks Brian

just pull it from the bottom upwards it click in . the van battery will recieve a few amps when on hook up
to keep it topped up but will not charge a flat van battery.

It's hinged at the top and clips/unclips at the bottom but can be a bit of a nail-breaker to open. There's no catch as such, just a push-fit. You can pull on it quite firmly at the bottom until it springs open or I guess even use a coin or a screwdriver.

When you've unhooked the power cable after a stop-over, make sure the cover is clicked firmly back in place or you'll have the cover gently waving at you in your mirror for the next 50 miles.

Thanks Ive managed it ,decided to charge the engine battery with a battery charger ,that’s scary for a first timer as there are warnings on the terminals,I take it it’s straight +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve on the charger.

Thanks Ive managed it ,decided to charge the engine battery with a battery charger ,that’s scary for a first timer as there are warnings on the terminals,I take it it’s straight +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve on the charger.
I presume the 1016 California was a mistype. If that is the case just plugging the California into the Mains will charge both the Leisure and Engine Batteries simultaneously, although the Engine Battery only receives a trickle charge by design. The built in charger cannot charge a Dead Engine Battery.

Yes I meant 2016,I don’t think there were any California’s prior to the Norman Conquest,thanks for all the help

Yes I meant 2016,I don’t think there were any California’s prior to the Norman Conquest,thanks for all the help
If your California was 2006 or prior then the Mains Charger does not charge the Engine Battery.
As your details do not show which vehicle you have all I had was your mistype 1016 which could have been 2016 or 2006 so I had to take a guess. It does help if you have the correct details of vehicle.

Our Cali is plugged into mains permanently,when in the garage,is this ok?

I presume the 1016 California was a mistype. If that is the case just plugging the California into the Mains will charge both the Leisure and Engine Batteries simultaneously, although the Engine Battery only receives a trickle charge by design. The built in charger cannot charge a Dead Engine Battery.
Is that the same for a T5 2014 model please?

Back