150 or 204 T6, what are we driving?

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,

Our T5 180 SE is having the roof repair carried out at the moment via Heritage Bristol. We have been given a T6 Cali for 2 to 3 weeks. Having driven it to Cornwall for the weekend, I am unsure if we are driving the 150 or 204

Any idea what to look for to determine the engine type, the brakes are the way to spot a T5 180 from a 140 but not sure on a T6.

Thanks,

Look forward to your response.

Andrew.

If it has TDI on back 150 red I 204 red DI or look in the service book.

Thanks, but all three letters are red, what does that mean?

the 140 was red I andthe 180 was red DI so thought it would be the same our 150 has just the red I looking at the picture of a 204 for sale it has 3 red letters

All three are red on my 4Motion 204

Mike

I've just got a 150DSG. The dealer lent me a 204dsg 4motion caravelle recently. I bet that's lighter than an ocean and it certainly pulls away from the lights and corners a bit better than my Cali; however it's not a massive difference and I'm still quite happy with my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a loan 180 when our 140 was in for repair and could hardly tell the difference, I actually checked it on the DVLA site just to confirm it was a 180.
All the chatter about finding it difficult to set off without spinning the front wheels confirms to me that alot of people either have shoes made of lead or they need some tuition in throttle/clutch control!!

We had a loan 180 when our 140 was in for repair and could hardly tell the difference, I actually checked it on the DVLA site just to confirm it was a 180.
All the chatter about finding it difficult to set off without spinning the front wheels confirms to me that alot of people either have shoes made of lead or they need some tuition in throttle/clutch control!!
:Iamsorry can't agree with that assessment at all. If you drive the 180/204 like a 140/150 then you wouldn't notice much difference, but if you drive the 180/204 as it can be driven then you would notice the difference. Wheel spin has got nothing to do with it. Transferring the torque produced by the engine to the road wheels produces friction wear in the clutch or the wheel if you rev the engine. More revs with the 140/150 to overcome the vehicle weight with torque hence more clutch wear. If you don't get it right with either engine then wheel spin results, unless of course you have 4Motion.:D:thumb:Stig

3 red letters, definitely not 4 motion and looking in the service book it mentions 150. The engine feels great, I thought it must be a 204 but maybe not. What do you think?IMG_1214.JPG IMG_1212.JPG

:Iamsorry can't agree with that assessment at all. If you drive the 180/204 like a 140/150 then you wouldn't notice much difference, but if you drive the 180/204 as it can be driven then you would notice the difference. Wheel spin has got nothing to do with it. Transferring the torque produced by the engine to the road wheels produces friction wear in the clutch or the wheel if you rev the engine. More revs with the 140/150 to overcome the vehicle weight with torque hence more clutch wear. If you don't get it right with either engine then wheel spin results, unless of course you have 4Motion.:D:thumb:Stig

I'll defer to your greater knowledge. I'll confess to not understanding what you mean, but I gave that 204 Caravelle "the beans" and the novelty soon wore off- it didn't seem like night and day. I haven't driven my 150dsg Cali much yet (well, 800 miles in three weekends ;) but my point was that I do not regret my choice of engine (150/2wd).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll defer to your greater knowledge. I'll confess to not understanding what you mean, but I gave that 204 Caravelle "the beans" and the novelty soon wore off- it didn't seem like night and day. I haven't driven my 150dsg Cali much yet (well, 800 miles in three weekends ;) but my point was that I do not regret my choice of engine (150/2wd).

If this T6 is a 150 and it was ours, I would have no regrets, it drives lovely.

Nor should you.:thumb

3 red letters, definitely not 4 motion and looking in the service book it mentions 150. The engine feels great, I thought it must be a 204 but maybe not. What do you think?View attachment 20303 View attachment 20302

3 red letters, definitely not 4 motion and looking in the service book it mentions 150. The engine feels great, I thought it must be a 204 but maybe not. What do you think?View attachment 20303 View attachment 20302

They have a cubic capacity of 1,968 cm3 and 110 kW / 150 PS or 150 kW / 204 PS.

Not sure if this helps at all but when I bought my Cali (a 204 DSG) I asked the dealer what the difference between the engines was, if only from a servicing cost point of view.

He told me that the servicing for both is identical in cost, as they are the same engine. The only difference is that the 204 has a bigger turbo...

Mine has 3 red letters (TDI) by the way.

Not sure if this helps at all but when I bought my Cali (a 204 DSG) I asked the dealer what the difference between the engines was, if only from a servicing cost point of view.

He told me that the servicing for both is identical in cost, as they are the same engine. The only difference is that the 204 has a bigger turbo...

Mine has 3 red letters (TDI) by the way.

Time to find a new dealer then, one engine has two turbos the other just one. its the second turbo and the plumbing for it that gets in the way & makes access more difficult on the 204 and 180.

Time to find a new dealer then, one engine has two turbos the other just one. its the second turbo and the plumbing for it that gets in the way & makes access more difficult on the 204 and 180.
:agreed but I think the basic servicing costs are similar if not the same, oil, filters etc: but repairs can be more expensive e.g.: EGR replacement on the 180/204 requires removal of front bumper and grills as well as intercooler and radiator being moved to get access, hence more expensive.:thumb

Thanks for all your comments, looks like it's a 204 then. I must admit, whilst it is definitely quieter and smoother than our 180, I thought I would feel more from the the additional 24bhp.

Lovely Cali and would love the quieter more fuel efficient engine, but this is all let down a bit by the age old knocks and rattles that plagues bits and pieces of the same interior.

Despite the above comments, I still might consider one when a 3 year old T6 is available and the prices are a bit more in our league.

Love the ocean stickers as well, so might just get some of those for now!!

Thanks again,

Andrew.

I think of our 204 4MOTION as a 204 HP
VW refer to it 204 PS. (well infact on the invoice for our new Cali they still referred to 204 PS has 199 PS)
The log book, (DVLA) says it's a150KW.
So if DVLA want it to be referred to in KW's, why don't VW use KW's ?
Or perhaps now that we are an independent island nation again, like in the good old days, we could return to BHP.

I think of our 204 4MOTION as a 204 HP
VW refer to it 204 PS. (well infact on the invoice for our new Cali they still referred to 204 PS has 199 PS)
The log book, (DVLA) says it's a150KW.
So if DVLA want it to be referred to in KW's, why don't VW use KW's ?
they do, this is my build label
1622042852760.png

they do, this is my build label
View attachment 79115
I'm talking about on the VW sales side. The brochure refers to the different models as being either a 150PS or a 204PS. I doubt whether you will hear a the salesman calling them 110 or 150kw. Once you actually get your vehicle, yes l agree, you might find a sticky label with the build details on. Infact, a sticky label I'd prefer that they removed before I took delivery of the vehicle, instead of leaving it to me to remove.

I'm talking about on the VW sales side. The brochure refers to the different models as being either a 150PS or a 204PS. I doubt whether you will hear a the salesman calling them 110 or 150kw. Once you actually get your vehicle, yes l agree, you might find a sticky label with the build details on. Infact, a sticky label I'd prefer that they removed before I took delivery of the vehicle, instead of leaving it to me to remove.
That sticky label is not to be removed.

There is 1 label in the car, and one in your leaflet.
If you lose your leaflet, you still have all the PR-numbers of your vehicle. Otherwise, you will need to have a dealer to find out what PR-numbers you vehicle has.

Back