Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T6 Ocean 204 PS vs 150 PS?

R

rrollins

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi

I recently test drove a new VW California T6 Ocean 204 PS DSG for a few days in Suffolk and was relatively fully laden with wife, 2 kids, dog and kit. We loved it although quickly realized, you do need the tent awning.

Whilst I was impressed with the power of the twin turbo, I had envisaged myself buying the 150 PS unit and don't really want to pay the extra.

Is the 150 PS DSG unit more than capable in terms of power when fully laden in hilly areas?

Should imagine it will be adequate but not as enjoyable!

But I'm a petrolhead so commonsense goes out the window :D

Welcome to the forum :thumb

Have the T6 150 Ocean manual - Done over 1000 miles now. 150 more than enough for us even with 2 young kids, packed up with kit and 4 bikes on the back!. Sure the 204 might be a nicer drive but you'll have fun what ever you choose! (Guess it depends on your budget!) :)

I have the T6 150 Ocean manual also - Done almost 1000 miles.

A month ago I went skiing, almost 1000 metres up on very windy roads to get to the resort, the 150 coped perfectly, although the changing up and down constantly on the hairpins is a pain!

Last week week we went to Germany and found ourselves on one of the still unrestricted motorways. Accelerated up through 5th and joined the motorway and then into 6th. The Cali is so quiet and I was chatting to my partner, pulled out to overtake a slower car, continue chatting, checking dials every minute or so, 120kph, 130, 140, ooo this is easy, 150, 160, ok remember it's new! I eased off at around 165kph (100mph-ish) I was still under 3000 revs, and the Cali was raring to go.

In short, I really don't see why I would need a 204 when I can do this already :)

I have the T6 150 Ocean manual also - Done almost 1000 miles.

A month ago I went skiing, almost 1000 metres up on very windy roads to get to the resort, the 150 coped perfectly, although the changing up and down constantly on the hairpins is a pain!

Last week week we went to Germany and found ourselves on one of the still unrestricted motorways. Accelerated up through 5th and joined the motorway and then into 6th. The Cali is so quiet and I was chatting to my partner, pulled out to overtake a slower car, continue chatting, checking dials every minute or so, 120kph, 130, 140, ooo this is easy, 150, 160, ok remember it's new! I eased off at around 165kph (100mph-ish) I was still under 3000 revs, and the Cali was raring to go.

In short, I really don't see why I would need a 204 when I can do this already :)
Thanks - you just explained the difference between the 150 and 204. It's all down to the Torque and where it is maximised on the engine rev curve.;)

How come Welshy, cause I don't really don't see how the 204 could have been better in either situation (except maybe a bit better acceleration)

Hi

I recently test drove a new VW California T6 Ocean 204 PS DSG for a few days in Suffolk and was relatively fully laden with wife, 2 kids, dog and kit. We loved it although quickly realized, you do need the tent awning.

Whilst I was impressed with the power of the twin turbo, I had envisaged myself buying the 150 PS unit and don't really want to pay the extra.

Is the 150 PS DSG unit more than capable in terms of power when fully laden in hilly areas?

Morning.
Not an expert. Here is an extract from auto express on T6 California .
May help ?

"But actually, pound-for-pound it’s the 100bhp engine that’s the most impressive, because Volkswagen has tuned it in the spirit of the old Pumpe Duse diesels from the Mk IV Golf era, concentrating all the torque in a thin band near the bottom of the rev range, so there’s instant, flexible pickup.

On that basis the 201bhp engine doesn’t feel twice as powerful, although there’s no denying its turn of pace. As ever, though, the middling 148bhp diesel is the best overall, superbly subdued at lower revs, far punchier than its 14.2-second 0-62mph sprint suggests, and silkily smooth – for a diesel, anyway. All California models are available with a seven-speed DSG automatic, while the two higher-powered engines can be specified with 4Motion four-wheel drive."

We've ordered the 150 .

How come Welshy, cause I don't really don't see how the 204 could have been better in either situation (except maybe a bit better acceleration)
Exactly. On A roads and minor roads and in the mountains then the torque allows better acceleration so able to proceed at a pace equivalent to others, on Motorways/Autoroutes both can travel at high speed but the one can get there quicker and stay in high gears even on hills etc: Both can do the job but the 204 does it with less hassle but less economy - maybe!
Depends what sort of driver you are and want to be. Your choice.:thumb

I guess the dsg will lower the impression of power so a 150 manual feels like the 204 with dsg at my test drives.

I guess the dsg will lower the impression of power so a 150 manual feels like the 204 with dsg at my test drives.
Not in Sports Mode or Manual. Possibly in Normal Drive mode as that is set for Economy.

The 150 will be fine but gear changes are frequent when not on the motorway. In hindsight wished I had managed to find some more bits of paper with the queens head on to buy the DSG 150. Don't get me wrong it isn't slow for a van and remember it's faster than a caravan! ;)

Of course (and it's your choice to tinker with a vehicle under warranty) there are an increasing number of non-intrusive (plug in) engine chips that will give you, on average, 10% better economy and 20% more power, taking the 150 PS up to 180PS and a similar torque to the 204PS. Combine this with the DSG and I'm confident the only place you'd notice the difference was in your pocket.

I'm tempted when my T6 150PS DSG Beach arrives. As I said, just plugs in and unplugs for servicing. You'd be taking a gamble not letting your insurance company know though!

First of all it is 450Nm almost from the start. :D:D
I'm get used to petrol engines that you have to push down accelerator hard and have to get rid of that habit now.
You get the feeling that vehicle might stand on 2 rear wheels when you start aggressively.
And I didn't push the accelerator completely down even once yet. :)
But on higher speed autobahns going over 140-150 km/h it is a magic feeling ;)
I am now sure I could have been fine with 150hp for the Beach and 2 of us. But there is a possibility I might tow something over 2 tons in the future, so won't hurt I hope.
Consumption is a bit worrying at the moment :) So far 9,5l/100km average but we didn't do long trips yet so am sure it will drop to 8-9. But 4motion is eating a lot of fuel as well.

Why did we go for 204hp?
- Dealer was assuring it might arrive faster. I am happy I trusted him on that part with delivery below 3 month.
- I liked how alive that engine was on test drives
- towing possibility as mentioned.
- discount was soo good that we weren't jumping over the initial budget.
- tested T5 SE with 180hp and already felt a bit lazy on power.

P.S. funny how DSG keeps revs around 1200rpm in calm driving ;)

I have rattled up nearly 8000 miles since end of Jan in a T6 150 manual Beach - including a 2500 mile 7 night spin to South France over Easter - it cruises at 95 without sounding strained, is lively enough and torquey enough around town, and am getting 39 mpg overall - the mpg has gone 34 to 36 to 39 as the miles have gone on - getting through 10 litres of adblue each 3500 miles - not used any oil at all.

i feel like a bloke who's been run over by a steam train - chuffed to bits ......

I rented a SE 140 Manual last year and took it to Austria. On the way out we were fully loaded (possibly over loaded :Nailbiting ) with 4 adults and all my daughter's gear for a year at Uni. On the way back it was just Mrs DM and I and a small amount of personal luggage.

The 140 was certainly capable and the 150 is more powerful than that. However, I decided to shell out for the 204 DSG because:
i) the 140 was a little sluggish on long hills on the German autobahns when fully laden
ii) the manual gearbox was hard work in queuing traffic on the motorway (of which we experienced many hours :mad:). It needed to go into 1st on any hill when crawling.

That said - our journey home was a dream. The 150 does have more poke than the 140 and I'm sure I would get used to driving whatever I have and would unconciously adapt over time.

If you can afford the 204 DSG then buy it. If you can't (or prefer to spend your pennies elsewhere) then buy what you are comfortable with and enjoy it.

Last edited:
My only problem with the 150 is that I want both 4 motion and DSG and it does not appear to be an option.

My only problem with the 150 is that I want both 4 motion and DSG and it does not appear to be an option.
That was our problem too. It was just too expensive to get the 204. DSG vs 4Motion, that's another debate! 150 DSG seems great so far.

I rented a SE 140 Manual last year and took it to Austria. On the way out we were fully loaded (possibly over loaded :Nailbiting ) with 4 adults and all my daughter's gear for a year at Uni. On the way back it was just Mrs DM and I and a small amount of personal luggage.

The 140 was certainly capable and the 150 is more powerful than that. However, I decided to shell out for the 204 DSG because:
i) the 140 was a little sluggish on long hills on the German autobahns when fully laden
ii) the manual gearbox was hard work in queuing traffic on the motorway (of which we experienced many hours :mad:). It needed to go into 1st on any hill when crawling.

That said - our journey home was a dream. The 150 does have more poke than the 140 and I'm sure I would get used to driving whatever I have and would unconciously adapt over time.

If you can afford the 204 DSG then buy it. If you can't (or prefer to spend your pennies elsewhere) then buy what you are comfortable with and enjoy it.
You mention possible overloading but the 140 manual is allowed to carry 122kg more than the 204 dsg so bigger engine doesn't always mean more pulling power, can mean a lot less payload.

You mention possible overloading but the 140 manual is allowed to carry 122kg more than the 204 dsg so bigger engine doesn't always mean more pulling power, can mean a lot less payload.
I agree the larger engine means a lower payload but disagree that it doesn't mean more pulling power. If both vehicles are loaded to their respective MGW then the 204 will definitely have a higher power to weight ratio.

• Agree
Reactions: DM
I agree the larger engine means a lower payload but disagree that it doesn't mean more pulling power. If both vehicles are loaded to their respective MGW then the 204 will definitely have a higher power to weight ratio.
Yes, you're right, I worded it incorrectly. I meant if you found the 140 sluggish, possibly overloaded then the 204 with the same load is not the answer and could mean you are really overloaded, be careful.

Well I discussed the smaller vs. the larger motor with my sales rep. I was really on the fence. What sold me on the smaller motor was that it reacts faster as the turbocharger for the 200hp motor reacts a bit sluggish until it kicks in. I drive electric otherwise so am used to instantaneous torque -:)
We purchased the smaller motor and are very happy with it driving through the al-s fully loaded with dogs and mushing equipment, sometimes also a trailer. Couldn't be happier!

Back