Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Nice sites in Cornwall/Devon with beach access

J

jerrythegerman

VIP Member
Hello, prob been asked before but were looking for a nice place to stay over and around the Jubilee weekend/week.

I'm coming to the current end of my contract (mid may) and I cant see me getting a new one before our big holiday in end of june.

Thought we might grab a week in the camper down that way.

We have a 2 year old and therefore sandy beaches and rock pools are a high priority and if I can grab a few waves with the body board (too flat for the surf board that late in the season usually!!), that would fine. (Yes I am a goat boater too!!)

Near shop and somewhere to cycle too and a few things to do before the schools kick out and it becomes a chav fest!!

Am I being too picky??!!!

Any suggestion's, pic's? cost's?

Prefer to hear it from like minded than read it in a site book!!

Gwithian Farm....full details on their website.....friendly and accommodating.

Thanks for that, will look them up and intrested in any views.

Anyone been to Porth Beach?

Looks nice on the photos!!

Not a snob and dont mind paying for a nice site, just its my holidays (as are anyones) are limited and special to me/us and cant be doing with nutters who just ruin my day!!

Maybe I'm asking too much.

Or I'm getting old and misreble!!

I drove through Porth a couple of times over this weekend.

For me its too close to Newquay, but having never stayed there not really in a position to comment. There looked like there were 3 or 4 campervans (possibly Cali's?) camping as I drove down the hill, but a little to far off to see for sure. The campsite is certainly accessable to the beach, and its central.

Try a little further north and you'll find the beach, I posted under photo's. Great rock pools, further out of the way and looked like there was a campsite above it. Constantine around the corner and so good for surf if there is any.

Stayed at Porth Beach for 2 nights in September. Beach is definitely close and sandy. It is tidal - a loooong walk down the beach to the surf when the tide is out! Site is in a steep sided valley - you might need to push a bike up a pretty steep hill before you can actually get anywhere! Don't remember a shop at/near site - pub + restaurant immediately outside site (can't vouch for either as didn't use). Site is flat and open. It was ok as a short stop over, not sure I'd recommend it for a week long stay (site ok but not much within walking distance other than beach). Newquay is walk able - whether that is a good thing is for you to decide!

Porth is, how shall I put it, a little bit naff and tacky despite the nice beach.

My recommendations would be"

Treen campsite a bit beyond Penzance (so a long way down) - short walk to the beach, nice pub nearby, on-site shop, good basic facilities, simply stunning scenery, near the Minack Theatre:

http://www.treenfarmcampsite.co.uk

Gwithian Farm as above - near the Red River pub (although it's for sale and things have slipped a wee bit IMO), near Godrevy cafe. Bit limited on shop options for milk, etc though.

Now this one is a bit Marmite and is in Polzeath, N Cornwall but it has one of the best sea views of any campsite - downsides are borderline Gestapo levels of "warning" signs, slightly comical costs and the on-site restaurant, while very nice, is an Indian! Shops, pubs, etc nearby and I worked there as a kid when it was a surf shop!

http://www.polzeathcamping.co.uk/tristram.htm

And the final one is a bit of a trek to anywhere but the location is fantastic with a bit of a walk down to a simply stunning beach, Gwenvor. This is a long way down but the clearest water in Cornwall!

http://www.trevedrafarm.co.uk/

KernowLad, are you saying Gwithian Farm camp is for sale ? , Thatched cottage as well ?

BerndRos said:
KernowLad, are you saying Gwithian Farm camp is for sale ? , Thatched cottage as well ?

Badly written again - oops! I mean The Red River pub!

Thanks all, looking like options but may struggle to swallow some of the cost's. Still if that's what does the trick, who am I to question.

£40 a night peek season is a bit steep but I suppose if you get the bookings anyway, they will keep the prices.

Booked into Lobbsfield camping site near Saunton Sands, Croyde, Devon for the Jubilee week. Excellent location with good facilities, including the wetsuit show. Fourth visit to this site for my surfing kicks.