Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Night heater and fumes

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm looking at buying a new Cali SE having rented for 4 days last month. It was cold enough to have the heater on, but because we were camping we left the side door open to be a bit closer to nature! ;) We suffered with diesel fumes coming into the van from the heater exhaust and I have seen the same problem mentioned on the forum too especially for people use a drive away awning.

I was wondering if you could attach a flexible pipe of some sort when in camp mode to run the fumes underneath, along the ground to the other side of the van. Then, when it is time to pack-up you could just lift off the pipe. What do you think? Is there a technical / safety reason why this shouldn't be done?

Don't leave the door open is surely the answer? I personally would not want to mess with the exhaust. If you want some air, open the window on opposite side if van?

Yes the simple solution is usually best Spanner ;) .

I wasn't clear that I was more concerned about our hope of leaving the diesel heater on overnight when using a drive-away awning. I wouldn't want to mess with the heater too much but I wondered whether a simple removable camp pipe hanging on the exhaust might vent the fumes away from the awning.

acer said:

I wasn't clear that I was more concerned about our hope of leaving the diesel heater on overnight when using a drive-away awning. I wouldn't want to mess with the heater too much but I wondered whether a simple removable camp pipe hanging on the exhaust might vent the fumes away from the awning.

There is a thread on this subject somewhere. Apparently there is a max length of 2 metres for the exhaust pipe so I would not want to add to it.

acer said:

If it was cold enough to be using the diesel heater in the van, would you still be having people sleeping out in the awning without heating? The heater won't heat the awning well and you have the danger of fumes.

Your idea about leaving the heater on and the side door open to be closer to nature may not be such a great idea - try the West Coast of Scotland in July / Aug. To be honest would you put the heating on at home and leave the doors and windows open?

Andy

I would certainly avoid attaching hoses to exhaust pipes. You never what other vents there are and problems it could cause.

Back