VW Diesel Heater Fumes in Cab ?

Kitesurfer

Kitesurfer

kitesurfer
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi All

i have only attempted to use the built in diesel heater a couple of times, but even with the sliding door shut - all windows closed, we seam to get a whiff of diesel fumes into the cab when i start the heater.?

Is this normal or do i need to get this checked out by VW :?:

Terry

I trust that you have a CO detector?

I get a bit of a whiff on start up, but that is all, once running, nothing.

I think I remember the smell being worse when the van was new as well...

thanks for the replies, sounds like. it needs a good running in.

No i have not got a CO detector, i will get one before giving the heater a good try out.

thanks GrannyJen & Teeboy :D

I mentioned my "whiff" to the dealers and after explaining that "my whiff" was the heater and not me being away for days without a shower they did confirm it was normal.

Mine also has got less with age .... wish that I could say the same about my weight :cry:

I have a CO detector but this whiff still puts me off using the heater :(

Our van few months old, we do get a slight 'whiff' from the heater on start up but it soon goes and seems to be getting less, we do have CO detector and so far no emergencies ;)

Depends on the wind , if roof is open ,....
But you always detect a smell nothing to worry , just keep sliding door shut at the time the heather egnite/starts turning

The Diesel heater works on the principle of a heat exchanger. Heating air taken from inside the vehicle and blowing it back in. The unit takes fresh air from outside for combustion and exhausts outside. On startup, especially when new you might smell some exhaust fumes if a window/door is open or roof up via the roof vents depending on the wind direction. The Diesel heater puts out very,very minimal CO in the exhaust, almost too little to measure when running at temperature. The CO alarm is more for the gas burners because they can burn inefficiently, usually with a yellow flame, and produce CO due to incomplete combustion.
The internal heater is so well made and constructed that unless it is in tip top condition it fails to work.

The exhaust for the heater is pointing directly down to the ground underneath the center line of the van around the driving seat area. If any of your doors are open the fumes will drift in if the wind is in the right direction.

Nothing to worry about as the heater only uses a small amount of diesel, so the fumes will disperse very quickly.

Alan

Diesel heater fumes, sounds like we all suffer the same problem. Mine is more when I turn it off. Just one of the many things I have to get used to.

I think the whiff may be to do with two things
1) new parts getting hot, improves a little with time and regular use.
2) the fuel priming process when initial switch on, unburnt / partially burnt fuel (not at operating temperature) being vented via the exhaust.
Perversely I don’t mind the whiff

Back