Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Night Heater noise

Isn't it interesting how some folks find it annoying and some don't - personally I have it switch on 1 over night and it actually sends me off to sleep - but a ticking clock drives me crazy! :headbang

If it's really noisy then it's mounted wrongly OR the fuel pipe(s) are pressing on the underside of the floor transmitting the sound into the van. I've fitted three in 'self builds' using the VW fitting location and those are the only problems I have ever had. If the pump is fixed on its proper rubber mounting and the pipes are fitted correctly you should hardly hear the pump inside the van.

Rod

It was really noisy and constant. The only time I couldn't hear it was when the fan kicked in periodically. I can't stand the noise so will be trying it without the heater for the next leg of the trip in Cornwall tomorrow. It was like tortute, tap, tap bloody tap!

That's not right so needs checking out.

Thanks. Will see what it's like tomorrow night then get it back to garage if it doesn't sound like it's right

I've had a hydraulic lift put on for my wheelchair so wonder if, as exhaust is moved and smaller fuel tank put in, that has affected it

It was really noisy and constant. The only time I couldn't hear it was when the fan kicked in periodically. I can't stand the noise so will be trying it without the heater for the next leg of the trip in Cornwall tomorrow. It was like tortute, tap, tap bloody tap!

I am wondering what you are hearing as the pump should not be clicking (pumping) before the fan starts to run.

Rod

I am wondering what you are hearing as the pump should not be clicking (pumping) before the fan starts to run.

Rod

Depends how high you set the heater , the higher the more diesel it needs , the more the pump needs to work....

It's a constant tapping noise that only stops when the heater is turned off. Literally sounds like a louder version of the indicator, in fact that's what my son thought it was!

The heater was on 2 or 3 I think, not high

We never have the heater on at night, even on its lowest setting, we just get too hot despite the frost. We have the Duvalay sleeping bags with summer duvets fitted.

Another candidate for thread resurrection.
I used the remote to switch on the heater this morning and all seemed well, 30 seconds of green blips on the remote, no distress signals. However, looking outside, I did not see the usual start up exhaust, so went to investigate. There was a loud, slow, clicking noise coming from the heater area under the van and after about thirty seconds, some smoke/steam, indicating ignition, The heater fan began working and the general noise level rose, including the clicking noise, which increased in frequency as the heater warmed up. All seems well at the minute with the clicking running at about 300 cycles/minute. When I have run the heater in the past, I have never heard any clicking, or at least, not been conscious of it.
Having found this thread, I am reasonably happy that all is well, but wonder what caused the delayed start up today. The temperature is hovering around zero, but that shouldn't matter. I wondered if maybe it's because I've still got summer diesel?

Another candidate for thread resurrection.
I used the remote to switch on the heater this morning and all seemed well, 30 seconds of green blips on the remote, no distress signals. However, looking outside, I did not see the usual start up exhaust, so went to investigate. There was a loud, slow, clicking noise coming from the heater area under the van and after about thirty seconds, some smoke/steam, indicating ignition, The heater fan began working and the general noise level rose, including the clicking noise, which increased in frequency as the heater warmed up. All seems well at the minute with the clicking running at about 300 cycles/minute. When I have run the heater in the past, I have never heard any clicking, or at least, not been conscious of it.
Having found this thread, I am reasonably happy that all is well, but wonder what caused the delayed start up today. The temperature is hovering around zero, but that shouldn't matter. I wondered if maybe it's because I've still got summer diesel?
It could be that the sub zero temperature required longer heating from the glow plug for ignition to take place, or a lower current supplied from the very cold leisure battery taking longer for the glow plug to initiate ignition?

I would guess that the lower temperature has something to do with it. As a glow plug is involved, some delay can be expected. It seems to be working fine now, it's just the delayed start up surprised me.
I guess if I had operated the remote to an icy car park from the top of a fell I would never know that this sort of thing happened.

Back