Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Night time locking / vibrating / buzz / click.

Calfi

Calfi

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi all have had a New Beach Camper for a year now (21) and have have had 5 or so weeks away and various trips. One thing that I can not seem to find any info or thread on is at night sometimes the van makes a locking / vibration noise every 2 or 3 mins and the child lock flashes whilst doing this ? Have just come back from a week away and it didn’t do it at all until the last night and could not for the life of me figure how to turn it off. I opened the driver door locked and re-locked and it still did it , then opened and closed sliding door and in end left sliding door slightly open.

I guess this is something to do with the locking whilst being in the van maybe ?

Has anyone else experienced this or know what it is or how to easily resolve this when it does it?

Many thanks !

Sounds to me that a door with a power soft close (side door or boot) is being prevented from fully closing, and keeps trying. I’d check for anything like a mat or similar giving a door resistance to close all the way. Can you hear where the noise is coming from?

I get the same thing on my 2021 Coast, it's a couple of clicks followed by a whirr, it only happens on mine when the van has a door open and is unlocked, once all doors are closed and locked It doesn't seem to happen

Hi. This happens on my Ocean all the time. Exactly the same noise and the child lock button flashes. It’s driving me mad! It’s currently in the garage to investigate why it does it but they’re saying that no faults are showing and they’re drawing a blank… they’ve escalated to the Vw technical dept but I don’t hold out much hope. I will of course update the forum if they find out what it is. The thing is, we camp in really quiet campsites and tend to just sit and chat in the evenings so there’s no noise pollution (TVs etc) and so I hear it EVERY time it does it!! I’ve found a few others who have the same problem so you’re not alone.

Hi all thanks for the replies. Lucy that sounds just the same as we get strange thing is it doesn’t do it all the time. Only did it on first night of a weekend away and then on the last night of a week trip. To stop it I seem to have to do a combination of opening / closing doors unlocking and locking . However when trying to get to sleep and it starts doing it and kids asleep upstairs is annoying! I tried to replicate it to do it in the daytime on our drive and sure enough I couldn’t get it to do it ! I think it must be something to do with being in camping mode , driver door opening or closing and side door open / close and something to do with the locking / alarm sensors. As there is like a click then the vibrating flashing noise from the child lock light……we are off on a 2 week trip in July so if I get any resolution to how to easily turn it off I will report back as not knowing how to easily switch off is the annoying bit ! Or why it does it would be good to know ! Let us know if you find anything else out Thanks!

Hi all thanks for the replies. Lucy that sounds just the same as we get strange thing is it doesn’t do it all the time. Only did it on first night of a weekend away and then on the last night of a week trip. To stop it I seem to have to do a combination of opening / closing doors unlocking and locking . However when trying to get to sleep and it starts doing it and kids asleep upstairs is annoying! I tried to replicate it to do it in the daytime on our drive and sure enough I couldn’t get it to do it ! I think it must be something to do with being in camping mode , driver door opening or closing and side door open / close and something to do with the locking / alarm sensors. As there is like a click then the vibrating flashing noise from the child lock light……we are off on a 2 week trip in July so if I get any resolution to how to easily turn it off I will report back as not knowing how to easily switch off is the annoying bit ! Or why it does it would be good to know ! Let us know if you find anything else out Thanks!
Random interjection here, but is the night heater in play when you have the problem? Reason I ask is that when camping with our heater on, I have noticed a small noise about 30secs before the heater cuts in on the thermostat and have noticed that the lock button flash at the same time. Don't get me wrong, we don't have the constant annoying whirring that you report, but wondered if that was why you are not recreating it when not camping? Just a thought and hope you get things sorted.

Random interjection here, but is the night heater in play when you have the problem? Reason I ask is that when camping with our heater on, I have noticed a small noise about 30secs before the heater cuts in on the thermostat and have noticed that the lock button flash at the same time. Don't get me wrong, we don't have the constant annoying whirring that you report, but wondered if that was why you are not recreating it when not camping? Just a thought and hope you get things sorted.
The night heater can aggravate the noise but last weekend the noise was present all weekend and we didn’t put the heater on at all. In order to recreate the noise at the garage I put the heater on for 1 minute and then switched it off. But I was there for over an hour and the noise was still going off every couple of minutes. Basically I think the noise is a bona fide noise that occurs when you open doors/put heater on etc but something is causing it to do it throughout the night/day when nothing is switched on. But they don’t know what causes it. Ours has only done this since it went for a factory recall for the SOS button. And it is intermittent - occasionally we’re blessed with a silent van!

We have NO heater in our Beach so nothing to do with the heater with us , ours has only really been noticed at night when in the van going to bed and silence we tend to be in awning otherwise so could be happening when not in the van. When it starts it does it’s cycle click,buzz , flash and then stops again for 2-3 mins ….as said does not happen all the time am sure it is something to do with the locking / sensor etc ! Be interesting to know if anyone else has had this and if they know reason for it ! Or if a bug/fault ?

Hi. This happens on my Ocean all the time. Exactly the same noise and the child lock button flashes. It’s driving me mad! It’s currently in the garage to investigate why it does it but they’re saying that no faults are showing and they’re drawing a blank… they’ve escalated to the Vw technical dept but I don’t hold out much hope. I will of course update the forum if they find out what it is. The thing is, we camp in really quiet campsites and tend to just sit and chat in the evenings so there’s no noise pollution (TVs etc) and so I hear it EVERY time it does it!! I’ve found a few others who have the same problem so you’re not alone.
Hi Lucy out of interest did you hear any more on this from the VW Tech dept as to what it might be ?

Hi Lucy out of interest did you hear any more on this from the VW Tech dept as to what it might be ?
Morning. Unfortunately my garage were a little useless to say the least. They couldn’t hear the noise as the workshop was too noisy so then I went over there and got them to put the van somewhere quiet and then they heard the noise. Long story short VW technical said it’s a normal noise. Which I agree with - it probably is a normal noise but it’s not happening at normal times. Mine sometimes goes off every few minutes throughout the night. It’s driving me crazy. I’m really disappointed and not sure where to go with this. I’m considering taking it to a different garage. I’ve done some research on the Transporter forum and I’m going to ask about the fuel pump primer to be checked. It’s meant to kick in when you only open the driver’s door but I wonder if the side door wakes it up too as I’ve heard it after opening that door and then it happens intermittently afterwards. I’m clutching at straws though…sorry I haven’t got a better answer.

Morning. Unfortunately my garage were a little useless to say the least. They couldn’t hear the noise as the workshop was too noisy so then I went over there and got them to put the van somewhere quiet and then they heard the noise. Long story short VW technical said it’s a normal noise. Which I agree with - it probably is a normal noise but it’s not happening at normal times. Mine sometimes goes off every few minutes throughout the night. It’s driving me crazy. I’m really disappointed and not sure where to go with this. I’m considering taking it to a different garage. I’ve done some research on the Transporter forum and I’m going to ask about the fuel pump primer to be checked. It’s meant to kick in when you only open the driver’s door but I wonder if the side door wakes it up too as I’ve heard it after opening that door and then it happens intermittently afterwards. I’m clutching at straws though…sorry I haven’t got a better answer.
Shot in the dark, but you can programme other features such the interior lights, and door open warning bleaper (when ignition is on) to either the drivers door only, or all doors (including the side door). The standard set up is for all doors. You can change this using a Carista OBD2 module. I can’t see how the lights or door warning alarm could be linked to fuel pump priming, but it may be worth a try. I changed the door open buzzer as my No.1 job, because it drove us mad when setting up on a campsite. If you haven’t got one, the module is about £25 and comes with 1 months subscription which you can then cancel.

Shot in the dark, but you can programme other features such the interior lights, and door open warning bleaper (when ignition is on) to either the drivers door only, or all doors (including the side door). The standard set up is for all doors. You can change this using a Carista OBD2 module. I can’t see how the lights or door warning alarm could be linked to fuel pump priming, but it may be worth a try. I changed the door open buzzer as my No.1 job, because it drove us mad when setting up on a campsite. If you haven’t got one, the module is about £25 and comes with 1 months subscription which you can then cancel.
Thank you so much for this information. I’ll have to pass it onto the OH as I’m a bit of a technophobe and would worry plugging anything into the van for fear of pressing something wrong! But that is so helpful of you to pass the info on. I fear the noise is a glitch that only a few of us suffer with…. Is the Carista easy to use? Can I wipe the whole operating system by mistake?! Would it affect my warranty if I use it do you know? (Sorry for all the questions!) Lucy

Thanks Lucy for the update and interesting to know that could be the fuel pump primer kicking in but strange that then related to the child lock flashing but does make sense to main driver door ….will see what it does when we go away for 2 weeks soon again and if any pattern !

Thank you so much for this information. I’ll have to pass it onto the OH as I’m a bit of a technophobe and would worry plugging anything into the van for fear of pressing something wrong! But that is so helpful of you to pass the info on. I fear the noise is a glitch that only a few of us suffer with…. Is the Carista easy to use? Can I wipe the whole operating system by mistake?! Would it affect my warranty if I use it do you know? (Sorry for all the questions!) Lucy
Carista is very easy to use. It will only allow you to do certain things. You cannot wipe the system. Warranty unaffected.

As @WelshGas says, it’s quite simple to use, and the vehicle will not allow you to tinker with critical features. The cost is around £25, you can buy direct from Carista or through Amazon. Once you have it, scan the QR code on the device box to load the app on your pad (can use a phone but a pad is better). You’ll need to set up a subscription, but this can be cancelled once you’re done with adjusting the settings (It should come with a free 1 months subscription). Just remember to cancel a couple of days ahead of renewal.

The plug in point is below the dash near the steering wheel, and you need to raise your bonnet lid for some bizarre reason, but there’s nothing to do in the engine bay. The device then scans your car data (takes ages), then you can look through the pages of settings in different categories. You’d be looking for door opening / lights / warnings. But at this point, if you message out to the forum, I’m sure there will be folks who can help further (I let my subscription lapse as I don’t have a current need).

California Time posted a video about Carista, I’ll look it up for you.

As @WelshGas says, it’s quite simple to use, and the vehicle will not allow you to tinker with critical features. The cost is around £25, you can buy direct from Carista or through Amazon. Once you have it, scan the QR code on the device box to load the app on your pad (can use a phone but a pad is better). You’ll need to set up a subscription, but this can be cancelled once you’re done with adjusting the settings (It should come with a free 1 months subscription). Just remember to cancel a couple of days ahead of renewal.

The plug in point is below the dash near the steering wheel, and you need to raise your bonnet lid for some bizarre reason, but there’s nothing to do in the engine bay. The device then scans your car data (takes ages), then you can look through the pages of settings in different categories. You’d be looking for door opening / lights / warnings. But at this point, if you message out to the forum, I’m sure there will be folks who can help further (I let my subscription lapse as I don’t have a current need).

California Time posted a video about Carista, I’ll look it up for you.
Thank you so much - that is so kind of you to spend the time explaining it - I really do appreciate it. Thank you! I’ve watched the video and it looks very easy and just ordered on Amazon for £24.99.

Last edited:
We currently have this issue in our 71 coast. Every 2 mins the child lock flashes and the fuel pump primer whirrs. Did you get a resolution? Would love to know if/how you solved it.

Thanks

Alas I’m still waiting for a miracle and no resolution has been found. Some vans do it and some don’t it seems but if you’re one of the unlucky ones it’s very annoying!
We currently have this issue in our 71 coast. Every 2 mins the child lock flashes and the fuel pump primer whirrs. Did you get a resolution? Would love to know if/how you solved it.

Thanks

Alas I’m still waiting for a miracle and no resolution has been found. Some vans do it and some don’t it seems but if you’re one of the unlucky ones it’s very annoying!
Aarrggghh!!
Thanks for getting back. Ear plugs it is then. If I make any progress I’ll let you know.

Really annoying, otherwise completely love my van.

Aarrggghh!!
Thanks for getting back. Ear plugs it is then. If I make any progress I’ll let you know.

Really annoying, otherwise completely love my van.
Couldn’t agree more. I love my van other than this annoying noise. I think we’re just the unlucky ones. I keep thinking someone will find a fix but my dealership didn’t take it seriously at all.

Couldn’t agree more. I love my van other than this annoying noise. I think we’re just the unlucky ones. I keep thinking someone will find a fix but my dealership didn’t take it seriously at all.
I also think that the more people that take their vans to the dealership with this problem means that VW will start to take the problem more seriously. To date there are many many people that have this problem but I believe I am the only one that’s tried to lock horns with VW about it. Please please take it up with your dealership and get them to escalate it to VW Technical at HQ… us poor sods with the problem might get further towards a solution then…!

Have noticed this in our 21 Coast. The first time it happened I opened and closed the tailgate and thought that fixed it. Last weekend it happened again but i think it stopped by itself after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back