Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No Cali's allowed !

We've just been looking at a new development and knowing what may happen I showed the sales lady a photo of our Cali, and she said there should be no problem.

Maybe the answer would be to have a paint job something like this

View attachment 16879

Although I would prefer a Ferrari on mine!:D

Interested to see how this is resolved.

Would love to park that here! Thanks for your thoughts but we are weary at this stage and sad

Thank you all for your support here. But having spoken to our solicitor, it doesn't look like these people are very nice and it would probably go to court. We have someone in the family with a newly diagnosed illness and so don't want to go there. We are heartbroken but have decided to sell our beloved Jack Burns. He comes with only 3500 miles on him, as new and with many extras. We had advertised him over the summer but 2 of the people who replied and who we replied to: their emails came back as 'mailer returned'. We are open to offers

Once again thank you all for your support not just now but over the time we have had Jack; never belonged to a forum before but it was so reassuring to know you were there, we always had an answer within minutes!

Emer & Hugh

This is so very very wrong.
Such a shame that you feel no option but to sell Jack and also your home.
I understand that sometimes you have to walk away and the stress involved is just not worth it. We had an issue with our house (parish council took it upon themselves to put a skateboard facility in the nearby park) and fighting it actually made me ill.
There will be another happier place to live and another Cali in the future.
Keep posting on this forum though won't you?

Yes we are putting the house back on the market but it can take months if not years to sell a house in a village like this in Northern Ireland; we don't want to lock Jack up in a shed in the interim, it wouldn't be practical for us either
You wouldn't need to sell your Cali as you can now just ignore the complaint and simply respond to any complaint saying your intention is to move to solve the issue.

We recently moved into a new house and the developer has told us that we cannot park our beloved VW California SE on the driveway as it might encourage 'white vans' and they don't want that. Unbelievable. Our solicitor has written to inform them that it is classified as a 'diesel car' on the road tax book. They replied that it is a campervan on the VW website. Can anyone help us here please?

Your solicitor could be to blame here! They should have brought the covenant to your notice before you signed any contract. I am presuming you brought the California with you when you moved?
Developers place covenants on new builds to control use of land and development on it. And yes you can understand why they might not want a white caravan on a driveway when they are trying to sell their lovely new houses. Sometimes there are also planning conditions set by the local council to control vehicle/caravan parking on private property. That is different to a covenant.
They can touch you if the Cali is parked on a public road! Not that it's ideal.

point 5 would seem to be at odds with your opening line?
(I agree with pt. 5 btw)

My cul-de-sac has covenants in place for vans, boats, campervans, sheds and even fences in the front gardens. All of these are ignored.

Chances are the covenants are time restricted and has lapsed. e.g. my location where they applied for 5 years.
Your solicitor could be to blame here! They should have brought the covenant to your notice before you signed any contract. I am presuming you brought the California with you when you moved?
Developers place covenants on new builds to control use of land and development on it. And yes you can understand why they might not want a white caravan on a driveway when they are trying to sell their lovely new houses. Sometimes there are also planning conditions set by the local council to control vehicle/caravan parking on private property. That is different to a covenant.
They can touch you if the Cali is parked on a public road! Not that it's ideal.

Would be interested to see wording of covenant?

We recently moved into a new house and the developer has told us that we cannot park our beloved VW California SE on the driveway as it might encourage 'white vans' and they don't want that. Unbelievable. Our solicitor has written to inform them that it is classified as a 'diesel car' on the road tax book. They replied that it is a campervan on the VW website. Can anyone help us here please?

Your Cali is classified as a car with 4 seats. It's no different to a 4x4.

We used to live in an estate with similar wording. Are you sure it doesn't specify sign written vans.

I'd park it and let them take you to court. A Cali is way better than a rust eaten banger.

I have a "no van, no caravans" covenant on my house in common with every other house on the estate. It still does not prevent the estate at times looking like a rather well laid out campsite.

Two observations: If the covenant was in the title when you bought the property then why was you not made aware of it by the person that you pay to look after your interests, and even if there is one then let them try to prove it applies rather than you challenging them.

Personally I am gutted for you. You have been badly let down somewhere along the chain and now find yourself in a horrible position through nothing else than buying a house in good faith. I hope it all resolves in your favour soon.

Unkess
Unless it is stipulated in the documents you signed when buying the property - they have no jurisdiction. Unless it is further condoned by the Council or they can point to previous legislation, they have no jurisdiction. What conditions did you sign to observe. Ask theme to define van. Both exterior and interior. If you have NOT signed to conditions, park it and let THEM point to breakage of law. This would have had to had Council approval.

Back