No driveway at the moment - Van vandalised

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,

After picking up our California on Saturday, we are over the moon with it and want to get it off the road ASAP, however, it is going to take a few months to convert the front garden as we are not going for simple block paving and things need to be designed carefully.

I wanted to insure with Comfort but they will not insure the Cali if left on the road so does anyone have any suggestions for insurance companies which allow overnight on the road?

Many thanks,

Andrew.

Re: No driveway at the moment, van vandalised.

Safeguard provided us with our first Cali insurance policy and I am amazed at the price. £315 with Cali parked on the road with full European AA cover. We have just got back from France and Spain in our old T5 California-ish and paid nearly £100 for 2 weeks breakdown cover!

Bad news, the new California is parked out the front of the house until we get the driveway done! Whilst leaving for work this morning I noticed our Old T5 California-ish has been keyed all down one side in the night, looks like at least £750 worth of work to fix :headbang

It could of easily been the new Cali as it was parked next to it, I will be moving it to a friends garage until the driveway work is complete.

Total utter mindless jealous people out there :censor

Andrew.

Gutted for you mate like you say jelousy I would cut their f#$+#$ hands off

Re: No driveway at the moment, van vandalised.

Ajspicer said:
Safeguard provided us with our first Cali insurance policy and I am amazed at the price. £315 with Cali parked on the road with full European AA cover. We have just got back from France and Spain in our old T5 California-ish and paid nearly £100 for 2 weeks breakdown cover!

Bad news, the new California is parked out the front of the house until we get the driveway done! Whilst leaving for work this morning I noticed our Old T5 California-ish has been keyed all down one side in the night, looks like at least £750 worth of work to fix :headbang

It could of easily been the new Cali as it was parked next to it, I will be moving it to a friends garage until the driveway work is complete.

Total utter mindless jealous people out there :censor

Andrew.

OMG, I know this is an old post, but I have just purchased a new Cali, and I should be getting it next weekend. Mine will also be kept on the street, really freaked out now!! May I ask which town/city you live in? I live in a small town in Herefordshire, hopefully this kind of thing wont happen where I live. I feel terrified now! :sad

dod4luce said:
OMG, I know this is an old post, but I have just purchased a new Cali, and I should be getting it next weekend. Mine will also be kept on the street, really freaked out now!! May I ask which town/city you live in? I live in a small town in Herefordshire, hopefully this kind of thing wont happen where I live. I feel terrified now! :sad

I'm not the OP, but just to say 'don't worry!'
2 years into my ownership now, parked on a narrow oneway street in Leicester and no problems (yet). Have to admit that before buying, I'd already decided not to be too precious about the Cali - having lost 3 wing mirrors in 12 months on a previous car, I had resigned myself to some minor damage along the way, so at the moment I'm winning (and I love my folding wing mirrors!)

Steve

Hi dod4luce - we've parked our Cali on the street since new (4 years in September). We too live in a small town (Kendal) - in Cumbria. It's a pretty quiet street too. We've had no vandalism so far. Not to say I don't fret sometimes, but just thought a note on our experience might provide a bit of reassurance. Should also say we've had one instance of another vehicle scraping along the side of the van whilst parked up, but I don't consider that too bad an average. Of course I would love to be able to keep it off the road!

Cheers

Ian

swigle said:
dod4luce said:

I'm not the OP, but just to say 'don't worry!'
2 years into my ownership now, parked on a narrow oneway street in Leicester and no problems (yet). Have to admit that before buying, I'd already decided not to be too precious about the Cali - having lost 3 wing mirrors in 12 months on a previous car, I had resigned myself to some minor damage along the way, so at the moment I'm winning (and I love my folding wing mirrors!)

Steve
Thanks for that Steve, settles my nerves a little bit. Yes my wing mirrors were trashed in my car, but they didnt fold, so perhaps that problem wont arise with the Cali.

IanE said:
Hi dod4luce - we've parked our Cali on the street since new (4 years in September). We too live in a small town (Kendal) - in Cumbria. It's a pretty quiet street too. We've had no vandalism so far. Not to say I don't fret sometimes, but just thought a note on our experience might provide a bit of reassurance. Should also say we've had one instance of another vehicle scraping along the side of the van whilst parked up, but I don't consider that too bad an average. Of course I would love to be able to keep it off the road!

Cheers

Ian
Thanks Ian, I guess if I get too paranoid I wont enjoy the experience. Might find myself sleeping in it and guarding it with my life! ha ha. Im sure in time I will become less concerned. Thanks for your reply :)

Our 2013 sand colour T5 cali lives in the centre of Amsterdam (NL) and enjoys a canal view. Our feeling is that if you can't bare the thought of a scratch or two you should perhaps reconsider ownership! After all, it is an object to be used and enjoyed! Ours has survived its first half year very well: after all to most people the cali looks like just any old plumber van. Enjoy!

I don't mind the odd scratch if its from my doing, maybe driving on a narrow Devon lane where hedges are bound to come into contact. Just don't like the thought of some idiot doing something nasty or as I experienced with my car, a truck passing through which decided to spill some of its load of paint on my car. Emulsion paint, which luckily came off with some effort! When something is new, it's natural to worry a little. Probably Netherlands has less car crime than the UK I would imagine with statistics. But I am not going to let worry ruin the experience. Going to enjoy it, and already am! :D :D :D

We park on the road and use narrow Devon lanes, naturally, we thought, if it is going to scratch, that's where it's going to happen.

No...

We go to Morrisons -shop - come out, a red VW Pass-tw*t has driven off and in the process put a big scratch down the door...

I guess what I am saying, it could happen anywhere, nothing wrong in being cautious, but try not to fret.

James

Thanks, I found insurance for 290 which isnt a bad deal. VW came up at 900 which I thought was a bit steep!

I spent most of my years in Devon. Lived in Newton Abbot for 20 years, often go back there, always call Devon home. Yes the narrow devon lanes are part of Devons charm. Not liking you story about the tw*t who scratched your van though. I guess its the luck of the draw. Im not going into panic mode. Will ruin the fun of owning it. I'll just be as careful as I can be, and go with the flow. Thanks all. :D :D

Hi
We pick up our new California on Tuesday…very excited.
It will be kept on the road too…which insurance company did you end up using ?

Thanks

I didn't in the end, I cracked on and built the new home for the Cali but gave myself a hernia in the process!

Back