Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No one will insure import the other side of The Channel.

Is the saving enough to justify the hassle? I like buying from a dealer who will maintain and look after my vehicle and that relationship will not happen with an import. That said we travel several hundred miles to our chosen dealer to get that level of service.
Once Vw have sold a car, they don´t care which Vw garage you take it to.

Is the saving enough to justify the hassle? I like buying from a dealer who will maintain and look after my vehicle and that relationship will not happen with an import. That said we travel several hundred miles to our chosen dealer to get that level of service.

I imported a Land Rover Freelander from Holland back in 2002 when car companies used to add a good 20% onto the price of UK spec cars over other EU countries. Although Land Rover Plc were a pain in the proverbials about the import, adding unnecessary delays, my local Land Rover dealership couldn't have been more happy to take my money to look after it.

I'm not importing a Cali, but the supplying dealer I've ordered from is not local to me. I guess I would probably go back to the supplying dealer if anything cropped up immediately after taking delivery, but after that I will be using a different one for servicing, warranty work, etc. I don't expect to have any difficulty with the relationship.

Having said that, I'm pleased to see @Martin has started a thread to find a pool of dealers with customer service - I'll be using that list to select a local dealer, or reporting back if I have to try one blind. I'm reasonably confident because Bury St Edmunds have quite a good reputation and the Vindis Van Centre at St Ives is moving to Cambridge and trying to get Lifestyle status from VW, so they might be improved.

Hi,
I know that you wanted to drive it back, but if you do decide to go down the transport route, these guys are great. http://emrogerstransport.com/car-transport/
They are the preferred transport company for where I used to work (think of cars with winged badges based in Gaydon) and are used constantly for moving test cars throughout Europe with no problems at all.

Hi
I know all about this problem. back in 2010 I bought a T5.1 from a Hanover dealer who put the LHD export plated California on the dealers insurance whilst I drove through Germany ,that was the OK bit but then on through Holland and if stopped just say, "you are an employee of the Dealer who only speaks English" .Over the next two days till arriving in Hull (when proper UK fully comp insurance started) aged prematurely. Would not do it again. Your solution, which is what I should have done, is to transport the VW or which is what I did earlier this year, is to buy in the UK from a UK VW dealer. We learn!

Good luck

Booking an Uber, that’s very risky too te the insurance.
I think you would be wise to transport it, have you tried Dayinsure (AVIVA)?

Last edited:
Hi and thanks. DVLA said that the car has to be in the UK when it's registered. :-(

(DVLA is linked to HMRC database now and they won't register a vehicle if the VAT hasn't been paid.)

p.s. sorry I meant to say yes it is new and therefore VAT payable here not Germany.
Could you get the paperwork sent over to you via email from the German dealer and then pay the UK VAT, this means that you should then be able register the car and get a UK registration. This would then enable you to insure the car and get plates made up to fit when you pick it up from the German dealer?

Could you get the paperwork sent over to you via email from the German dealer and then pay the UK VAT, this means that you should then be able register the car and get a UK registration. This would then enable you to insure the car and get plates made up to fit when you pick it up from the German dealer?
I guess I could do that in theory despite the DVLA saying no - I think it’s a good idea (unless something happened to the car on the way home - then you’ve paid vat on it already) but I THINK I’ve solved the issue after 3 days of solid calling to insurance companies. The Deckungskarten link i posted earlier said they could provide fully comp insurance (for Europe) for 30 days at €495. Not cheap but cheaper than a transporter. The way it worked was that the dealer sent copies of all the paperwork, I emailed it to the insurer, paid the premium online and they’re overnighting the insurance papers direct to the dealer to get the export plates. The underwriter is AXA. Hopefully it’s all correct and in order. Fingers crossed. I can’t work out if I’m excited or not any more Thank you all so much for your comments and advice - what a great place this is !

Admiral has been very helpful for me. They have a German parent company. Going by the law, you are not even allowed to drive it off the ship/train when you are resident in the UK. Only legal way seems to be transport on a trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admiral has been very helpful for me. They have a German parent company. Going by the law, you are not even allowed to drive it off the ship/train when you are resident in the UK. Only legal way seems to be transport on a trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may try Admiral tomorrow for the annual insurance. I’ve kind of had it with insurance companies now tbh. So many have reneged on what they said they would do, it’s really unprofessional, then they wait until the last minute (Adrian Flux) to give you the worst quote (£950) and tell you they need a Cat 5 Tracker, Cat 1 Alarm blah blah...

Hi. I imported my 204 4Motion Beach from France.

I had a similar problem. The solution that I ultimately found was a short term, fully comp policy from a French Insurance Company / Broker. It wasn't cheap but it covered me for two weeks which was enough to get it onto local plates.

Hi. I imported my 204 4Motion Beach from France.

I had a similar problem. The solution that I ultimately found was a short term, fully comp policy from a French Insurance Company / Broker. It wasn't cheap but it covered me for two weeks which was enough to get it onto local plates.
Hi Rupert, that’s pretty much what i’ve done with a German company for 30 days. Hopefully that’s enough to get it onto UK plates but the policy have from Germany is Fully Comp in Europe then it drops to 3rd party only when I get to the UK - It’s the insurance companies over here that I’m finding problematic. You can speak to an insurance company for ages and only when you’re about to sign up do they mention the tracker - so frustrating (although not a Cali specific issue). Anyway, I’m verging on just moaning now - How are you getting on with your Beach 4motion 204? Tell me it’s worth the hassle ! :) Stu

Hi Rupert, that’s pretty much what i’ve done with a German company for 30 days. Hopefully that’s enough to get it onto UK plates but the policy have from Germany is Fully Comp in Europe then it drops to 3rd party only when I get to the UK - It’s the insurance companies over here that I’m finding problematic. You can speak to an insurance company for ages and only when you’re about to sign up do they mention the tracker - so frustrating (although not a Cali specific issue). Anyway, I’m verging on just moaning now - How are you getting on with your Beach 4motion 204? Tell me it’s worth the hassle ! :) Stu
Hi Stu

I mostly drive in France and LHD is brilliant. It's also nice knowing that my spec isn't available in the UK.

I remember how it felt doing the importation, insurance etc and I asked myself at the time what was I doing!!!! A year later and I'm pleased that I made the effort.

My local dealer has also been really helpful and parts such as seat covers and a recent windscreen have been ordered off the chassis number.

Have a great road trip back to the UK!

What are you planning to do about the speedo dial? I found a company near London that would replace it.
Taking all the hassle into account I kept it on German tags. Especially when I saw the taxation over here :(
Good luck and enjoy the trip!

I imported a James Cook from Germany in 2007, and the Mercedes dealer put me in touch with a Germany company who drove the vehicle all the way for €1,000 (bear in mind that's ten years ago). Having imported a caravan myself on a previous occasion, this was a lot easier! The chap said he'd be on my drive at 7am the next morning, and arrived on the dot (I was most impressed). Oh, and insurance was the responsibility of the carrier (there was a charge included for this).

Also, I didn't need to get the speedo changed, because it was satisfactory to the DVLA inspector that the digital display could provide an MPH reading - so I doubt you would need to change the dials on the California (well, I didn't have to at any rate). I did have to change the headlights, which the Germany dealer did (never did receive the originals!)

We looked into this about 15 years ago when a lot of people were doing it and, as far as I can recall the dealer insured the vehicle to ferry. The buyer then arranged for their own insurance from there. It can be done, or it could then, continental dealers, particularly Belgian and German advertised in motor home magazines in the UK.

You know, everything finds its own level, in UK we worry & fret too much.

Here in Portugal we have our U.K. vehicles SORN off road, no MOT, insured locally on the understanding that if we crash, there will be a vehicle inspection, after all an MOT is only valid for the day of issue.

Life goes on....., but I keep my Cali UK legal due to travel throughout the EU.

Well, it’s here. Fully comp insurance was provided by this place: http://deckungskarten.eu/epages/336c867f-595e-43e2-a6b1-9050125999a8.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectID=19264205 It was bought online and delivered next day to the dealer in time to make up plates. The gentleman speaks good English and the email communication with him was excellent. The drive back from Bavaria took forever (roadworks in most of Germany it would seem), had the wing mirror clipped by an articulated lorry in a contra flow but it all snapped back together nicely. I’ve joined the fraternity, finally. Now for the VCA and DVLA bits. Thank you for all the advice that’s been offered. I’ve been made to feel very welcome!

4C9ECB43-382C-406C-8317-1977ADEC5A93.jpeg

You're all missing the point here...
He's booked a Ryanair flight, the rest is now irrelevant :talktothehand

You're all missing the point here...
He's booked a Ryanair flight, the rest is now irrelevant :talktothehand
:) ... not only was it not cancelled, it actually took off! albeit an hour or so late because they were replacing some ‘bits’ in the cockpit. Presumably under warranty.