Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No lights in pop up roof T6.1 after stormy night

Sweetpea Nina

Sweetpea Nina

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
After stormy night no lights working in pop up roof T6.1 rest all fine - where to start?

After stormy night no lights working in pop up roof T6.1 rest all fine - where to start?
Have you tried lowering roof and then putting it back up?

⭐️it worked! Got worried as read post lights go 1st then electric roof won’t close!
Away to have cuppa and thanks for speedy reply x

We have the same problem with our lights. Yes you can lower and raise the roof again to get the lights working but the issue for us is the roof slowly lowers and every 6 hours we have to raise the roof ie. we rise the roof 3/4 times a day to keep it fully up! This is particularly annoying when it is a windy night since in the middle of the night the roof has dropped quite a few inches and so the bellows start flapping and the noise wakes us up. All I can do is climb down in the dark, turn the ignition on and raise the roof. VW tell me they haven't had any such similar issues which is annoying since I feel we are unlikely to be the only ones with this problem? However it is booked in to Bristol in October (the earliest they could see it when I phoned in July!) but no doubt they will not take the time to replicate the problem. Be good to hear if anyone else has similar issues with the roof dropping and this also causing the lights not to work?

We have the same problem with our lights. Yes you can lower and raise the roof again to get the lights working but the issue for us is the roof slowly lowers and every 6 hours we have to raise the roof ie. we rise the roof 3/4 times a day to keep it fully up! This is particularly annoying when it is a windy night since in the middle of the night the roof has dropped quite a few inches and so the bellows start flapping and the noise wakes us up. All I can do is climb down in the dark, turn the ignition on and raise the roof. VW tell me they haven't had any such similar issues which is annoying since I feel we are unlikely to be the only ones with this problem? However it is booked in to Bristol in October (the earliest they could see it when I phoned in July!) but no doubt they will not take the time to replicate the problem. Be good to hear if anyone else has similar issues with the roof dropping and this also causing the lights not to work?
Have you had the software update for the 6.1 roof @GP ?

No I have not and hopefully they will do that in October when it goes in to be looked at. However VW assist (they came out to look at the problem) doesn't think that will help my problem since it is more likely a hydraulic issue and the software update is more to do with none closure. Do you think he is correct?

No I have not and hopefully they will do that in October when it goes in to be looked at. However VW assist (they came out to look at the problem) doesn't think that will help my problem since it is more likely a hydraulic issue and the software update is more to do with none closure. Do you think he is correct?
Quite possibly @GP, a few others on here including @andyinluton have the sagging roof issue and are struggling to get it resolved. One suggestion is that the seals in the hydraulic system may be the problem? New pump or new pump seals might be the fix?

We’ve been lucky so far with our 6.1 roof and had no problems. Roof up in Devon this week for 5 nights with no sagging and no autocorrection that i’m aware of.

Thank you I think you are right re the seals and that is what the helpful VW assist guy thought. I expect I'll have some difficulty with getting VW to agree? If anyone else with similar problems can give me details then the more of us that tell VW we know of others the more they may take notice adn fix the issue?

Thank you I think you are right re the seals and that is what the helpful VW assist guy thought. I expect I'll have some difficulty with getting VW to agree? If anyone else with similar problems can give me details then the more of us that tell VW we know of others the more they may take notice adn fix the issue?
Have you ever heard your roof autocorrecting @GP ? I believe it’s supposed to do so after 10 hours and then every 5 hours (we’ve never heard ours as previously said). Might be worth doing an experiment?

The point is that if the roof sagging means that you can’t get a good nights sleep or even read a book in the pop-top with no lights then you can justifiably argue that it is not fully fit for purpose as a camping vehicle. VW must surely remedy the problem under warranty for you even if that means replacing the hydraulic system.

VW must surely remedy the problem under warranty for you even if that means replacing the hydraulic system.
In theory that’s fine, problem is that Vw UK cannot get hold of any new pumps at the moment. So it doesn’t matter, even if your dealer says yes it needs a new pump and that will fix it, it isn’t actually going to get fixed at the moment.

The only thing the roof software update did, was to remove the lock that stopped you putting the roof up or down once it has sagged & the lights gone off.
It didn’t actually solve the roof sagging, just stopped people like me making a point by ringing Vw assist every morning for a week to ask them to come and put the roof down.

The only thing you can do is get it logged with the dealer & then just do the best you can.
We managed 4 weeks away with a saggy roof, used the plug in flexi light & disconnected the starter battery every morning to reset the system. After the year or two that we have had we were not going to let something as simple as that stop us going away.

Last edited:
In theory that’s fine, problem is that Vw UK cannot get hold of any new pumps at the moment. So it doesn’t matter, even if your dealer says yes it needs a new pump and that will fix it, it isn’t actually going to get fixed at the moment.

The only thing the roof software update did, was to remove the lock that stopped you putting the roof up or down once it has sagged & the lights gone off.
It didn’t actually solve the roof sagging, just stopped people like me making a point by ringing Vw assist every morning for a week to ask them to come and put the roof down.

The only thing you can do is get it logged with the dealer & then just do the best you can.
We managed 4 weeks away with a saggy roof, used the plug in flexi light & disconnected the starter battery every morning to reset the system. After the year or two that we have had we were not going to let something as simple as that stop us going away.
So frustrating for you!
With what seems like a growing list of component shortages I wonder what’s next.

I’m laid back about it, could be worse, we could still be waiting for a Cali to be delivered. We were going to order new in December & then we got the chance of our pre - registered, 5 day old van & jumped.

All in all we are glad we did, have camped for 4 weeks in it and now in Spain in a villa for another 4 weeks having driven down.
Compared to our old 140 the 199 cruises nicely at 150kmh and gets about 8 or 9 to the gallon more at those speeds.

The LED headlights without any beam blockers or covers are a million times better abroad as well.

Only concern is the DSG isn’t brilliant on the hill starts, our driveway is a 90 degree turn on a 1 in 3 hill & lots of the roads in the village are like that but have been using manual mode a lot which helps.

Being able to change the whole dashboard to work in kmh is absolutely brilliant as well, having the whole speedo changed is fantastic. Especially when matched with the speed limits in kmh coming up on the sat nav.