Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No more Sandy Balls!

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Westafalia club joker
Sandy Balls near Fordingbridge in the New Forest is no longer accepting tourers. They are expanding their static caravan/lodges facilities and closing their camping areas.
It's a shame as this was a useful all year round option ( with facilities ) for the New Forest .

That's a shame it's a good site for all year camping stayed there quite a few times.

Agree. A great pity. We've stayed there several times over the years with good memories.

Sure you can get the "sandy balls" experience somewhere else ( :) )

Great same as it seemed a popular site.

They are expanding their static caravan/lodges facilities
This is happening in a lot of places, including the CC (CMC?) and C & CC :(

Very disappointed last time I visited what was Keswick CC to find the best pitches now have lodges on.

Sandy Balls near Fordingbridge in the New Forest is no longer accepting tourers. They are expanding their static caravan/lodges facilities and closing their camping areas.
It's a shame as this was a useful all year round option ( with facilities ) for the New Forest .
Black Knowl CMC site, Brockenhurst, is open for another month. Two visits recently- excellent- right in the middle of the forest but with new toilet block.

It is sad that yet another site is no longer.taking tourers but the big problem is this again reduces the amount of touring pitches in an area resulting in other sites getting busier and busier.

This trend looks to continue as many times I have read reviews of a campsite only to go to their website and find they no longer have touring pitches.

On the other side of the coin, you can't blame the sites as they earn up to x6 for a static or lodge compared to what they would get for a touring pitch

I have never been there but in the article I read about they also said there was an issue with touring units getting bigger which I presume would impact on the number of people they could accommodate therefore reducing their margins.

Anyone know why they named the campsite Sandy Balls ?

Was it in a Carry On film.

Wikipedia is quite informative...

" The estate's name has been traced as far back as the reign of Henry VII. It appeared on maps and other documents of the time as "Sandyballas," which is the description given to the dome-shaped sand and gravel outcrops on the western boundary of the site. Many of these outcrops remain, including ones called Good Friday Hill and Giant’s Grave.

Due to the estate's name having a humorous sound in Modern English colloquial usage, Sandy Balls has been used in various jokes and comedies.

On the comedy panel show Have I Got News For You, guest host Alexander Armstrong introduced a promotional video for Sandy Balls that made fun of the resort's name. "

Nicer than Sandy Balls IMHO. Went to SB once - indoor pool was as murky as soup and the outdoor one contained a lesser known Cigar Fish. I’d never believed Mrs S2bear could walk on water until that point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As I mentioned in earlier post, Longmeadow is not open all year, which is a shame as the forest in the winter is great.