Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sandy Balls

G

gamort

VIP Member
We've had the Cali since the first week of October. The initial test run was carried out a couple of weeks back on the CC site in Cheddar. Everything worked perfectly, roof topper/mattress topper (thanks Nick) were great, it was a very windy/wet night and we were all very comfortable.

Just returned from a couple of nights at Sandy Balls :D in the New Forest. Again, it was very wet but this time we had the new Kela awning to try out. This worked better than expected, giving the kids plenty of space to play during the day. We managed to set it up without too much difficulty, and packing away was super easy. The amount of space is surprising when you include the section that attaches to the Cali.

We're thinking of visiting York during December for the Xmas market. Anyone have plans/suggestions for short camping trips over the Xmas period? Weather permitting...

Thanks
Gary

cali.jpg

Gary,

looks like you are getting some fun out of your Cali. Having a awning is a great idea especially with kids and on winter trips. :thumb

I modified a Crusader camping mobile mains unit, to get mains power to my awning, as well as to my Cali. Its useful in the winter because we can power a small fan heater in the awning to dry out any wet coats or other clothing. If you are interested you can download the modification of the Crusader mains unit from our download section.

Finally York is a great idea for a winter trip, although I have not been, I hear it is a great city with lots of things to do even if the weather gets bad.

Hope you have a great time. :D

John

Hi Gary,
I couldn't resist taking a look at the post after reading the title :lol:
Looking good :thumb glad we kept you all nice and dry!

Thanks John, that's a very useful mod and something I will definitely be adding to my kit. I was thinking of getting a delonghi bambino oil filled rad 500/800 watt. Good/bad idea?

Nick, you might notice from the amount of internal windscreen condensation I hadn't fitted your external windscreen cover :headbang

I forgot to pack it and needed to wring out the tax disc in the morning. Lesson has been learnt! I had no condensation on the Cheddar trip with the external cover fitted :thumb

Just had a lovely couple of day in York at the CC site at rountree park, perfect location 5mins walk from the Centre. Take a look at the railway museum if it’s raining or take a walk around the City wall if it isn't. We will be going back there at some point as two nights is really not enough. If you stay at that site there is a superb Indian restaurants at the end of the road at the rear of the site, name escapes me but recommended if you like Indian.

Ian

igmac said:
Just had a lovely couple of day in York at the CC site at rountree park, perfect location 5mins walk from the Centre. Take a look at the railway museum if it’s raining or take a walk around the City wall if it isn't. We will be going back there at some point as two nights is really not enough. If you stay at that site there is a superb Indian restaurants at the end of the road at the rear of the site, name escapes me but recommended if you like Indian.

Ian
Is the Rowntree site in York exclusive for CC members or do they allow anyone to book?

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link into their web site as I can't locate it on the CC web site?

snap!

Agree with the comments about the awning, easy to pitch and very spacious. Ours survived 3 very wet and windy nights in Keswick over half term. The only issue we had was the kador strip being moved by the wind, will try and clamp it on next time, and the plastic pegs supplied were useless on the hard standing.

DSCN9088.jpeg

gamort said:
Thanks John, that's a very useful mod and something I will definitely be adding to my kit. I was thinking of getting a delonghi bambino oil filled rad 500/800 watt. Good/bad idea?

Gary, our delonghi 3 KW fan heater works well. It heats up our awning quite fast, and its small and light to pack in the Cali. It has a fan only setting so can be used just as a cooling fan in the summer and it did not cost that much from Argos. It also gets used at home if we want to quickly heat up a room :thumb :D

John

sorry no link but details are: Terry Avenue,York,North Yorkshire,YO23 1JQ
01904 658997

it is on the cc site though and comes up on a google search

Ian

Thanks for the site tip, Ian. Unfortunately, it looks booked solid in December. Slight bugbear of the CC booking system ;)

HistoryBob, here's the link:
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/carava...s.aspx?csid=21970&arrivalDate=&departureDate=

Jennyddd, looking good! We had the same issue with the awning. It kept pulling to one side and sliding off the figure8/kafir strip. Otherwise it was perfect and appears to be very well made/designed.

Thanks again, John. I'll check that out. Dual purpose (cool/hot) isn't something I've thought about, good points.

gamort said:
sliding off the figure8/kafir strip. Otherwise it was perfect and appears to be very well made/designed.

No idea what a kafir strip is, sure i typed kador... :lol:

gamort said:

Nick, you might notice from the amount of internal windscreen condensation I hadn't fitted your external windscreen cover :headbang

I forgot to pack it and needed to wring out the tax disc in the morning. Lesson has been learnt! I had no condensation on the Cheddar trip with the external cover fitted :thumb

Firts glance I thought you had internal blinds up :lol: It is suprising how much different the external cover makes :thumb

gamort said:
Thanks for the site tip, Ian. Unfortunately, it looks booked solid in December. Slight bugbear of the CC booking system ;)

HistoryBob, here's the link:
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/carava...s.aspx?csid=21970&arrivalDate=&departureDate=

Thanks for the link. Last time I visited York for the day I used Park and Ride. Came back to find the car park locked up. They wanted £50 to unlock the gates which I didn't fancy so we just bedded down in the Cali for the night. There was a notice which said no overnight camping so as soon as the gate was unlock in the morning we made our getaway. Next time I'll use a camp site