Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No % on battery capacity

W

willbus

VIP Member
Quick question if you wouldnt mind! I have a 10 plate 180 cali which doesnt for some reason have a battery capacity shown in % - only as bars within the battery symbol (along with the battery voltage and current draw) Is this normal for a facelift t5 or is this just another 'every van is wired differently' thing?

Also this is probably a stupid question - but will the battery continue to charge off hook up when the control unit is switched off? Seem to have a constant drain of 0.2A (?from the display) which i imagine might be (very slightly) slowing the trickle charge process.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Willbus,

We also have a 2010 180DSG and do have the percentage symbol on the flight panel. I can only assume yours is an odd variation during the build that year.

The charge to the batteries happens either from the engine alternator or hook up irrespective of the flight panel being turned off. The panel is only an indicator and does not control the battery charging. That is done automatically. When the engine is off and you are not on hookup then nothing will be charged.

The 0.2 amp discharge is probably the drain of panel itself when switched on, and for a 2 x large capacity 12volt battery system is minimal and nothing to worry about. All SEs show this small discharge as far as I am aware.

Alan

Yes 0.2 amp draw is the control panel. Can change what it displays by pressing the button then rotating it tp select display & scroll & select what you want. Am sure rhis is in the cali supliment manual.

I've seen various people on here saying that the panel draws 0.2A. I can only comment on mine which always shows 0A when only the panel is on even with the backlight.

Freeley said:
I've seen various people on here saying that the panel draws 0.2A. I can only comment on mine which always shows 0A when only the panel is on even with the backlight.

I very much doubt that the panel is calibrated, so there will be variation between the readings on different panels. It is wise just to consider it as a useful guide to what is going on rather than definitive information.

Alan

Thanks for your help guys! Reassuring regarding the 0.2A draw!