Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No power on EHU

H

Hmb

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi guys
I plugged the EHU on my Beach into the mains at home to see if our fan heater would work. It must have been too powerful as it blew the electrics and now I can't get the power back.

I eventually located the RCD and have switched it back on, but still no dice.

Any other ideas? Do I need to reset it somehow?

could it be the fuse in the plug for the hookup cable? worth a quick check at least - not sure what they are fused at

What is the rating of the fan heater in watts?

Did the fan heater work for a moment?
If not it could be unrelated.

I had similar issue due to side window leak filling the charger with water (it’s located under the window)

trip the rcd and reset it again. try a different hook up cable. try another appliance in the plug socket such as a charger or something. as said check your fuses in the plug on the fan heater. and in the socket it was plugged into. try the fan heater in your house.

Thanks. Is there a rest button on the RCD or do you just flick the switch up (which I have done)?

Fan heater works in the house, socket in van doesn't work with other items. Don't have an alternative hook up cable though. Will check fuse in hook up...

I think theres a 'test' button on it which should trip it

Fuse in the plug has definitely gone so will change that. Hopefully that will fix it.

I assume that you are talking about the hook up lead? The fuse in the heater plug cannot have gone (operated) if it worked in the house.

If you are talking about the fan heater plug then it suggests that the fan heater or its wiring is faulty.

If that is the case I would replace it with the same or lower (i.e. not 13 amp) as you want the plug fuse to blow before anything else. Not sure what the wattage limit is for the ehu but suspect it's less than 3000

Initial draw of a 3kw heater may cause a large initial surge, 3kw is a big intial draw, try replacing the fuse and turning the heat element to cool and fan, then try again, increase the heat gradually.

Yes, fuse in the hook up rather than heater.
I have now ordered a low power "camping" ceramic fan heater from the shop.

Personally, once you’ve fixed the problem then I wouldn’t use that 3000 watt fan heater in the van.
a. It’s definite overkill for such a small area.

b. Not all campsites have 13 amp + supplies, some as low as 6 amps, so your 3000w could trip the campsite supply, upsetting your neighbours especially the big whites watching their soaps.

I bought this:
1592250317987.png
Eurom Fanheater 600. 600W, can be powered, even on campsites who only deliver 6A (there are a couple still in France :rolleyes:).
Couldn't try it out in the van yet, as I didn't go on holiday yet this spring :(.

Don't know what the Beach manual states but i'm pretty sure the manual that came with my SE has a limit in max watt given on things to plug in to the Cali's electrics.
Sure 3000w is way to much , good some fuse(s) blown or things might get melting...

Don't know what the Beach manual states but i'm pretty sure the manual that came with my SE has a limit in max watt given on things to plug in to the Cali's electrics.
Sure 3000w is way to much , good some fuse(s) blown or things might get melting...
I was thinking the same.
Is there someone who has a picture of the fuse at the back? It might be a 10A fuse, so everything more than 2300Watt will cause the fuse to trip.

I was thinking the same.
Is there someone who has a picture of the fuse at the back? It might be a 10A fuse, so everything more than 2300Watt will cause the fuse to trip.
As far as I am aware there is no fuse within the Mains power circuit, just the Circuit Breaker.

Maximum Power Rating for the Mains Circuit is 2500 watts, according to Handbook. Page 247.

That is the fuse I was talking about.
Not a fuse like this:
1592253117827.png
but this:
1592253177519.png

2500w max on mine. Hc should read his manual someday
Using our toaster toaster and having a phone charging at the same
time is living on the edge.