Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EHU on a Beach

jamesC

jamesC

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Has anybody installed an EHU in their Beach?

I know the latest Beach will have EHU as an option and I would love to see if they offer something similar to the SE or go a different route with a socket under the bonnet or somewhere else.

I am getting frustrated with the variable performance of my leisure battery and would like an elegant solution to get mains power in my Beach so I can run a CTEK charger before trips.

redredzimmer said:
Has anybody installed an EHU in their Beach?

I know the latest Beach will have EHU as an option and I would love to see if they offer something similar to the SE or go a different route with a socket under the bonnet or somewhere else.

I am getting frustrated with the variable performance of my leisure battery and would like an elegant solution to get mains power in my Beach so I can run a CTEK charger before trips.

Ours will hopefully be getting done in two weeks :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Would love to hear about it, what route have you gone down and who is doing it for you??

Just fitted. Charges the leisure battery and provides 240v socket on hook up. Rcd fitted also for piece of mind.

uploadfromtaptalk1378233464161.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1378233478087.jpg

Good work neat looking job :thumb

Bigbud said:
Just fitted. Charges the leisure battery and provides 240v socket on hook up. Rcd fitted also for piece of mind.

Lovely install... Any issues with heat under the bonnet where the inlet is??

Also, was the cable routing a massive task, or not too bad??

redredzimmer said:
Bigbud said:

The plug still looks fine, when I fit the cable after the engines been running it still seems good.

I can't tell you what running the cable was like as I didn't do it, Paid about £300 inc fitting for this guy http://www.travelvolts.com/ to do it. Still really happy with the system, I actually prefer the socket under the bonnet to the one fitted on the side of the van.

For the cost of fitting I wouldn't mess about with 240v in the van even thou I was trained in electrical engineering, he's fit so many of them its just not worth the agro fighting with your van for a weekend when he did it in 3 hours.

Bigbud said:
redredzimmer said:
Bigbud said:

The plug still looks fine, when I fit the cable after the engines been running it still seems good.

I can't tell you what running the cable was like as I didn't do it, Paid about £300 inc fitting for this guy http://www.travelvolts.com/ to do it. Still really happy with the system, I actually prefer the socket under the bonnet to the one fitted on the side of the van.

For the cost of fitting I wouldn't mess about with 240v in the van even thou I was trained in electrical engineering, he's fit so many of them its just not worth the agro fighting with your van for a weekend when he did it in 3 hours.

I really like this.

James

I've just spoken to these guys.

http://www.vwtransportercraft.com/Contact%20Us.html

They do all sorts to T5's. They can ft a basic system under the bonnet system for around £200. This won't charge the leisure battery.

Under the bonnet, then up through the van with a socket in the van, I would place it on the seat base, which precludes the fitting of an aftermarket heater but I am not too concerned about that.

Tempted.

James

I was advised against using the plastic seat back for the socket as it pulls off when unplugging stuff.

Also why are you bothering with ehu if not to charge the leisure battery? May as well just run an extension for a socket.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Bigbud said:
I was advised against using the plastic seat back for the socket as it pulls off when unplugging stuff.

Also why are you bothering with ehu if not to charge the leisure battery? May as well just run an extension for a socket.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I am just going through some ideas at the moment. I want to know more about the possibilities. I am not sure what I want to do at present.

I spose not charging the leisure battery means - you don't have to run an extension through the window, we've never found that to be a problem.

You'd be doing this for convenience as much as anything.

I guess we have to way all this up, we never spend significant lengths of time away where we are relaying on the leisure battery.

There's lots of options out there, and I have seen it down a number of different ways, so for me, it's just about understand what can be done and the different options

James

Being able to charge the Leisure battery is massive, even with plenty of round town driving its never full. Being able to charge it before we go means its is fully topped off.

We run our fridge along with the heater off the LB, whilst plugged into EHU there is enough juice to run both and charge at the same time. The ipads/ipods/phones & lappy all charge/run off the LB too. Having the socket was actually just a bonus for us, it means o/h can use hair dryer ect when on EHU.

I wouldn't limit yourself for the sake of £100, get a good charger for your LB too. Contact travelvolts, he does travel to area's to do the work.

Bigbud said:
Being able to charge the Leisure battery is massive, even with plenty of round town driving its never full. Being able to charge it before we go means its is fully topped off.

We run our fridge along with the heater off the LB, whilst plugged into EHU there is enough juice to run both and charge at the same time. The ipads/ipods/phones & lappy all charge/run off the LB too. Having the socket was actually just a bonus for us, it means o/h can use hair dryer ect when on EHU.

I wouldn't limit yourself for the sake of £100, get a good charger for your LB too. Contact travelvolts, he does travel to area's to do the work.

Well i will enquire about a system for doing that - to be honest, I went today to understand how these systems work and what I would be gaining.

But I take your advice :thanks

James

Well...

I seem to have talked myself into a system similar to Bigbud, with a socket in the van.

Going to see about it being installed in May

Of course, I've asked for a yellow socket.

i did speak to Travelvolts, there are a few people here (being the southwest) who do camper conversions and the guy I saw today seems good, I looked over his work, asked questions etc. Will wait and see :)

James

James said:
Well...

I seem to have talked myself into a system similar to Bigbud, with a socket in the van.

i did speak to Travelvolts, there are a few people here (being the southwest) who do camper conversions and the guy I saw today seems good, I looked over his work, asked questions etc. Will wait and see :)

James

Did you go for this James?

I have found a company in Witham called AJR Power Solutions... Being you old neck of the woods, I wondered if you had ever come across them??

Typically the installs they do are for larger motor homes, and commercial vehicles.

redredzimmer said:
James said:
Well...

James

Did you go for this James?

I have found a company in Witham called AJR Power Solutions... Being you old neck of the woods, I wondered if you had ever come across them??

Typically the installs they do are for larger motor homes, and commercial vehicles.

I didn't go for it in the end, just the cost, for me, i couldn't justify it. It would be nice to have but I have never gone away and really needed it. Perhaps if we camped a lot more or went away like you, yes, I could see a reason.

I haven't heard of the company but, it should a straight forward thing to do. My main concern was taking off trim, removing seats, I wanted someone I could trust and I am a little bit nervous about letting someone loose on Betty Custard :)

Are you going to go for it?

James

Yup - will be done next week.

They are also going to add some flying leads to the leisure battery so that I can easily attach a briefcase solar panel when necessary!!

Gulp... I am nervous, but it will make a big difference to us.

redredzimmer said:
Yup - will be done next week.

They are also going to add some flying leads to the leisure battery so that I can easily attach a briefcase solar panel when necessary!!

Gulp... I am nervous, but it will make a big difference to us.

You're away a lot - so yes, it will. I look forward to seeing it :)

James