Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No power on hookup!

F

FyfettBoy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all
This might seem a hackneyed topic but I've scoured the forum and not seen anything that helps my specific circumstances!

Typically, off to an off-grid event this weekend so plugged Cali in last night to charge ready (as I have done many times before). Vaguely concerned that the control unit display didn't look like normal (and come to think of it neither did it the last time), I read the manual and the forums and realised it wasn't charging!

Trouble is, none of the usual solutions/suggestions help:
- there's no power at the kitchen socket
- I've reseated the charger socket under the wardrobe
- tested the lead using another extension with mains socket- it's fine
- test button on RCD does nothing - so is this no power reaching it or is it broken?

Any advice? All I can think is either something wrong in connector such that power not reaching RCD or RCD has failed?

Help!
Thanks

Have you tried moving the two switches on the RCD panel the other way. I think the Germans make those with red as live and green as ‘off’

Did you push the hook-up plug in deep enough? (very common mistake)
Does all the stuff works when not plugged in the mains , using just the lesure batts ?
What symbol is giving by the control panel? When on hook-up , when engine running ...
The test button on the RCD only works when plugged in the mains and should trip the RCD .
Have you resetted the control panel?

Hi all
This might seem a hackneyed topic but I've scoured the forum and not seen anything that helps my specific circumstances!

Typically, off to an off-grid event this weekend so plugged Cali in last night to charge ready (as I have done many times before). Vaguely concerned that the control unit display didn't look like normal (and come to think of it neither did it the last time), I read the manual and the forums and realised it wasn't charging!

Trouble is, none of the usual solutions/suggestions help:
- there's no power at the kitchen socket
- I've reseated the charger socket under the wardrobe
- tested the lead using another extension with mains socket- it's fine
- test button on RCD does nothing - so is this no power reaching it or is it broken?

Any advice? All I can think is either something wrong in connector such that power not reaching RCD or RCD has failed?

Help!
Thanks
No power anywhere and test button on RCBO not working makes me think no power to the van so check your garage/home socket and lead etc. first. Make sure the lead is pushed fully in to the outside connection.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Have you tried moving the two switches on the RCD panel the other way. I think the Germans make those with red as live and green as ‘off’
Up is usually the on position.

No point looking at anything inside of the RCBO until that has power and can trip with test button.
Cable, socket, rcbo.
Camper_Electrics_Ocean.jpg
As soon as you have this working then there should be power to the mains socket.
Then move onto the charger etc.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all your very quick response!

I have tried the breaker in up and down positions (agree green and red colouring is counterintuitive!), have unplugged and plugged hookup numerous times (the socket is a right bugger to be honest) and I've even checked the lead output with a multimeter. Haven't reset the control panel, but given that power isn't passing the RCD this seems rather superfluous. Things work fine on battery.

My next step is to unscrew the external socket and remove the rcd panel to do some more multimeter investigation if no one has a better plan!

• Agree
Thanks Loz, great diagram saw that somewhere else on another thread, I think I'm at the socket point right now - that's got to be the issue? Maybe?

Looks like either a loose connection on the external plug or RCBO connections. Unlikely to be a faulty RCBO unit if it feels ok switching on & off . Have you got a volt stick? Very useful for safely checking for mains voltage on cables and ancillaries etc.

• Agree
For your collective info’s,

Up (red) is live. (Red means danger)
Down (green) is off/tripped. (Green is safe).

Just get a volt stick and you’ll soon find out where there is a live cable.

Also try operating the trip very slowly and see if you can feel it engage, as you could have a fault that is tripping it as you throw the switch; in which case if you do it gently you will feel it trip and the lever go slack.

Trip feels ok; volt stick is new one on me (have been using a voltage detector as well as trusty multimeter) but looks great! Must get one!

I'll check the connections tomorrow... it's such a simple system, what else could be wrong?!

Will let you know what I find...

We had RCBO unit fail
could get power as far as unit but not past it.

'll check the connections tomorrow... it's such a simple system, what else could be wrong?!

I carry a volt stick and a socket tester as the volt stick will tell you if it is live but cannot tell you if the neutral is missing.
Here is my hook-up collection, you can test all possibilities with this;
IMG_0429.jpg IMG_0430.jpg IMG_0431.jpg

Had a Fluke PATester........briefly!

Thanks for asking, not yet as I didn't have a chance to pursue at the weekend - we were away in the Cali. Off grid, so perversely it didn't matter, having already got 90% in the batteries.
Got to get it fixed now though!

Well, sure you're all on tenterhooks waiting on the verdict... OK, maybe not but anyway the good news is nothing wrong with the Cali!
20180619_205002.jpg
Turns out that it was a fault in the UK plug to camping socket adaptor lead. Even though I'd tested the leads every which way, and got this lead to work fine in the house, the fault was intermittent due to a pulled neutral wire.

When straight, no connection; bent, no problem! Multimeter proved it. Confused the hell out of me at first when it appeared to work with a long cable but not a short one...

So, bit of work with a screwdriver and we're back in business. Thanks for all of your advice, and sorry for wasting your time!

Thanks, no not seen that but I already have the 2 products they are offering as a replacement, so I’ll hang on to it and just be wary if it shows up the missing earth fault :)

That’s why sparks use a Megger to carry out an insulation test. Continuity with a voltmeter is only the first step. Still good you found it.

In a former life I worked as a sound recordist in the film and TV industries.

Soundies always had lots of cables connecting stuff together (mics to mixers, mixers to recorders, mixers to headphones and so on) and if there was a fault, the first place to check was always the cables.

The kit was rarely at fault, being expensive and well built, but it was very easy to pull a cable inadvertently and break a connection.

Good you found the problem so quickly.

Alan

I carry a volt stick and a socket tester as the volt stick will tell you if it is live but cannot tell you if the neutral is missing.
Here is my hook-up collection, you can test all possibilities with this;
View attachment 34014 View attachment 34015 View attachment 34016
I have one addition and that I carry, a phase reverse adapter.

A male and female CEE connector with deliberately reversed brown and blue cables in one of them, clearly marked as reversed.

You would be surprised how many hook up posts are wired anti-phase in European campsites.

Alan